The Student Room Group

Should I do French A Level?

I'm currently in Year 11 and I've got to the point where I need to decide my A Level options. Currently I'm most likely going to do french - I do AQA French GCSE and I've currently done 1 speaking and 1 writing and so far I'm on an A*.

I feel nervous saying this on a forum but I've got a slight stammer even though I achieved 28/30 (A*) in my speaking assessment!!! But still I'm afraid that A Levels include a lot of speaking. My pronunciation is very good no doubt however just I'm scared my stammer will have an influential effect. I am interested in french and I actually enjoy it so it seems a no brainer!!! My others look like biology history and maths.

So finally to any college or sixth form students doing french out there - will my stammer effect my grade? And will it overall give me a disadvantage. Remember my pronunciation is good and I enjoy french. Shall I choose it? And BTW I'm looking at going to London Academy of Excellence.

Don't be afraid to be honest - thanks!!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by irfan_blue
I'm currently in Year 11 and I've got to the point where I need to decide my A Level options. Currently I'm most likely going to do french - I do AQA French GCSE and I've currently done 1 speaking and 1 writing and so far I'm on an A*.

I feel nervous saying this on a forum but I've got a slight stammer even though I achieved 28/30 (A*) in my speaking assessment!!! But still I'm afraid that A Levels include a lot of speaking. My pronunciation is very good no doubt however just I'm scared my stammer will have an influential effect. I am interested in french and I actually enjoy it so it seems a no brainer!!! My others look like biology history and maths.

So finally to any college or sixth form students doing french out there - will my stammer effect my grade? And will it overall give me a disadvantage. Remember my pronunciation is good and I enjoy french. Shall I choose it? And BTW I'm looking at going to London Academy of Excellence.

Don't be afraid to be honest - thanks!!! :smile:

I think the best thing to do is look at the specification your school offers and decide whether it looks like it would be something for you
Reply 2
What do you mean by something for me? And thank you for replying!
Go for it! If it does have an effect, talk to your teachers, but I would think you'll be fine. If you did that well in GCSE speaking, you ought to be fine at A-Level.
Reply 4
I think how you do in a language alevel depends a lot on the teacher. Last year I had one of the best- if not the best- language teacher ever. I did as-level last year and I got an A however things aren't looking too good now as my teacher this year isn't as great. We do OCR here at LAE, and let me just tell you it is hard!
Also, have you considered other sixth forms? LAE isn't in the most stable shape right now and it's future looks bleak, soooo many teachers have come and gone in the last 2 years it's been open, including the headteacher and the deputy headteacher.
Reply 5
Original post by Paralove
Go for it! If it does have an effect, talk to your teachers, but I would think you'll be fine. If you did that well in GCSE speaking, you ought to be fine at A-Level.

Thanks but I'm just afraid the level of interaction will definitely be high and it'll have an effect! I'll see next few weeks I've got another french speaking assessment coming up.

Anyways thanks for your time mate :wink:
Thanks but I'm just afraid the level of interaction will definitely be high and it'll have an effect! I'll see next few weeks I've got another french speaking assessment coming up.

Anyways thanks for your time mate :wink:

It's a language, you're always communicating. I'm currently doing French and Spanish at uni, and at A-Level you do have to speak a lot - in your speaking exam, you have to talk for around 15 mins, and you can't learn things either like at GCSE; it has to be fluent and reciting paragraphs doesn't get you good marks.
Reply 7
Original post by Paralove
It's a language, you're always communicating. I'm currently doing French and Spanish at uni, and at A-Level you do have to speak a lot - in your speaking exam, you have to talk for around 15 mins, and you can't learn things either like at GCSE; it has to be fluent and reciting paragraphs doesn't get you good marks.

Is it like every class you are required to speak a lot?
Reply 8
Original post by Noura*
I think how you do in a language alevel depends a lot on the teacher. Last year I had one of the best- if not the best- language teacher ever. I did as-level last year and I got an A however things aren't looking too good now as my teacher this year isn't as great. We do OCR here at LAE, and let me just tell you it is hard!
Also, have you considered other sixth forms? LAE isn't in the most stable shape right now and it's future looks bleak, soooo many teachers have come and gone in the last 2 years it's been open, including the headteacher and the deputy headteacher.

But in my case do you think I should choose french? In lae do you speak a lot in every lesson is it like a normality that students must get used to? My pronunciation is very good but obviously I may stop here and there so I may not have the best fluency!

And LAE is my first option then Ilford county boys which is also good then after that it's probably Monoux! Become Monoux is close. I heard positive things about lae mostly so your comments came as a shock really tbh. I know there's high expectations and they really push you and there are loads of extra curricular stuff am I correct btw?

Feed me in I need to know as much as possible!!! Merci Beaucoup :wink:
Is it like every class you are required to speak a lot?

Depends on the teacher whether so you speak more in French or in English, but yes, it's speaking in every class, often expressing opinions and reactions to whatever topic you're studying at that moment. In my AS class there were 8 of us, so less speaking on your own, but lots of speaking in groups or pairs to practice. Speaking is an essential element to a language and you will do a lot. However, you shouldn't let your stammer stop you from doing something you enjoy.
Whether you speak a lot in class will depend on your teacher. As for assessment the oral is only worth about 10% of your mark. If you can make it up in other areas you'll be fine.

I have a stammer and got an A in French A Level, and am currently in my final year doing it at a good uni - it can be done. If you enjoy French don't let your stammer stop you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
But in my case do you think I should choose french? In lae do you speak a lot in every lesson is it like a normality that students must get used to? My pronunciation is very good but obviously I may stop here and there so I may not have the best fluency!

And LAE is my first option then Ilford county boys which is also good then after that it's probably Monoux! Become Monoux is close. I heard positive things about lae mostly so your comments came as a shock really tbh. I know there's high expectations and they really push you and there are loads of extra curricular stuff am I correct btw?

Feed me in I need to know as much as possible!!! Merci Beaucoup :wink:

I'll send you a PM.

Quick Reply

Latest