The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Seriously stressed now, 11 hours of planning due in, marking due next week, asignment due in at uni. Shoot me now
Original post by Ratchit99
Anyone else struggling to get going this halfterm..im loving the break a bit too much today, i managed to do my marking this afternoon but this morning was a write off of a lie in and then some good quality day time tv :wink:

You should spend only one or two days working during half term! Make the most of your time off, term time is hectic enough.
Ive got a lesson to plan and some other assignment work to do so i guess Ill have to see how long it all takes me. I just feel guilty to just be sitting around! Lol
I'm currently off on a prep week, due to go out on Teaching Practice from next week until the middle of January. Already, I'm feeling so demotivated. I'm having hassle with my school also with not being given a timetable, any indication of the classes that I'll be teaching and one of my topics that I've been given for the 10 weeks is something that is usually taught in 2-3 lesson at KS3. Added to it is the fact I've no scheme of work from the school to even look at the main stuff I should be hitting.
I really hope it changes when I start school experience. I've worked my ass off to get onto the course but right at this minute, I could not give a damn about planning lessons etc.
Reply 4104
Original post by Ratchit99
Anyone else struggling to get going this halfterm..im loving the break a bit too much today, i managed to do my marking this afternoon but this morning was a write off of a lie in and then some good quality day time tv :wink:

Have found it hard to get going but hopefully I'll finish this one piece of work off tonight before planning my lesson tomorrow. Saturday and Sunday are going to be much more laid back days before returning to school on Monday.

Original post by Shelly_x
You should spend only one or two days working during half term! Make the most of your time off, term time is hectic enough.

Easier said than done really. I really should have just stayed focused for 2 days and got it all done rather than doing it bit by bit so far. Today however I should finish off what I need doing and have a nice relaxing night and the same tomorrow giving myself the weekend free. It's my own fault but you live and learn.
Agreed, i worked from 9 till 2 yesterday to finish my plan for mondays lesson, organise my evidence for my star doc and create a presentation on url and dns for uni next friday.
This morning i started at half 8 and lost track of time until 1 this afternoon but managed to create a scheme of work for my year 7 class for the rest of term (incredibly chuffed) find some articles for my first uni assignment thats not due till after xmas, and print off what i need to do for my pshe certification to go through with my mentor, rewarded myself with takeout and now spending the afternoon watching chick flicks! Am loving half term now just for the amount of stuff ive managed to get done :smile:
I've had 2 days of PE courses this half term so am happy to actually be able to get on with some work now. Currently sorting resources which is taking forever! I'm finding that planning itself isn't so time consuming - it's everything that comes with it (finding/creating resources for 5 separate ability groups...)!
Reply 4107
Going to finish off my paperwork now which will just leave me with the lesson plan to do tomorrow. I can do this! :biggrin:
First day of placement on Monday! Does anyone have any tips? I've got a y2 class that I haven't met yet.
Reply 4109
Original post by alabelle
First day of placement on Monday! Does anyone have any tips? I've got a y2 class that I haven't met yet.

1. Accept that you will make mistakes as you are only human.

2. When those mistakes are picked upon and you receive criticism remember its not to hurt your feelings but to help you become better.

3. Look at other teachers and take bits of what you think might work but accept in the end you will be you as a teacher and your own style will develop.

4. In your spare time spend as much time using the school system as possible. Put together tracking sheets on the children (SEN, FSM, AF, Gifted, EAL), get your class photos printed off and put names to faces and get seating plans if there are any.

5. If you have time ask if you can spend time observing one of the pupils in your class who are EAL/SEN over an entire day across many subjects as you will then see how different teachers differentiate for these pupils to meet their needs.

6. Keep everything as organised as possible because if you don't this will come back to bite you later on when you have other things to be doing.

7. Open up slightly to your pupils but ensure that you remain professional. 'Do you like football? Yes. Who do you support? I don't support a particular team. Anyway, enough of football, how are you getting on with.........?'. Show them that you're human and enjoy the things they do but do not give them information they can use to dig deeper into you.

8. Ask about marking schemes and homework. How are these done in your specific school?

9. Go and meet staff in other areas of the school. You might not think much of it but the staff in other areas of the school are there for you around the clock - IT Support, Reception, Student Support, etc.

10. Ask about meetings and after school clubs. After school clubs are a great way to humanise yourself further with pupils in a professional environment and the majority of them will appreciate it.
Original post by Mr CS
1. Accept that you will make mistakes as you are only human.

2. When those mistakes are picked upon and you receive criticism remember its not to hurt your feelings but to help you become better.

3. Look at other teachers and take bits of what you think might work but accept in the end you will be you as a teacher and your own style will develop.

4. In your spare time spend as much time using the school system as possible. Put together tracking sheets on the children (SEN, FSM, AF, Gifted, EAL), get your class photos printed off and put names to faces and get seating plans if there are any.

5. If you have time ask if you can spend time observing one of the pupils in your class who are EAL/SEN over an entire day across many subjects as you will then see how different teachers differentiate for these pupils to meet their needs.

6. Keep everything as organised as possible because if you don't this will come back to bite you later on when you have other things to be doing.

7. Open up slightly to your pupils but ensure that you remain professional. 'Do you like football? Yes. Who do you support? I don't support a particular team. Anyway, enough of football, how are you getting on with.........?'. Show them that you're human and enjoy the things they do but do not give them information they can use to dig deeper into you.

8. Ask about marking schemes and homework. How are these done in your specific school?

9. Go and meet staff in other areas of the school. You might not think much of it but the staff in other areas of the school are there for you around the clock - IT Support, Reception, Student Support, etc.

10. Ask about meetings and after school clubs. After school clubs are a great way to humanise yourself further with pupils in a professional environment and the majority of them will appreciate it.

Thank you! Those are really helpful.
I feel this half term has been quite harmful to me... I just have zero motivation to go back to my placement and it's just rubbed in (even more) that I hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I feel this half term has been quite harmful to me... I just have zero motivation to go back to my placement and it's just rubbed in (even more) that I hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grind it out. It'll be over soon. I didn't particularly enjoy my first one - 40+ minute commute and not having the most supportive of mentors didn't help - but I knew I'd be out at Xmas. And I was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4113
And that is it. We have entered the last day of half term.
Original post by Mr CS

Gotta make the most of it! :biggrin:
Oh god, how depressing is that! Its flown by, now the 7 week slog to the end of this placement. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying this, but on the last day of the placement all I can think about is how it'd be nice to have another week off :wink:
Original post by Mr CS

What half term? :frown: some of us were in uni this week! :tongue:
Looking forward to going back. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love another week off with my family, but still happy that I've got all I've needed to do this half term done.
Just took my youngest daughter to a birthday party and sat on my own reading articles for my assignment while enviously watching the other mums chat! But needs must.
It's a teacher training day tomorrow, so not back teaching until Tuesday. I'm being observed on Wednesday for a literacy lesson which I'm slightly nervous about but I feel I have prepared as much as I can for. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4118
Original post by alabelle
What half term? :frown: some of us were in uni this week! :tongue:

Some of us were working from home :tongue:
Original post by Airfairy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am the same - my school is lovely and the support is great, but I have no desire to go back to the IOW, away from my friends, family and partner. I have to spend tonight travelling and Friday night travelling back here again, then the daily commute is 45 mins each way too. I have no motivation to start that process again.

The children in my class are keeping me going at the moment, they deserve great opportunities with someone who really cares, and I feel like I can help towards that.

As people have said though, seven weeks and it's done. Just keep going,I am xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending