The Student Room Group

IOT - Initial Officer Training

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
InaSpin
For instance, the last Linton (second streaming board) course to graduate - Only one was assessed good enough to continue to Valley (although there will probably a re-stream for that person as well!) The rest all got streamed somewhere else or chopped from the system.

Your source isn't right. The last course to be restreamed at Linton did very well; the majority went to Valley! I seem to remember 2 went rotary and 1 went ME from the last full course to finish.

If you include the last large restreaming involving multiple courses, again I think 11 from 30-odd were restreamed with 8 going rotary and 3 going ME. This included any from the course mentioned above who were beyond the FNT stage; if they were, they were lumped into the large restreaming, if they weren't, they were considered seperately at the end of the course.

The current numbers are running about 75% to Valley. I don't know who told you your numbers, but I have enough sources to be very well informed on how Linton Role Confirmation Boards are running. You're doing 21* course a fairly major injustice here!

In case you're unsure how the system works; there's been a disassociation between the Linton "pass" wings standard and the Valley entry standard. The Valley entry standard now varies very slightly with required input, but in general an Average student will still get his wings but only a High Average student will have a good chance of getting to Valley.

InaSpin
At the last re-stream (Prior to Valley streaming board for a number of Linton courses who have completed), something like 4 went multi, 12 went FJ and the rest went choppers. There were 32 or thereabouts being restreamed.

32-odd restreamees, yes. 11 restreamed; 8 rotary, 3 ME. Those numbers are 100% correct. That's 21 FJ, not 12.

InaSpin
There is no set percentage! It goes one what available and what is needed at the time of streaming.

Pretty much correct.

InaSpin
Also on a board, if no one is good enough for FJ, they won't go FJ (Correct me if this is wrong!)

Slightly incorrect; you need to keep feeding the system, but if you have enough in the hold you can do that.
Reply 141
Raptor
Having been in the UAS world I know that the numbers vary from board to board. However, as long as I've been involved or followed events it always seems that vastly more Pilots end up on 'Choppers'. This was the point of my question. How can 8 RW Sqns support the number of Pilots that the system is churning out?

Think about it; 12 pilots from every board (say), with around 3-4 boards a year? That's 6 new pilots per squadron per year. It's easy enough to have that many leave, when you consider the 55/40/38/12yr/20yr/18yr option points, plus postings to all the non-operational jobs people can get.

We're slipping towards a rotary air force really.
Reply 142
Wzz
Think about it; 12 pilots from every board (say), with around 3-4 boards a year? That's 6 new pilots per squadron per year. It's easy enough to have that many leave, when you consider the 55/40/38/12yr/20yr/18yr option points, plus postings to all the non-operational jobs people can get.

We're slipping towards a rotary air force really.

Thanks.

So how do 16 frontline FJ Sqns make do with 20 Pilots a year? Is it literally 1 or 2 per sqn per year now?
Wzz
Your source isn't right. The last course to be restreamed at Linton did very well; the majority went to Valley! I seem to remember 2 went rotary and 1 went ME from the last full course to finish.

If you include the last large restreaming involving multiple courses, again I think 11 from 30-odd were restreamed with 8 going rotary and 3 going ME. This included any from the course mentioned above who were beyond the FNT stage; if they were, they were lumped into the large restreaming, if they weren't, they were considered seperately at the end of the course.

The current numbers are running about 75% to Valley. I don't know who told you your numbers, but I have enough sources to be very well informed on how Linton Role Confirmation Boards are running. You're doing 21* course a fairly major injustice here!

In case you're unsure how the system works; there's been a disassociation between the Linton "pass" wings standard and the Valley entry standard. The Valley entry standard now varies very slightly with required input, but in general an Average student will still get his wings but only a High Average student will have a good chance of getting to Valley.

32-odd restreamees, yes. 11 restreamed; 8 rotary, 3 ME. Those numbers are 100% correct. That's 21 FJ, not 12.

Pretty much correct.

Slightly incorrect; you need to keep feeding the system, but if you have enough in the hold you can do that.

