The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jco91
Does anyone have any examples of previous white space questions? Kind of scary that we don't really have that long to fill them in so was hoping to do a bit of preparation beforehand!

Last year there were 4 white space questions for Scotland AUoA (I've asked others who don't remember the exact questions but they were something along the lines of):

- What teaching have you been involved in?

- Demonstrate using 2 specific examples your leadership qualities

- What research have you been involved in?

- Why do you want to do the AFP in Scotland?
Original post by KF99
Last year there were 4 white space questions for Scotland AUoA (I've asked others who don't remember the exact questions but they were something along the lines of):

- What teaching have you been involved in?

- Demonstrate using 2 specific examples your leadership qualities

- What research have you been involved in?

- Why do you want to do the AFP in Scotland?

Thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by jco91
Thanks!

I hope that helps you prepare :smile: I think those four themes are pretty common for the white space questions.

I find it really annoying that there is only 1 weekend to get applications done, it would have been useful to have 2! I start a new clinical block next week and haven't even got my timetable yet, so I have no idea how busy I will be! :frown:

So, like yourself, I am trying to get prepared as much as possible!
Is there a word count for the white space questions?

Also there's like 100+ jobs for Thames AFP… we would have to rank them all before submitting the application… right?
Original post by i'm no superman

Also there's like 100+ jobs for Thames AFP… we would have to rank them all before submitting the application… right?

I believe there is a word count, not sure what it is though.

You don't have to rank any that you aren't interested in, but if you're happy to do all of them then I guess you rank them all! Luckily I'm not interested in surgery so that gets rid of quite a few for me.
Reply 25

Just to confirm whats already been said - unlike for FP in AFP you only need to rank jobs that you are interested in.

I think the word count was somewhere in the region of 200-400 last year (for Scotland anyway, but its probably similar).
Does anyone know how the extra points for merits/distinctions work for Thames AFP?
At Manchester we can get Honours or Distinctions in an exam but they don't award distinctions for the whole year and we don't have merits at all. I've emailed Thames to ask but they told me:

"we are unable to advise candidates in detail of how to complete their applications."

So... super helpful. I'm trying to find someone at my medical school who might know, but no luck so far. At the moment my plan is just to put down my honours/distinctions and explain how they are awarded and hope I get some points. I'm just worried I'm going to miss out on points because my medical school doesn't award Merits/Distinctions in the "right" way.
Original post by jco91
I believe there is a word count, not sure what it is though.

You don't have to rank any that you aren't interested in, but if you're happy to do all of them then I guess you rank them all! Luckily I'm not interested in surgery so that gets rid of quite a few for me.

Original post by KF99
Just to confirm whats already been said - unlike for FP in AFP you only need to rank jobs that you are interested in.

I think the word count was somewhere in the region of 200-400 last year (for Scotland anyway, but its probably similar).

Thank you both for clarifying that!

Original post by jco91
Does anyone know how the extra points for merits/distinctions work for Thames AFP?
At Manchester we can get Honours or Distinctions in an exam but they don't award distinctions for the whole year and we don't have merits at all. I've emailed Thames to ask but they told me:

"we are unable to advise candidates in detail of how to complete their applications."

So... super helpful. I'm trying to find someone at my medical school who might know, but no luck so far. At the moment my plan is just to put down my honours/distinctions and explain how they are awarded and hope I get some points. I'm just worried I'm going to miss out on points because my medical school doesn't award Merits/Distinctions in the "right" way.
Do you have a letter or evidence showing that you achieved a distinction/honours? I am pretty sure it would count towards your additional educational achievements score if you upload evidence for it.
Do you have a letter or evidence showing that you achieved a distinction/honours? I am pretty sure it would count towards your additional educational achievements score if you upload evidence for it.

yeah I have my transcript so I'm just going to put it down and hope for the best
Reply 29
Original post by jco91
yeah I have my transcript so I'm just going to put it down and hope for the best

If you have your transcript as evidence, I say go for it!
Worst they can do is discount it - which is better than losing out! :smile:
Reply 30
Has anyone here succeeded in an AFP at Cambridge or know of anyone who has? what kind of achievements did successful candidates have?

Also, is anyone aware of the foundation schools that require CVs on the application? I know cambridge do...

thanks
Original post by Ranjit82
Has anyone here succeeded in an AFP at Cambridge or know of anyone who has? what kind of achievements did successful candidates have?

Also, is anyone aware of the foundation schools that require CVs on the application? I know cambridge do...

thanks
I know that Thames don't require a CV for this upcoming year's application.

My job this weekend is to sort my CV out and rank my jobs for AFP. :yawn:
Reply 32
Does anyone know what components Oxford AUoA have in their application and the level/number of achievements that successful applicants have?
Original post by KF99
Does anyone know what components Oxford AUoA have in their application and the level/number of achievements that successful applicants have?

A friend of mine emailed them and they were told it is not essential to be published or have an intercalated degree, and that they will look at everything including the white-space questions before they make a decision. They said they've had successful applicants who didn't have publication or intercalated degrees.
That doesn't mean it's easy, I suspect the standards are high. They had the highest competition ratio last year and the year before, with more than 11 and 9 applicants applying per vacancy respectively, which was far higher than any other AUoA.
Reply 34
Original post by The Only Rivo
A friend of mine emailed them and they were told it is not essential to be published or have an intercalated degree, and that they will look at everything including the white-space questions before they make a decision. They said they've had successful applicants who didn't have publication or intercalated degrees.
That doesn't mean it's easy, I suspect the standards are high. They had the highest competition ratio last year and the year before, with more than 11 and 9 applicants applying per vacancy respectively, which was far higher than any other AUoA.

Thanks very much!

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford - but I don't have any publications or a top decile score, but I might just apply anyway and see what happens :s-smilie:

With ratios like 11:1 and 9:1 looks like it is extremely tough to get a place!
Reply 35
Just a question to those who have applied to Northwestern AFP in previous years. Were you able to rank different programmes (tracks) from different trusts or do we have to rank trusts first? In other words is it possible rank a certain track from Central Manchester as 1st choice then a track from Salford as 2nd then another track from Central Manchester as 3rd? or do we have to rank all the tracks from 1 trust before ranking tracks from other trusts?

The reason I'm asking is that the local matching process for normal (non-academic) FP in Northwestern consists of a 2-stage process. After allocation to NW foundation school you first rank trusts and once you're allocated to a trust you can then rank programmes only from within that trust. This is the reason why I'm not applying to NW for normal FP because I'm more interested in getting a track that includes a rotation in my specialty of interest than I am in which trust I'll based at.

So if anyone has applied to Manchester AFP before and knows how this works, I'd really appreciate it if you could shed some light on it. Thanks :smile:

I was wondering the same if anyone knows?
Original post by Ranjit82
I was wondering the same if anyone knows?

I emailed them and got a reply. So, unlike the process for regular FP, for academic FP we'll be able to rank any track from any trust in any order we like.
Reply 37
I emailed them and got a reply. So, unlike the process for regular FP, for academic FP we'll be able to rank any track from any trust in any order we like.

That's cool, thanks for the info!
Original post by jco91

I'd put them all down if I were in your position - the worst that can happen is that they take it off later.
Reply 39
Silly question - but where on FPAS are the white space questions for AUoAs? I can't seem to find them :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending