The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jatyization
How is everybody funding their degree abroad at Charles university? I really want to do medicine there as a back up choice in case my A-Levels aren't up to scratch for medical schools in the UK, but i was wandering how your funding your degrees

Pretty much the parents pay the tuition fees
Hey guys :smile: I'm currently studying first year Medicine in Charles University, Hradec Kralove. If you have any questions, just ask away :smile:
Hello,
I am about to start at the first faculty !
How is life in Prague? Also, does learning the czech is mandatory? Do you know anything about the erasmus program?
Thank you =)
Original post by iriskesh
Hello,
I am about to start at the first faculty !
How is life in Prague? Also, does learning the czech is mandatory? Do you know anything about the erasmus program?
Thank you =)

Life in Prague is brilliant and cheap! Czech is a compulsory course, but you only learn it for the first 3 years. I don't know much about the Erasmus programme, but if people do want to do Erasmus, it is normally done in 3rd or 5th year of Medicine.
Reply 324
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Charles University for medicine for 2015 entry and I was wondering what the entry requirements are and is there an interview?
Original post by G Menon
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Charles University for medicine for 2015 entry and I was wondering what the entry requirements are and is there an interview?

You just need GCSE English Language at grade B or above/something equivalent to that. Alongside that, you just have to sit the entrance exam. If you pass, you then move onto the interview stage. However, if you score very high on the entrance exam, you will get the place without needing to do an interview.
Reply 326
Original post by VoodooTik
You just need GCSE English Language at grade B or above/something equivalent to that. Alongside that, you just have to sit the entrance exam. If you pass, you then move onto the interview stage. However, if you score very high on the entrance exam, you will get the place without needing to do an interview.

So is there no minimum for a level grades?
Original post by G Menon
So is there no minimum for a level grades?

I don't think so...
Hi there,

I'm going to apply to Charles for September 2015 entry, but I have a couple of questions:

1. what's the 2 week revision course like? what materials do they give you that ensure their "100%" pass rate?
2. what's so bad about the university accommodation they offer?
3. does anyone know anything about the medical program at Masarysk Uni in Brno? How does it compare to Charles in term of workload, examinations and student life?

thanks guys, any help is appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arun13sl
Hi there,

I'm going to apply to Charles for September 2015 entry, but I have a couple of questions:

1. what's the 2 week revision course like? what materials do they give you that ensure their "100%" pass rate?
2. what's so bad about the university accommodation they offer?
3. does anyone know anything about the medical program at Masarysk Uni in Brno? How does it compare to Charles in term of workload, examinations and student life?

thanks guys, any help is appreciated!

Hello Arun,

1. The 2 week revision course is essentially a quick recap of A-Level sciences. They give a few past papers and sometimes there are some questions in the past papers that come up in the exam.

2. The accommodation is far from uni and with the amount that you are paying for, you can find better private accommodation. Plus, you can't bring any non-uni people back to uni accommodation.

3. I don't know much about Brno, but I have friends of friends that go there. They say the workload and examination is fairly equal. What makes Brno better is that Brno is completely revamped, whereas Charles is not (some of the lecture halls are starting to look rusty)... However, Prague is a bigger city and has a better nightlife than Brno.
Hello Arun,

1. The 2 week revision course is essentially a quick recap of A-Level sciences. They give a few past papers and sometimes there are some questions in the past papers that come up in the exam.

2. The accommodation is far from uni and with the amount that you are paying for, you can find better private accommodation. Plus, you can't bring any non-uni people back to uni accommodation.

3. I don't know much about Brno, but I have friends of friends that go there. They say the workload and examination is fairly equal. What makes Brno better is that Brno is completely revamped, whereas Charles is not (some of the lecture halls are starting to look rusty)... However, Prague is a bigger city and has a better nightlife than Brno.

1. okay cool. Might as well do that then! Did you find that the course was tailored for the material on which they examine you?

2. How far is "far" in walking distance? So do most (med) students actually end up getting private accommodation? Isn't it less sociable than getting uni accom?

3. cool thanks for the info.

Thanks VoodooTik. I know this is a long-shot but did you go to WHSB? I was an acquaintance of someone around 4 or 5 years ago who I was told that had gone off to study med in Prague. Forgive me for sounding stupid but the "Tik" part of your alias suggests you could be the person I'm thinking of! In the more than likely probability you're not, I'm sorry for any offense caused :wink:

Having read the thread, I see that you only did maths up to GCSE and physics up to AS. How did you learn 2 year's worth of maths and 1 additional year's worth of physics so soon before the the exam? I'm hoping that you'll say the revision course was sufficient!

I only happened to take maths up to AS and took physics up to GCSE, so I will probably try to learn some extra maths for the exam! Do you know whether they examine S1 (statistics) or M1 (mechanics) for maths?

Thanks once again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arun13sl
1. okay cool. Might as well do that then! Did you find that the course was tailored for the material on which they examine you?

