The Student Room Group

Virgin Rocket Ship Crash

Scroll to see replies

There are over 7 billion people in the world, and being one of them to have the opportunity to go into space, I'd definitely do it. There are always the risks, but at the end, you'd make history.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
There are over 7 billion people in the world, and being one of them to have the opportunity to go into space, I'd definitely do it. There are always the risks, but at the end, you'd make history.

In the event of tourism, probably only as a terrorist :tongue:
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29861259

I don't feel like the Virgin Galatic exploding is a particularly good sign for space tourism. Personally I wouldn't even want to go into space (mainly because I suffer from hideous travel sickness and watched Gravity the other day).

How does everyone else feel about space tourism? Would you want to go into space?

I would but not in the beginning. Why? Because only after lots of trials have been done, the likelihood of a crash will decrease. It is like places. In the beginning it had "lots" of crashes and lots of people died in the "trials", so now I can get in a place knowing that the likelihood of a crash is relatively low. I would definitely not have boarded a plane in the beginning for that reason. It's like a pharmaceutical drug. It needs to be tested lots of times. I am no guinea pig. Let the trials begin. :colone:
Original post by Andy98
Still an experience.

An experience that will cost you your life. And a horrible death. But oh well, someone has to be the first. :colone:
Original post by Juichiro
An experience that will cost you your life. And a horrible death. But oh well, someone has to be the first. :colone:

stepping out the front door is an experience that could cost you your life, as is breathing. Doesn't stop you.
Original post by Maid Marian
I want to keep my tootsies firmly planted on earth :sadnod: I'm very against space travel.

I, Lord Marian will stay on Earth with Maid Marian. :colondollar: Everybody will go and the Earth will be repopulated with the Marian lineage. AdamEve-style. :cool:

Bye humans. Long life to the Mar(t)ians!
I, Lord Marian will stay on Earth with Maid Marian. :colondollar: Everybody will go and the Earth will be repopulated with the Marian lineage. AdamEve-style. :cool:

Bye humans. Long life to the Mar(t)ians!

Oh, um, t-t-that's rather bold of you, sir!
Original post by Jammy Duel
stepping out the front door is an experience that could cost you your life, as is breathing. Doesn't stop you.

Could is the keyword. The probability of me dying by stepping out of the front door in a non-poor area of a developed nation is far lower than the probability of you dying in a travel to the space in a mass-transport spacecraft that has not been tested enough.
Oh, um, t-t-that's rather bold of you, sir!

Is it? :eek:

I am but a humble lord striving to keep its lineage from vanishing, milady. :colondollar:
Is it? :eek:

I am but a humble lord striving to keep its lineage from vanishing, milady. :colondollar:

But .. I don't even know you and you're asking me to breed with you! :eek:
Reply 90

It's OK Maz:hugs: I'll protect you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could is the keyword. The probability of me dying by stepping out of the front door in a non-poor area of a developed nation is far lower than the probability of you dying in a travel to the space in a mass-transport spacecraft that has not been tested enough.

When is something tested enough? There is no such thing as "tested too much" from a safety standpoint, ergo nothing has ever been tested enough.

What is it that you need to know? You know my family name. The same as yours. With all the noble values associated with our family name. You know that as a lord carrying my, your, our family name, I desire nothing but keeping our family name alive. It's not about me, milady. After all, before long I'll be dead, and you and all of your children, all of us dead, all of us rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. That's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor... but family. That is why I ask you to stand proudly for your family name and what it represents. We shall keep alive the values of our noble family name. :cool:
What is it that you need to know? You know my family name. The same as yours. With all the noble values associated with our family name. You know that as a lord carrying my, your, our family name, I desire nothing but keeping our family name alive. It's not about me, milady. After all, before long I'll be dead, and you and all of your children, all of us dead, all of us rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. That's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor... but family. That is why I ask you to stand proudly for your family name and what it represents. We shall keep alive the values of our noble family name. :cool:

Can I have Plantagenet Crown instead? :redface:
Original post by Jammy Duel
When is something tested enough? There is no such thing as "tested too much" from a safety standpoint, ergo nothing has ever been tested enough.

By tested enough, I mean that the likelihood of an air plane crash fall to 10% or below. Especially in space. If you crash in the ocean, you have some tiny chance of getting rescued. If you crash in space, you won't make it.
By tested enough, I mean that the likelihood of an air plane crash fall to 10% or below. Especially in space. If you crash in the ocean, you have some tiny chance of getting rescued. If you crash in space, you won't make it.

The current safety record based on the tests is well over 90%, the overall safety record of modern rocket launches is in excess of 95%
Can I have Plantagenet Crown instead? :redface:

You shall have whatever you wish, milady. Because as Lady Marian, Queen of Earth, everything and everyone in this planet will be yours to do as you wish.

Long life to Lady Marian! :biggrin:
Original post by juichiro
x

maid marian
x

get a room!
Apparently that whole project is mainly funded by the local government....

I'm in two minds... I think it's an interesting idea and it's great that he is trying to develop new technology.

However why do we need it? Sure, you can go into space but what is in space that we need? It's not like developing a new aircraft that can get you from London to New York in 15 mins (useful for commuters and business people). So Branson gets his rocket working and sends people into space for a nice view. What next? Unless you can use the tech in something useful, there isn't much point.

We can't go and live on the other planets, and his idea to build hotels in space is pretty pointless too. It's only really useful if we could get outside of our solar system and search for what exists that we don't know about, that could be useful (a planet like earth for example). Otherwise it's just a fairground attraction for rich celebs.
Does anyone else think it sounds a little boring? You get in the rocket, probably get a few hours of 'omg this is brilliant' look at all the stars and then spend a few years with similiar scenery because of how big it is? Then you get to Mars and what its just a giant rock? And then you die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending