The Student Room Group

In need of A level advice!!

:smile::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by emily_9898
At the minute I'm deciding on what A level courses to take. I'm thinking of taking Biology (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English Language (WJEC), however I can't decide on a fourth option. After A level I'm considering going in to dentistry or maybe something similar/medical.
What experiences have you had taking these courses and have you taken them together?
Also, would you recommend staying at the school sixth form or going to the local college?
thanks in advance:smile::smile::smile:

Moved to the A-level section for you. :h:
I want to do optometry and am planning to do: biology, chemistry, English literature and geography :smile:
When are you starting to apply for colleges? through UCAS Progress?
If you're looking to do something medical, surprisingly physics is a good one to look at - especially if you choose to go down the straight medicine route as many places won't accept you without it!

Physics would cover things like the inner workings of MRI machines, and with some courses you actually get an entire topic dedicated to 'Medical Physics'.

Plus believe me, it's WAY more interesting than GCSE physics! :tongue:
Reply 4
At the minute I'm deciding on what A level courses to take. I'm thinking of taking Biology (OCR), Chemistry (OCR) and English Language (WJEC), however I can't decide on a fourth option. After A level I'm considering going in to dentistry or maybe something similar/medical.
What experiences have you had taking these courses and have you taken them together?
Also, would you recommend staying at the school sixth form or going to the local college?
thanks in advance:smile::smile::smile:

School sixth form, because then you don't have to meet new people/ you can just stick with your old friends and you know the teachers really well. How're for a new experience I would suggest local college.

Also maybe maths for a 4th subject? Most people take that for med/dentistry courses :smile: also how come you're only just deciding what a levels to take, it's like way into September now!
Original post by 2en1
School sixth form, because then you don't have to meet new people/ you can just stick with your old friends and you know the teachers really well. How're for a new experience I would suggest local college.

Also maybe maths for a 4th subject? Most people take that for med/dentistry courses :smile: also how come you're only just deciding what a levels to take, it's like way into September now!

Oh?! We should've thought of them earlier? I just made up my mind today!
Maths? And I'd recommend English Literature over Language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by 2en1

Yeah the school have advised that I stay at sixth form and the teachers there are really nice/helpful! And I'm deciding my options for September 2015 so I'm thinking ahead! :smile::smile:
Reply 8
Yeah the school have advised that I stay at sixth form and the teachers there are really nice/helpful! And I'm deciding my options for September 2015 so I'm thinking ahead! :smile::smile:

Aah that makes sense now :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Oh?! We should've thought of them earlier? I just made up my mind today!

Yep cuz my schools deadline for picking/changing subjects was 12th September lol
Original post by 2en1
Yep cuz my schools deadline for picking/changing subjects was 12th September lol

Oh, our school has done nothing related to college/sixth form. Instead, I am going to apply through application and when we get our UCAS Progress logins, and probably reapply to the same colleges...
How are you guys applying? UCAS?
Maths or physics is a good bet (although physics without maths is not ideal, so maths is probably a better idea)
But really, you've got three facilitating and the two main sciences, so your fourth doesn't matter all that much provided you're good at it.

Quick Reply

Latest