I didn't say my figures were correct; I heard the places for FJ from a very reliable source or 3 were 12 places for FJ. That was before the actual restream so don't know what happened there.
And I know 2 who went multis.
Reply 144
InaSpin
I didn't say my figures were correct; I heard the places for FJ from a very reliable source or 3 were 12 places for FJ. That was before the actual restream so don't know what happened there.
And I know 2 who went multis.

Who on earth was the "reliable" source who told you

InaSpin
For instance, the last Linton (second streaming board) course to graduate - Only one was assessed good enough to continue to Valley (although there will probably a re-stream for that person as well!) The rest all got streamed somewhere else or chopped from the system.

... because that's exceptionally innacurate.
Just a little help for anyone who needs it. I had a mate just graduate IOT in June and he had a look over my IOT program, the updated one is below.

IOT Breakdown
TERM 1
Week 1-Week 4: Military Skills-Weapon Training, First Aid, Essential Service Knowledge, Physical Education, Drill, Navigation Exercise, Leadership (Fundamentals-PICSIE)

Week 5: Leadership Hangar Exercises

Week 6: Academic Leadership Static (Leadership building)

Week 7: Leadership Dynamic 1 (at RITC Fairbourne, Wales)
Week 8: Leadership Dynamic 2 (at RITC Fairbourne, Wales)

Week 9: Military Skills Ex, 1 week

Week 10: Leadership Test - Exercise Active Edge

Then a review and leave (1 week)

TERM 2
Week 11: Intro to academics

Week 12: Exercise - Mil Aid (Military Aid to Civil Powers)

Week 13 - Week 15: Academics-Operational studies, Oral Communications, Essential Service Knowledge, Staff Studies, Written Communications, Leadership (Transactional)

Week 16: Exercise Planning , Military Skills (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) (also known as CBRT Week)

Week 17-Week 18: Decisive Edge - 2x 6hr assessed leads in a force protection environment

Week 19: Academic Exams

Week 20: Graduation Support for Term 3

Recommendation to progress and leave (1 week)

TERM 3
Week 21: Leadership Academics

Week 22-Week 25: Basic Air Warfare Course (BAWC)/Grantown-on-Spey (AT training)/Care in Command, Station Visit (Job Shadowing)

Week 26: Exercise Planning for Op Mucronis, London visit?

Week 27- Week 28: Operation Mucronis (Edge,sword,blade) - Combined Operations Centre, 2x 6hr Leads

Week 29: Graduation Preparation (Drill Drill Drill)

Week 30: Graduation

The main thing is that in term 2, the ex is known as Decisive Edge, and its known as Op Mucronis in term three. To quote the conversation I had with him:
'Ahh yes, in term 2 you'll know it as decisive edge, you are basically assessed for 2 x 6 hour leads,in a force protection environment.
Term 3 is at the same time and place, but you'll have a control centre (COC) that you run, it's more of a joint forces element. For term three you'll know it as op mucronis'
Reply 146
Great update jannisjr. Do you know what Op Mucronis involves? Haven't seen that one before.
Its effectively the same as Decisive edge. It involves protecting an airfield, each of you is given a chance to lead for an extended period of time within your squads. You have to arrange patrols, and have a control centre to run.

To be honest, I don't know anymore than that. As far as i'm aware, they don't give out any more in depth info than that because its not deemed too important, knowing the op names and some context is good enough.
Original post by lewismansell
Great update jannisjr. Do you know what Op Mucronis involves? Haven't seen that one before.

It hasn't changed, really, from when it was DE1 and DE2, it's still the next step up, it's more management of the sector rather than operation of it. That's really all you need to know, any more is just unnecessary at this stage.
Original post by jannisjr
Just a little help for anyone who needs it. I had a mate just graduate IOT in June and he had a look over my IOT program, the updated one is below.

IOT Breakdown
TERM 1
Week 1-Week 4: Military Skills-Weapon Training, First Aid, Essential Service Knowledge, Physical Education, Drill, Navigation Exercise, Leadership (Fundamentals-PICSIE)

Week 5: Leadership Hangar Exercises

Week 6: Academic Leadership Static (Leadership building)

Week 7: Leadership Dynamic 1 (at RITC Fairbourne, Wales)
Week 8: Leadership Dynamic 2 (at RITC Fairbourne, Wales)

Week 9: Military Skills Ex, 1 week

Week 10: Leadership Test - Exercise Active Edge

Then a review and leave (1 week)

TERM 2
Week 11: Intro to academics

Week 12: Exercise - Mil Aid (Military Aid to Civil Powers)

Week 13 - Week 15: Academics-Operational studies, Oral Communications, Essential Service Knowledge, Staff Studies, Written Communications, Leadership (Transactional)

Week 16: Exercise Planning , Military Skills (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) (also known as CBRT Week)

Week 17-Week 18: Decisive Edge - 2x 6hr assessed leads in a force protection environment

Week 19: Academic Exams

Week 20: Graduation Support for Term 3

Recommendation to progress and leave (1 week)

TERM 3
Week 21: Leadership Academics

Week 22-Week 25: Basic Air Warfare Course (BAWC)/Grantown-on-Spey (AT training)/Care in Command, Station Visit (Job Shadowing)

Week 26: Exercise Planning for Op Mucronis, London visit?

Week 27- Week 28: Operation Mucronis (Edge,sword,blade) - Combined Operations Centre, 2x 6hr Leads

Week 29: Graduation Preparation (Drill Drill Drill)

Week 30: Graduation

The main thing is that in term 2, the ex is known as Decisive Edge, and its known as Op Mucronis in term three. To quote the conversation I had with him:
'Ahh yes, in term 2 you'll know it as decisive edge, you are basically assessed for 2 x 6 hour leads,in a force protection environment.
Term 3 is at the same time and place, but you'll have a control centre (COC) that you run, it's more of a joint forces element. For term three you'll know it as op mucronis'

The leave between terms is 2 weeks and both decisive edge exercises are known as OP mucronis in scenario, they are both still DE, just DE 1 and 2. DE1 is your two (or three if you fail one) 6 hr leads, you work in one of the four roles for 18 hrs a day with you leading at randomly selected points. In term 3, you don't lead unless you failed two of your three on DE1. You also don't do the familiarisation with the regiment for 3 days beforehand. DE2 is split into 3, you'll spend 2 1/2 days joining in as a general bod in the exercise, 2 1/2 playing 'home nation' (the enemy) and 2 1/2 in the combined ops centre, keeping the ex running by providing kit, granting permission for things, authorising and arranging ambulances, police etc (in scenario, not real ones) etc etc.

You also don't job shadow or stn visit in term 3 anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by teasin_tina
You also don't job shadow or stn visit in term 3 anymore

Because there aren't any to visit anymore, mumble grumble....
Teasin Tina (or anyone else in the know!)

I've been just refreshing my info about IOT and flying training pipelines. I'm not sure what role you're going for, but I found a powerpoint on 22 groups RAF page (they appear to have updated the website info recently). There's a bunch of these promulgated with all the flying training on them, however this one also lists IOT as 35 weeks now?

I plan to just recite the IOT program I know at OASC because its the information I was given by the careers guys, but is this the case? Obviously, if I get in i'm gonna have to do it, so its nice to know what i'm in for!

Heres the link to the page, and the powerpoint is at the bottom, dated April '14.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/no22traininggroup/organisation/dft.cfm

If its the case, then ill be beavering away searching for an up to date IOT program.
It's listed as 35 because it includes the 2x 2 week leave periods, where remedial training might be given, and a week's flex when it might crossover Christmas and the base shuts down.

It's more a case of "this is how long it will take to complete the course", rather than "there is 35 weeks' worth of content".
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheers drewski
Original post by jannisjr
Cheers drewski

It's similar in the flying training side, they allow x amount of time for the course, but other factors come into it. If the weather's great, you'll fly through it (pun intended), but if the weather's crap, it could take longer. I've known guys take quite long holidays when they should be technically 'on course'.

Quick Reply

Latest