2. How far is "far" in walking distance? So do most (med) students actually end up getting private accommodation? Isn't it less sociable than getting uni accom?

3. cool thanks for the info.

Thanks VoodooTik. I know this is a long-shot but did you go to WHSB? I was an acquaintance of someone around 4 or 5 years ago who I was told that had gone off to study med in Prague. Forgive me for sounding stupid but the "Tik" part of your alias suggests you could be the person I'm thinking of! In the more than likely probability you're not, I'm sorry for any offense caused :wink:

Having read the thread, I see that you only did maths up to GCSE and physics up to AS. How did you learn 2 year's worth of maths and 1 additional year's worth of physics so soon before the the exam? I'm hoping that you'll say the revision course was sufficient!

I only happened to take maths up to AS and took physics up to GCSE, so I will probably try to learn some extra maths for the exam! Do you know whether they examine S1 (statistics) or M1 (mechanics) for maths?

Thanks once again!

1. The course is pretty much tailored for the exam.

2. Most people take tram to uni. The public transport system here is very good and can take you long places within minutes. People normally live 15minutes from the uni (going via tram &/or walk). Pretty much all med students get private accommodation. Obviously, this is less social than uni accommodation, but the uni accommodation is way too far away from campus and centre. It's quite ridiculous really.

3. No worries

I don't know what you're on about......

In the entrance exam, you are given the choice of either doing Physics or Maths. You can't choose both to be examined on, but you must choose one out of these two (and obviously it's compulsory to do the Biology and Chemistry part of the paper). I chose Physics. I'd say to choose Physics as the Physics course is older than Maths (they only decided to start teaching Maths like two years ago, whereas they have been teaching Physics for a couple of years now). The course is sufficient for the exam, especially the past papers that they give you.

I don't know anything about the Maths section. If you want extra revision tools, the CGP books were good!
1. The course is pretty much tailored for the exam.

2. Most people take tram to uni. The public transport system here is very good and can take you long places within minutes. People normally live 15minutes from the uni (going via tram &/or walk). Pretty much all med students get private accommodation. Obviously, this is less social than uni accommodation, but the uni accommodation is way too far away from campus and centre. It's quite ridiculous really.

3. No worries

I don't know what you're on about......

In the entrance exam, you are given the choice of either doing Physics or Maths. You can't choose both to be examined on, but you must choose one out of these two (and obviously it's compulsory to do the Biology and Chemistry part of the paper). I chose Physics. I'd say to choose Physics as the Physics course is older than Maths (they only decided to start teaching Maths like two years ago, whereas they have been teaching Physics for a couple of years now). The course is sufficient for the exam, especially the past papers that they give you.

I don't know anything about the Maths section. If you want extra revision tools, the CGP books were good!

Thank you very much for this useful information - you pretty much answered all my questions! Thanks for being patient as well since I may have repeated questions that have already been answered on the thread! All the best with your degree :smile:
So I understand this qualification is recognised across the EU, but how do the f1 and f2 years work, can you take them in the UK? And how do you apply for uk jobs?
Original post by KingofSpades
Has anyone applied, does anyone attend and is anyone planning to apply?
Have you friends who go there? And do they say anything about the course?
As there is less of a fee discrepancy now, I am extending my scope to international faculties of medicine.

The fee discrepancy is MORE than balanced by the INCREDIBLY cheap cost of living. I should know.

I smoke. Heavily. When my cigarette consumption was even more heavy, I used to fly out to Prague with my cousin and buy as many cigarettes as we could carry, because they cost the equivalent of one quid fifty.
Original post by martan01
So I understand this qualification is recognised across the EU, but how do the f1 and f2 years work, can you take them in the UK? And how do you apply for uk jobs?

The sixth year is recognised by the UK as a f1 year, so you could technically apply to f2 straight after graduation. However, most graduates advise not to do this as there is a stark contrast in the level of work from f1 to f2, so it is best to go to f1and then f2 in order to get used to the level of work that f2 demands.

Since the degree is outside the UK. You will have to apply for a job by going to the NHS website and seeing if any vacancies for f1 are available.
Thanks for the response. Do you know of many people who have achieved this?

It's all fairly pointless if there is no job at the end of it, and the uk med schools automatically enrol their graduates onto the f1 and f2 programmes
Thanks for the response. Do you know of many people who have achieved this?

It's all fairly pointless if there is no job at the end of it, and the uk med schools automatically enrol their graduates onto the f1 and f2 programmes

Pretty much all of my graduate friends have got a job in the UK
This is all very interesting.

Do you mind me asking what stage you are at and what the demographic is generally?
This is all very interesting.

Do you mind me asking what stage you are at and what the demographic is generally?

I will be going into fifth year. There is a wide mix of nationalities in Charles. Most students that enrol are postgraduates or people that have taken gap years.

Latest

Trending

Trending