The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tbh, I could not give a damn about anything except money. I want to make a lot of it. Used to be quite non-fussed as a student, but these days I would cheat to win if I needed to. An abundance of it is the only thing I find missing in my life, don't want to wait for inheritances and all that, I want to make my own way.
Original post by Eboracum
Yeah. You still have a BSc (presumably) from LSE though, good going brah.

Awesome man. Yeah, I just want the status of having a Masters and a PHD tbh. :colondollar: I'm weighting up the classic third year scenario of whether to do a grad scheme or a masters next. Head says grad scheme, heart says masters.I'm still in the hunt for a few things but it is tough going, have you applied for grad schemes for September entry? My mate is applying for all the big banks.

Yeah love London man. My mate is at LSE, also my other mate is a trader at a oil company and I have another mate at UCL. Place to be. I love nights out in London, you been to that Sushi Samba bar? Incredible.

Yeah. I've got it in my head I'm at UCL. I want to be a diplomat so I feel it's the place to be.

Yeah. You still have a BSc (presumably) from LSE though, good going brah.

Awesome man. Yeah, I just want the status of having a Masters and a PHD tbh. :colondollar: I'm weighting up the classic third year scenario of whether to do a grad scheme or a masters next. Head says grad scheme, heart says masters.I'm still in the hunt for a few things but it is tough going, have you applied for grad schemes for September entry? My mate is applying for all the big banks.

Yeah love London man. My mate is at LSE, also my other mate is a trader at a oil company and I have another mate at UCL. Place to be. I love nights out in London, you been to that Sushi Samba bar? Incredible.

Yeah. I've got it in my head I'm at UCL. I want to be a diplomat so I feel it's the place to be.

No I'm going for January entry at the latest. Maybe I'll through in a few Sept apps if that doesnt work out as planned.

Very few diplomat gigs going really, know loads of people from LSE who had to fight very hard. My brother works at the Dutch embassey in Berlin actually but he got that randomly and isnt a diplomat but a translator. It's a nice lifestyle.

Not really into the bull**** City or high end west end venues at all, cant stand alot of the people who go there. Much prefer just to chill around East London given the choice.
Am quite jealous of you guys and your career prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom_Ford
Tbh, I could not give a damn about anything except money. I want to make a lot of it. Used to be quite non-fussed as a student, but these days I would cheat to win if I needed to. An abundance of it is the only thing I find missing in my life, don't want to wait for inheritances and all that, I want to make my own way.

That's actually quite a refreshing viewpoint. For some reason, people try to shy away from this aspect a little bit these days. Who doesn't want money? Especially after you've worked so hard for it yourself. I hope that as a future corporate/company legal executive, I too shall be making a respectable income.

Although, it would be ambitious to say the least that I too would also love a Masters and/or PhD. What are you currently doing Tom? :smile: Career/Education wise.
Original post by Isometrix
It's cray all you need is a camera, computer, internet connection, and willing to do stupid and pointless stuff. Within a year you can become a millionaire.

Prank channels seem to be very in at the moment. That and trolling people in public.

Pewdiepie's estimated yearly earnings is between £1.3-£10.6 million... I'm not sure how reliable the site is though.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Welcome to the Misc girlfriend :cool:

Hello there :colone:
Original post by Zürich
No I'm going for January entry at the latest. Maybe I'll through in a few Sept apps if that doesnt work out as planned.

Very few diplomat gigs going really, know loads of people from LSE who had to fight very hard. My brother works at the Dutch embassey in Berlin actually but he got that randomly and isnt a diplomat but a translator. It's a nice lifestyle.

Not really into the bull**** City or high end west end venues at all, cant stand alot of the people who go there. Much prefer just to chill around East London given the choice.

Yeah man go for it. My mate went for Deutsche and JP Morgan. He's applying for Chemistry PHDs as well :colondollar:...#diverseportfolio

Yeah. It's a tough road ahead. But we will all meet our destination with hard work. I'd be happy for a think-tank, NGO, charity, even what I was doing before when I was an intern at Parliament as a first job post-uni.

