The Student Room Group

Can universities see your detentions?

Do universities have any way of seeing that I have received 5 detentions over the last 5 years? I've become really worried that if they do, they'll shortlist me and I won't be able to get into uni. My biology teacher told me they can see, and I've become increasingly paranoid over the past few days. I have decent grades (6A*s and 4As) at the moment. Replies would be greatly appreciated!!
Original post by xtremespec
Do universities have any way of seeing that I have received 5 detentions over the last 5 years? I've become really worried that if they do, they'll shortlist me and I won't be able to get into uni. My biology teacher told me they can see, and I've become increasingly paranoid over the past few days. I have decent grades (6A*s and 4As) at the moment. Replies would be greatly appreciated!!

As far as I know, nope and I doubt that they'd care anyway. It's clearly just your biology teacher spreading misinformation, but honestly, don't worry about it.
Reply 2
Original post by toronto353
As far as I know, nope and I doubt that they'd care anyway. It's clearly just your biology teacher spreading misinformation, but honestly, don't worry about it.

omg thank you soo much for the quick reply! Thanks for the reassurance
No. Although the teacher who writes your reference may mention them if they're feeling mean
As long as the detentions are far in your past then I wouldn't worry. With your grades I'd say your goods outweigh the detentions massively... Unless you did something really bad 5 times like bringing a gun into school
omg thank you soo much for the quick reply! Thanks for the reassurance

You're welcome. Having been through the UCAS process when I applied to university 5 years ago, I know how reassuring it is to get quick replies which are informative and to the point. :smile:

Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
No. Although the teacher who writes your reference may mention them if they're feeling mean

Incredibly unlikely I would only expect poor behaviour to be mentioned in the reference (if at all) when someone's behaviour has been incredibly poor. Five detentions hardly puts OP in such a bracket.
Reply 6
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Lol thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Marshall Taylor
As long as the detentions are far in your past then I wouldn't worry. With your grades I'd say your goods outweigh the detentions massively... Unless you did something really bad 5 times like bringing a gun into school

4 of them were picked up many years ago. 5th one was picked up a few days ago, but the teacher said she wouldn't log it into the computer system. Although she did say that she can't stop the invigilator from putting it in if they find out.
The only way a uni could know that sort of information is if it is mentioned in the reference, and it would be pretty unlikely that a teacher would mention anything negative in the reference since they want their students to get into uni.
4 of them were picked up many years ago. 5th one was picked up a few days ago, but the teacher said she wouldn't log it into the computer system. Although she did say that she can't stop the invigilator from putting it in if they find out.

In our school after lesson you can talk to the teacher and maybe get a settlement and I never get in trouble anyways, why did you get a detention in the first place?
The odds of a referee putting it into a reference is acutely unlikely, because will the Universities care? Incredibly unlikely. If I were a tutor and saw you had five detentions I would, i) be surprised that it was noteworthy as five is quite low and, ii) think your referee the harshest teacher going. Then I would look at your grades and completely ignore the detentions.
:lol: they won't care. They all know kids get into mischief. You won't be doing that sort of immature things in uni.
I would love it if my teacher put that I had 5 detentions in my reference. It would mean the admissions people would think my teacher was either sadistic or an idiot. Either way they'd completely disregard the reference afterwards and focus on my good PS and grades. Unfortunately this won't be the case

Quick Reply

Latest