The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You guys need to stop moaning bout the economy and just get your fingers out your ass and start somewhere. Anywhere basic and work your way up in life through hard work. to say lifes difficult now for grads is a load of bs, the issue nowadays is that young adults have everythng laid onto a plate for them up until uni, and after that they open their eyes and see that the world isn't as easy as how it was when they were growing up.

if you cant even get a job youve got no one to blame but yourself. if you had the opportunity to go to uni you definitely have the opportunity to work. stop blaming things around you for your own failure.

brb UCL econ graduate
brb recruited into RBS in final year uni
brb on the path to becoming an investment banker in london
brb awaiting exponential rise in salary

TLDR; problem nowadays is everyone wants to mint money but not work hard for it. just cos they went to uni they expect the rest of their life to be handed on a plate for them smfh
Reply 7281
Hope I got some Indian uncle in the city somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parano!d
You guys need to stop moaning bout the economy and just get your fingers out your ass and start somewhere. Anywhere basic and work your way up in life through hard work. to say lifes difficult now for grads is a load of bs, the issue nowadays is that young adults have everythng laid onto a plate for them up until uni, and after that they open their eyes and see that the world isn't as easy as how it was when they were growing up.

if you cant even get a job youve got no one to blame but yourself. if you had the opportunity to go to uni you definitely have the opportunity to work. stop blaming things around you for your own failure.

brb UCL econ graduate

TLDR; problem nowadays is everyone wants to mint money but not work hard for it. just cos they went to uni they expect the rest of their life to be handed on a plate for them smfh

Sorry but a load of codswallop. The reality is its who you know and what you know.

Got a really **** guy on my course who got his placement at Goldmann despite being terrible all round.

Brb dad is partner
Brb used contacts
Brb secured son £37k placement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LosingDogs
Sorry but a load of codswallop. The reality is its who you know and what you know.

Got a really **** guy on my course who got his placement at Goldmann despite being terrible all round.

Brb dad is partner
Brb used contacts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was just about to post this. Many people (not just a select few) are handed jobs on a silver platter. Had a distinctly average grad from my course and he is now working on a top barrister's chambers in London. His uncle was the master of the rolls. Another guy's father was high up in the automotive industry, got a top role at Allen & Overy via contacts. Again, distinctly average.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Was just about to post this. Many people (not just a select few) are handed jobs on a silver platter. Had a distinctly average grad from my course and he is now working on a top barrister's chambers in London. His uncle was the master of the rolls. Another guy's father was high up in the automotive industry, got a top role at Allen & Overy via contacts. Again, distinctly average.

Always happens mate. I'm not saying it's wrong or right (if I was them would exploit the same loophole) but it's frankly laughable for people to claim a level playing field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

brb UCL econ graduate

Interesting.

I agree with you. I am sorting my life out tbh. May not be going into the most professional of jobs but it's a good pay. Work hard play hard environment.

40k in a year if I work hard enough here and goes up even more, stressful lifestyle though. :smile: There's another job that is entry level pay but potentially goes up to 40k in under a year which is very good.
Original post by LosingDogs

Brb dad is partner
Brb used contacts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree more - the hard truth is that no matter how good you are, an employer is going to pick the guy he knows over you.
But it happens everywhere; I'm sure me or you would do exactly the same thing.

I ain't bothered about it when it's just a part time job in retail for instance, but a grad scheme can be the beginning of a career that totally shapes somebody's life.
I'm not at all saying you have to know somebody to get a job but depressingly most of the time, it's better to have contacts than knowledge...
Will employers respect me more if I am 100% honest in my application? I want to complete that one application where I don't give a **** and tell it as it is.

Why us?
Money mother****er.
Brb person who has opportunity handed to them is bitching about others who don't

Strong irony/10
Bait taken/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wrt the contacts thing, you guys get yourself down to London for networking events and you suck dick, hairy fat white middle class D I C K.

I've seen people do it in front of my own eyes. It's events like that which can make your life dreams come true.
Original post by Shady's back
Wrt the contacts thing, you guys get yourself down to London for networking events and you suck dick, hairy fat white middle class D I C K.

I've seen people do it in front of my own eyes. It's events like that which can make your life dreams come true.

That ain't in me
Investment banking is boring anyway, I honestly don't want that life. 17 hour days? No thanks.

I'm going to be rich, but not at the expense of not playing 5 a side each week, or raising my children. You'll say 'do it for 2-3 years then get out of there' but life aint like that lol, burned bridges in those 2-3 years can't be recovered so easily.

Big tings in the accountancy firms and consulting is what you want to be doing
Original post by Kenan and Kel
That ain't in me

Minor man, put it in yourself. Get a tailored suit made, impressive shiny shoes, make sure the facial hair is on point and that the scalp hair looks slick.

Then you come across confident, funny and curious. Serenade the *****, flatter him. Make sure he knows that you think sunshine comes out of his arse, and that you're determined to make it come out of your own. A successful return for one Deloitte evening or one law firm event or any networking **** is just one business card from someone who is senior to you. When you accept the card, you bang out your £5k Italian leather wallet to put it in, impress dick-suckee, you know.

You got a business card, ring him in a week or two, set up suttin for the holidays, done. You got a link, you got a way in.
Makes me feel better that in a firm I applied to and go rejected from , it's intake this year are all vast vast majority ugly. No amount of good career will solve that. As are most firms. I notice some good firms do choose better looking people though.
Original post by AR_95
Brb person who has opportunity handed to them is bitching about others who don't

Strong irony/10
Bait taken/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guy probably worked hard for it tbf. Allow being investment banker anyway. As long as I'm on a 100k job in a few years I'll be fine.
Investment banking is boring anyway, I honestly don't want that life. 17 hour days? No thanks.

I'm going to be rich, but not at the expense of not playing 5 a side each week, or raising my children. You'll say 'do it for 2-3 years then get out of there' but life aint like that lol, burned bridges in those 2-3 years can't be recovered so easily.

Big tings in the accountancy firms and consulting is what you want to be doing

Yeah allow IB. That's not my life either.

Yeah I'm planning on consulting. Decent day shifts, general 9-5s with nice money. Also can accelerate your career to another position. Management, being a director etc.

It's all about the MULA for me right now.
Original post by jam277
Guy probably worked hard for it tbf. Allow being investment banker anyway. As long as I'm on a 100k job in a few years I'll be fine.

Lol good luck on that in this economy. Think you'd have a better chance of that abroad tbh. This country is **** for graduates.
Original post by jam277

are you ****ting me fam. this was what i was saying before, the expectations of grads are way too high nowadays. everyone wants to mint it but the reality is you need to start right at the bottom first.

lol dont be such a beta in life. i went to networking events and not once did i suck up. didnt have anything handed to me on a plate either. just raw skill and hard work.

but yeh you need some connections, but that is something u can control too. all it takes is knowing the right guy, and he puts in a good word to someone else, and then it spreads. then you have a couple of companies whove heard your name and will recognise it when they read your job application.
Am I right in thinking you guys are going for grad accounting/finance related jobs with irrelevant degrees (which employers like btw)? If so what a load of ****. There's people like me doing an accounting degree at Russell group, working my ass off doing professional exams and then some Johnny come lately ****ing history graduate takes my job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you ****ting me fam. this was what i was saying before, the expectations of grads are way too high nowadays. everyone wants to mint it but the reality is you need to start right at the bottom first.

It involves a commission job, and I'm in the interview stages(in fact got one on monday) which has prospects of 100k in 3 or 4 years when you include the commission. It's not as ridiculous as you think. Involves **** loads of hard work and stressful days.

So I'm not just expecting too high. If I'm able to survive in the job I should be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest