The Student Room Group

Advice for choosing an instrument?

I'd like to take up an instrument in Lower Sixth as it wasn't offered to me before. I really like Cello, Violin and Flute but which to choose... any ideas on how to work that out? I have listened to trios, solos and duets to get an idea but yeah.

Experiences would be appreciated also.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JayJay-C19
I'd like to take up an instrument in Lower Sixth as it wasn't offered to me before. I really like Cello, Violin and Flute but which to choose... any ideas on how to work that out? I have listened to trios, solos and duets to get an idea but yeah.

Which do you like the sound of most? I would warn that violin it takes a LONG time of playing to get a decent, non-scratchy sound out of it, but once you can it's lovely! Cello I love the sound of, flute can take a while to get a sound out at first but when you do is again, lovely. I play flute and love it, so any questions about that specifically feel free :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All instruments and lessons are expensive. I play the violin and I have done for 9 years.
It's the type of instrument that takes years to not cause pain to others ears.
I hear that the cello is easier but it is also not very practical when trying to carry it about.
I can't really give an opinion on the flute as I don't play it and don't play with those who do.

Try renting or trying out the instruments in a music shop. They're all lovely instruments but the one that you enjoy the most is the one you should pick.
Reply 3
I would suggest looking at prices because some orchestral instruments can be very expensive, but listen to pieces and think about what you want to do with playing and what sort of music you prefer. Do you want to play with friends, in an orchestra or as a soloist or if you don't want to perform at all and just play for yourself.
I play classical guitar, but i love listening to cellos they have a great tone. The flute is slightly more versatile than the others, i think, in terms of different genres of pieces that have been written for it. The violin is of course a great instrument too, it is one of the more popular classical instruments, for it's portability, 'intense' sound and probably has the best range in price for the above three.
I hope this has been somewhat helpful :smile:
Reply 4

I used to play violin, it didn't really take much time to start sounding decent and it was a really cool and enjoyable/ impressive instrument to play. Good luck either way :smile:
I've played the violin for 10 years, and as already said, it takes a long time playing it to get to a good standard. still, i absolutely love it, and all those hours of painful screeching paid off in the end. which instrument do you like the sound of the most/picture yourself playing? the flute would probably be the easiest to pick up in terms of technique, then the cello and violin. The cello is roughly the same as the violin in terms of difficulty (if not, slightly easier) but its size makes it inconvenient.
Reply 6
Original post by furryface12
Which do you like the sound of most? I would warn that violin it takes a LONG time of playing to get a decent, non-scratchy sound out of it, but once you can it's lovely! Cello I love the sound of, flute can take a while to get a sound out at first but when you do is again, lovely. I play flute and love it, so any questions about that specifically feel free :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well what do you know, Flute became my favourite after listening to stuff!

I am put off of the Violin but I do like the Cello. However, I am worried the Cello is limited as it seems to be more of an accompanying instrument as opposed to one you have more flexibility with.
Reply 7
Original post by Nicolalmh
All instruments and lessons are expensive. I play the violin and I have done for 9 years.
It's the type of instrument that takes years to not cause pain to others ears.
I hear that the cello is easier but it is also not very practical when trying to carry it about.
I can't really give an opinion on the flute as I don't play it and don't play with those who do.

Try renting or trying out the instruments in a music shop. They're all lovely instruments but the one that you enjoy the most is the one you should pick.

Thanks! I do like the Cello and the Flute more than the Violin.

I can pay between £100 and £300 a term for lessons with like one or two a week. Which I think would be okay. I know at my old school it was like £60 haha!
Reply 8
Original post by Roryy
I would suggest looking at prices because some orchestral instruments can be very expensive, but listen to pieces and think about what you want to do with playing and what sort of music you prefer. Do you want to play with friends, in an orchestra or as a soloist or if you don't want to perform at all and just play for yourself.
I play classical guitar, but i love listening to cellos they have a great tone. The flute is slightly more versatile than the others, i think, in terms of different genres of pieces that have been written for it. The violin is of course a great instrument too, it is one of the more popular classical instruments, for it's portability, 'intense' sound and probably has the best range in price for the above three.
I hope this has been somewhat helpful :smile:

It has been very helpful. I like the strings in orchestral music and when you listen to Lana Del Rey's songs in acoustic with her orchestra/group of musicians playing Cellos and Violins and stuff it's just beautiful!

I am less geared to the Violin, however.
Reply 9
Original post by Qaiys
I used to play violin, it didn't really take much time to start sounding decent and it was a really cool and enjoyable/ impressive instrument to play. Good luck either way :smile:

Thank-you :smile:!
Well what do you know, Flute became my favourite after listening to stuff!

I am put off of the Violin but I do like the Cello. However, I am worried the Cello is limited as it seems to be more of an accompanying instrument as opposed to one you have more flexibility with.

Yay! :biggrin: As others have said though, they can all be expensive (and in terms of the most basic ones flutes will be a lot more than, say, a violin) so you may want to borrow/hire one from somewhere o see if you like it first if you can :yep: I used to borrow mine from my primary school! :smile: I agree that flute is very good for versatility, the others can be too though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by TheTechN1304
I've played the violin for 10 years, and as already said, it takes a long time playing it to get to a good standard. still, i absolutely love it, and all those hours of painful screeching paid off in the end. which instrument do you like the sound of the most/picture yourself playing? the flute would probably be the easiest to pick up in terms of technique, then the cello and violin. The cello is roughly the same as the violin in terms of difficulty (if not, slightly easier) but its size makes it inconvenient.

I could really see myself with the Cello but I do love the Flute.
Reply 12
Yay! :biggrin: As others have said though, they can all be expensive (and in terms of the most basic ones flutes will be a lot more than, say, a violin) so you may want to borrow/hire one from somewhere o see if you like it first if you can :yep: I used to borrow mine from my primary school! :smile: I agree that flute is very good for versatility, the others can be too though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say price is less of a worry to me.
I could really see myself with the Cello but I do love the Flute.

you could always have a taster lesson with both and see which you prefer? they're both great instruments so it's worth a shot.
I'd say price is less of a worry to me.

Fair enough, flute could be good then! Just don't go and buy a really expensive one then decide you don't want to play it any more :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by TheTechN1304
you could always have a taster lesson with both and see which you prefer? they're both great instruments so it's worth a shot.

Well, I used to play the flute and then I gave up but this was a few years back. It bugged me haha. I would love to try Cello. I just don't know what to expect with it though like I do the other two.
Reply 16
Fair enough, flute could be good then! Just don't go and buy a really expensive one then decide you don't want to play it any more :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that with flute years ago hahahaha I wont now so dont worry.
I did that with flute years ago hahahaha I wont now so dont worry.

Fair enough, good luck then! Any questions feel free to ask but I really can't think of what to say about it off the top of my head right now :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Fair enough, good luck then! Any questions feel free to ask but I really can't think of what to say about it off the top of my head right now :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it was years ago since I played and I can't remember anything at all. What's it like during your first few lessons?
Reply 19
Lol the cello's not an accompanying instrument, there are some crazy hard concertos written for it and even in the orchestra your part is always really interesting.

I play the flute and if I had to choose again 8 years later which to play I'd definitely go for cello or flute.

Quick Reply

Latest