The Student Room Group

How to improve English grades?

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to improve GSCE English lit and language grades? (bearing in mind I'm in year 10?) Thanks!:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Read a lot (especially any A*, even A Level essays you can find) and write a lot (practise makes perfect).

Apart from that, make sure you know your material (quotes + plot of each text).

Good luck :biggrin:

(Source: my A* at GCSE, A at AS and predicted A* at A Level)
Reply 2
Original post by Comeback
Read a lot (especially any A*, even A Level essays you can find) and write a lot (practise makes perfect).

Apart from that, make sure you know your material (quotes + plot of each text).

Good luck :biggrin:

(Source: my A* at GCSE, A at AS and predicted A* at A Level)

Okay, Thanks! :smile:
I had a similar problem in year 10, and to overcome it, I read more, and wrote more essays.
As boring as it seems to write essays, they really help with your linguistic techniques and so on :smile:

Go onto the board website which your school is using, I would presume OCR, but possibly AQA, go onto their website and have a look at some past papers, and essay questions and have a go. Try to do some persuasive argument essays, they really help.
Reply 4
Original post by avi_jmister
I had a similar problem in year 10, and to overcome it, I read more, and wrote more essays.
As boring as it seems to write essays, they really help with your linguistic techniques and so on :smile:

Go onto the board website which your school is using, I would presume OCR, but possibly AQA, go onto their website and have a look at some past papers, and essay questions and have a go. Try to do some persuasive argument essays, they really help.

Okay thanks, thats really great advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest