The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jwf13
We have quite a few of the same unis! I'm applying to Durham, Cambridge, Royal Holloway and Sheffield :smile:

Well good luck with York and Leicester! You've got the predicted grades for both courses so I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:

Maybe I am not to sure how likely I am going to get an offer from York being just outside the top 10 I am not sure how against retakes they are. As for geography I am now predicted an A woop. Didn't take a lot of work surprisingly since both my teachers are head and deputy head of the sixth form so advice on TSR would be for people who could not get it changed to see the head of sixth form haha. As for Leicester I do think I will get an offer as for York I am unsure yet. :smile:

Well good luck to you for Cambridge and Durham I am guessing your favorite choices. I live in Cambridgeshire so can give you advice for the city if you need it :smile: As for Sheffield I though of applying but they don't like retakes and I hated the open day. :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by Eboracum
Well that makes things more interesting, as I study BA Politics. My friend is at Exeter and she likes it a lot. For me, there is not enough going on in Devon/Cornwall, hence i came here. I would say York/Exeter are better than Surrey and much better than Kent.

That's great! What's your favourite thing about the course? All the modules at York look really interesting, I just know I'll find it hard to choose which ones to focus on.

Everyone at my school seems to be getting offers from Exeter apart from me (even after having sent my application in early) so I'm starting to have my doubts. But to be honest I could have gone to the applicant visit day and hated it. I know I love York after having been to the open day.
Original post by YanaIguana
That's great! What's your favourite thing about the course? All the modules at York look really interesting, I just know I'll find it hard to choose which ones to focus on.

Everyone at my school seems to be getting offers from Exeter apart from me (even after having sent my application in early) so I'm starting to have my doubts. But to be honest I could have gone to the applicant visit day and hated it. I know I love York after having been to the open day.

My experience has been different as I opted for Study Abroad in second year (awesome thing to do). So I missed the second year courses at York. But now back in Third Year, the course choices are excellent and the modules really stimulating.

In first year you learn four introductory courses, all very interesting. Introduction to Political Theory is a fantastic course, you'll learn about many of the great thinkers: Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli etc and quite often the course is run by the Head of Dpt. and/or the Chair of the Board of Studies, top blokes. In first year you'll find your specific interests which will help you decide what 2nd/3rd year courses to take.

If you want to know anything about the course/modules just ask.

Exeter is pretty much the same standard as York. I'd argue we are better, as our highest position was better than theirs, but currently they are slightly higher in the league tables than us. Either way, you'd probably get offers from both. What are your A Level grades?

x

This has nothing to do with anything you've written, but I've just noticed your username is York in Latin. +1
My experience has been different as I opted for Study Abroad in second year (awesome thing to do). So I missed the second year courses at York. But now back in Third Year, the course choices are excellent and the modules really stimulating.

In first year you learn four introductory courses, all very interesting. Introduction to Political Theory is a fantastic course, you'll learn about many of the great thinkers: Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli etc and quite often the course is run by the Head of Dpt. and/or the Chair of the Board of Studies, top blokes. In first year you'll find your specific interests which will help you decide what 2nd/3rd year courses to take.

If you want to know anything about the course/modules just ask.

Exeter is pretty much the same standard as York. I'd argue we are better, as our highest position was better than theirs, but currently they are slightly higher in the league tables than us. Either way, you'd probably get offers from both. What are your A Level grades?

I'm definitely looking forward to study that course. I'm thinking of taking a year abroad (I've applied at Exeter, Surrey and Kent for this) but I wish it was spread over four years in York. I would like to travel to Asia if I were to go though.

I got ABBC at AS (with also an A in Gen Studies) and I've been predicted AAB. The typical offer at Exeter is slightly higher than York though (AAA-AAB). I'm aiming for AAA though :biggrin: I shouldn't worry if I do get a rejection from Exeter because York is such a great university.
Original post by __Adam__
This has nothing to do with anything you've written, but I've just noticed your username is York in Latin. +1

Thanks Adam. Hows first year going? Hope you're in the right college!

I'm definitely looking forward to study that course. I'm thinking of taking a year abroad (I've applied at Exeter, Surrey and Kent for this) but I wish it was spread over four years in York. I would like to travel to Asia if I were to go though.

I got ABBC at AS (with also an A in Gen Studies) and I've been predicted AAB. The typical offer at Exeter is slightly higher than York though (AAA-AAB). I'm aiming for AAA though :biggrin: I shouldn't worry if I do get a rejection from Exeter because York is such a great university.

Yes, at York it is three years, and the year replaces your second year of studies. There are lots of unis to choose from all over the world. I went to Aussie. My friend went to Hong Kong but didn't like it and came home.

If you're predicted AAA you'll get an offer from Exeter. They are #10 and we are #14 in the UK rankings I use. But they are #161 and we are #120 in the world rankings I use. Chalk and Cheese. Best of luck with what you decide.

I was chosen by Halifax :colondollar:

Going good so far thanks, nice campus, and (Joking aside) Halifax is a great college.

I guess I can try to answer Q's about the first month of Maths and Physics, or stuff about applying for those subjects

Yes, at York it is three years, and the year replaces your second year of studies. There are lots of unis to choose from all over the world. I went to Aussie. My friend went to Hong Kong but didn't like it and came home.

If you're predicted AAA you'll get an offer from Exeter. They are #10 and we are #14 in the UK rankings I use. But they are #161 and we are #120 in the world rankings I use. Chalk and Cheese. Best of luck with what you decide.

I think the rankings are just there to confuse people at times haha! Thank you for all your help :smile: It's all been very useful.
Original post by __Adam__
I was chosen by Halifax :colondollar:

Going good so far thanks, nice campus, and (Joking aside) Halifax is a great college.

I guess I can try to answer Q's about the first month of Maths and Physics, or stuff about applying for those subjects

I'm a Third year, Department of Politics. I was in James. I selected them. I went to a house party in Halifax once, in first year. Brings back memories. :colondollar:

I think the rankings are just there to confuse people at times haha! Thank you for all your help :smile: It's all been very useful.

Best of luck Iguana. :smile:

Yes. What you have to think is students will quote the league table that favours their university most. So you'll end up with 20 people at different uni's saying 'I go to a top 10 uni'. It's all just banal. Anything Russell Group is fantastic in my view.
I'm a current third year at York. Any questions give me a shout.

What is your opinion on the accommodation on the main campus? I liked Alcuin but I am not the one to go to parties all the time and I heard this is what it is like. I did not like Vanbrugh but I did think James college was OK.

I didn't see the other accommodations though so what is your opinion on prices and type.

I think if I would rate myself

I would like a party but would also like to be able to sleep if I need to study the next day.

I don't mind whether I get an un-suite or not but preferably accommodation with less the 9 people which is what I believe James's accommodation was.

Also is catered accommodation good or not.:smile:

I know it is a bit early but I would still like to know.

Also if you could tell me anything about the geography department as I will be doing the new human geography the environment degree.:biggrin:
Has anyone else applied for 'Accounting, Business Finance & Management'????? And any offers? :biggrin:
Anyone got an interview/visit day for York on the 30th (for Chem)???
Reply 212
Original post by chem@uni
Anyone got an interview/visit day for York on the 30th (for Chem)???

I got one for the 27th November or 2nd December!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Interview invite for chem 2 hours after I applied wo0o0o0o0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
I got one for the 27th November or 2nd December!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah think everyone got to choose from 2 different days, anyone on the 30th October?
Reply 215
Yeah think everyone got to choose from 2 different days, anyone on the 30th October?

Oh cool! Mine seem different to everyone elses...

Also is it my understanding that if you attend you get an offer?

I've already got the grades so there's not anything else I can do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
Oh cool! Mine seem different to everyone elses...

Also is it my understanding that if you attend you get an offer?

I've already got the grades so there's not anything else I can do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is what the email suggested happened
Reply 217
Yeah that is what the email suggested happened

Oh awesome, well done to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
Oh awesome, well done to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you!!!
What was everyones opinion on the accommodation at York I know it is a bit early to ask since people may not yet have offers (Myself included) but it has been an issue since I have thought of applying. I only liked Alcuin on the open day out of the 2 others I saw, James and Vanbrugh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending