The Student Room Group

Best and worst subjects at school?

Personally I hated PE, especially in secondary school where we had to do outdoor sports in freezing cold winter weather.

My favourite one would probably be geography. I found the topics interesting and it had some good school trips.

What were your best and worst subjects at school, and why? Which ones did you like the most and which ones did you hate?

Scroll to see replies

I really don't like PE for a lot of the same reasons as you. Also, there are annoyingly competitive people who get annoyed at you if you did something even slightly wrong, even if you're trying your best.

My favourite subject is history because it teaches you why society is like it is. It is just an incredibly useful subject because it teaches people that they need to learn from the past, so humanity doesn't make the same mistakes again.
Reply 2
Academically, my best subject was English and my worst was home economics. I can't cook or sew (sewing especially) to save my life lol.

In terms of what I enjoyed most and least - I enjoyed music and science mostly as they are my 2 passions and I was quite quiet in class and no confidence but I did when I sang and I love all aspects of science and went onto study biology at uni. I hated P.E most of the time but luckily didn't have to do it for most of 4th year as I had glandular fever and was left drained for months after it. I also hated tech - both the practical and graphic drawing classes. I am no good with my hands and I am ditzy so I was a disaster in those classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by horsewithnoname
I really don't like PE for a lot of the same reasons as you. Also, there are annoyingly competitive people who get annoyed at you if you did something even slightly wrong, even if you're trying your best.

My favourite subject is history because it teaches you why society is like it is. It is just an incredibly useful subject because it teaches people that they need to learn from the past, so humanity doesn't make the same mistakes again.

History is another one I liked. I didn't like it at first (around year 7) because of the teacher but after that it got interesting, especially learning about the first world war. I dropped history at GCSE because I wanted to do a diploma (I picked it as a back up option but I got accepted on to the diploma).

I realised the teacher I didn't like in year 7 is actually quite a good teacher. She's liked by a lot of the older students (GCSE and A level) but not as much with the younger year 7s, which is weird.
Best [as in favourite]
-Textiles
-English Lit.
-Art

Worst [as in least favourite]
-Science
-Maths
-Geography [which I dropped at GCSE]
Best (currently):history and science - both my passions.
Worst: A lot.
Original post by inachigeek21
Best (currently):history and science - both my passions.
Worst: A lot.

Exactly the same!
Best:
Geography, Biology and Drama

Worst:
Maths, Physics and the worst of all... FRENCH.

French teachers are horrid and the subject is boring as hell :closedeyes:
Original post by RFowler
History is another one I liked. I didn't like it at first (around year 7) because of the teacher but after that it got interesting, especially learning about the first world war. I dropped history at GCSE because I wanted to do a diploma (I picked it as a back up option but I got accepted on to the diploma).

I realised the teacher I didn't like in year 7 is actually quite a good teacher. She's liked by a lot of the older students (GCSE and A level) but not as much with the younger year 7s, which is weird.

Same! I didn't like my year 7 history teacher. I've had her since and all my history teachers since have been amazing.
Original post by Spock's Socks

I hated P.E most of the time but luckily didn't have to do it for most of 4th year as I had glandular fever and was left drained for months after it.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What made you hate PE? Outside in cold weather? Don't like competitive sports? Just not good at it?

Original post by horsewithnoname
Same! I didn't like my year 7 history teacher. I've had her since and all my history teachers since have been amazing.

It could have been the way she taught lessons. The way she talked made her sound like the stereotypical bossy/strict teacher that all school kids hate. The older students obviously never had that problem.
Reply 10
id say that my fav subject has got to be psychology but then that's got to do with wanting to be a psychologist when im older lool

and my worst subject definitely got to be chemistry, its so bad it makes me sick... I don't know what the bloody hell im doing when it comes to chemistry
Original post by RFowler
What made you hate PE? Outside in cold weather? Don't like competitive sports? Just not good at it?

It could have been the way she taught lessons. The way she talked made her sound like the stereotypical bossy/strict teacher that all school kids hate. The older students obviously never had that problem.

A mix of the cold weather, not being good at sports in general and just being lazy tbh :tongue:
best - electronics
worst - ict

i liked pe :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Best: Latin or Maths
Worst: ART

Those were the days :moon:
Best: Maths probably.. that's also because the teacher is good at teaching.
Worst: PE:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
best - electronics
worst - ict

i liked pe :colone:

Interesting you say you liked PE, when a lot of people on this thread say they hated it. What did you like about it? Were you part of the sporty master race who were good at most of the sports in PE?
Best: history
Worst: physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
My favourites are business English and German (although German is far from my best)

Most hated are geography and the sciences. All of them. I can't do science...
Best (or least worse IMO) : Spanish and PE
Worst: English, Maths and Computer Science (Got a D on my assessment cause I got the syntax wrong :unimpressed:)
Reply 19
Best (favourites) were Maths, RS and History.

Worst (least favourites) were English, Science and Geography.

Latest