Fair man. Yeah, I love the posh bars and yuppie lifestyle. The posher and more elegant the bar the better for me. I was in Plateau in Canary Wharf in Summer, that's an awesome bar :colondollar:
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Am quite jealous of you guys and your career prospects.

Hello FK. Nice to see you. And I did get your messages, sorry, been busy with uni work so I didn't reply. You at uni? You working?
That's actually quite a refreshing viewpoint. For some reason, people try to shy away from this aspect a little bit these days. Who doesn't want money? Especially after you've worked so hard for it yourself. I hope that as a future corporate/company legal executive, I too shall be making a respectable income.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess. For me it's about the status. Like I'd rather Civil Service grad scheme for 25k than Aldi grad scheme for 41k + company car. But I guess any grad scheme will pay a decent starting salary, but Mr Ford is right to go for money. To be honest I view success as financial/career based.

EDIT: But it's primarily about interest!

Although, it would be ambitious to say the least that I too would also love a Masters and/or PhD. What are you currently doing Tom? :smile: Career/Education wise.

Law grad from a Russell Group. I worked in a bank which paid £20k a year (my first proper job) in the north east for me to do PPI cases (standard grad job basically). Didn't work very long there because it was not what I wanted to do, it was so boring and I was unhappy.
Got contacted by a recruitment consultant this morning saying that I will be put straight to the assessment centre for external audit at Mazars but tbh that also sounds boring as hell. Bumming around going to the next step in my life basically.

I want to go into marketing (both online and conventional) and then open my own firm in the future. Bit of a career change away from law/finance but it's something that has always interested me and I have some experience. Plus, if you can do a job you enjoy as well as make money from it, all the better. Rather that than accountancy and all that type of stuff tbh. I would also like to open a successful modern restaurant in the future in line with familial tradition.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess. For me it's about the status. Like I'd rather Civil Service grad scheme for 25k than Aldi grad scheme for 41k + company car. But I guess any grad scheme will pay a decent starting salary, but Mr Ford is right to go for money. To be honest I view success as financial/career based.

EDIT: But it's primarily about interest!

Very true.
Hope that wasn't taken the wrong way, I've been reading through you guys' career conversation and its lovely to see people being so ambitious and passionate and also very determined about what they intend to do after University. Then I saw Tom's post and he basically said he just wants money he's worked for which was a different view.

For me personally, having the academic qualifications leads to respect and status like you said and who doesn't want that? Having an advanced degree such as a masters or PhD in any area of law for me would be absolutely awesome to have.

Of course this isn't me putting down those that do not or did not go to uni etc.

:smile:
Hello FK. Nice to see you. And I did get your messages, sorry, been busy with uni work so I didn't reply. You at uni? You working?

That's fine mate, hope you're well. Yeah I'm at uni, and it's hard, very hard...
Selling all my PS3 stuff on ebay. Hoping to score around £170 for the lot, would mean can upgrade to a PS4 for a pretty good price. Should have done this as soon as the PS4 was announced tbh, I've lost a lot of value on it now. But hoping it attracts bids from christmas shoppers. Gotta love when a bidding war starts on your own item.
Law grad from a Russell Group. I worked in a bank which paid £20k a year (my first proper job) in the north east for me to do PPI cases (standard grad job basically). Didn't work very long there because it was not what I wanted to do, it was so boring and I was unhappy.
Got contacted by a recruitment consultant this morning saying that I will be put straight to the assessment centre for external audit at Mazars but tbh that also sounds boring as hell. Bumming around going to the next step in my life basically.

I want to go into marketing (both online and conventional) and then open my own firm in the future. Bit of a career change away from law/finance but it's something that has always interested me and I have some experience. Plus, if you can do a job you enjoy as well as make money from it, all the better. Rather that than accountancy and all that type of stuff tbh. I would also like to open a successful modern restaurant in the future in line with familial tradition.

Awesome man. Yeah I'm third year Politics Russell atm. I imagine you Tom to be a bit like Harvey Specter, so I'm not surprised to see you did Law.

Tbh my mate wanted to do Law, he did three lots of work exp and hated it and said it wasn't for him. Said he'd made a mistake for the status. It's hard to get into isn't it with the grad schemes? Like my mate at LSE got the highest grades in the year for an Economics course and failed the Linklaters online tests, said they were just too difficult. I imagine it's insane.

A restaurant would be awesome. We should have a TSR meal at your place. I imagine the waiters would all be dressed in Tom Ford suits? :colondollar:

Very true.
Hope that wasn't taken the wrong way, I've been reading through you guys' career conversation and its lovely to see people being so ambitious and passionate and also very determined about what they intend to do after University. Then I saw Tom's post and he basically said he just wants money he's worked for which was a different view.

For me personally, having the academic qualifications leads to respect and status like you said and who doesn't want that? Having an advanced degree such as a masters or PhD in any area of law for me would be absolutely awesome to have.

Of course this isn't me putting down those that do not or did not go to uni etc.

:smile:

It's fair game tbh. Nothing wrong with money being the message. For me I want power. We're all quite ambitious on here. I like that. There's a good vibe and buzz.

I sort of take the view that these grad schemes are just schemes, where as academic quals are things you've got forever. I just want the chance to study at the great unis you know.

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
That's fine mate, hope you're well. Yeah I'm at uni, and it's hard, very hard...

What do you study? I'd have a guess and say perhaps Chemistry?
Selling all my PS3 stuff on ebay. Hoping to score around £170 for the lot, would mean can upgrade to a PS4 for a pretty good price. Should have done this as soon as the PS4 was announced tbh, I've lost a lot of value on it now. But hoping it attracts bids from christmas shoppers. Gotta love when a bidding war starts on your own item.

I'm a 360 man, I'm thinking of treating myself to a PS4 and Fifa at Christmas. Do you think it's worth it, like would the step up from 360/PS3 to PS4 be significant? Think it's about £325 on Amazon then the game is £40.

What do you study? I'd have a guess and say perhaps Chemistry?

Haha i detested Chemistry (I still do :laugh: ). Dentistry :smile:

I'm a 360 man, I'm thinking of treating myself to a PS4 and Fifa at Christmas. Do you think it's worth it, like would the step up from 360/PS3 to PS4 be significant? Think it's about £325 on Amazon then the game is £40.

It definitely is. I've had my Ps4 for a year now and one of the best purchases of my life. Just got GTA today, the graphics and gameplay are absolutely unreal, not to mention FIFA. Would recommend 100%.

That's incredible. It just goes to show how diverse a law degree is! Well, I wish you well with it all. Hope it does become a reality for you soon enough.
I'm a first year Law Undergrad so I guess you should know now that I'll be coming to you with any questions regarding the degree! What classification did you finish with? Was it difficult to achieve this?

I never understand how people can be so comfortable with buying electronics online let alone eBay! I'd be so scared about what I would do if it stopped working or something like that. I've still got the fat ps3, think I might switch over to an Xbox One... know anything about Xboxes? Been a PlayStation type of gal since I can remember :tongue:

It's fair game tbh. Nothing wrong with money being the message. For me I want power. We're all quite ambitious on here. I like that. There's a good vibe and buzz.
I sort of take the view that these grad schemes are just schemes, where as academic quals are things you've got forever. I just want the chance to study at the great unis you know.

This is why I need to finish with a 2:1 or higher, I want to get into an even better institution for my postgrad studies.

I get you Ebora, you'll do great :h: A master in politics!

Tbh unless you're really into gaming I wouldn't say there is a massive upgrade. The visuals on the PS4 are stunning although not majorly better than the Xbox One. But they are both ahead of the previous gen consoles in terms of finer detail graphics. It looks like the PS4 has dimmed down on its contrast with colours to make games appear more natural to what you'd seen in real life. It's hard to explain but if you compared the graphics to the PS3 you may see what I mean:

[video="youtube;y-mXmsDoks8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-mXmsDoks8[/video]

The amazon prices have just gone up, must be the christmas shoppers. When I checked last week they were doing the console + FIFA or COD for £320. I'll probably wait until after Christmas to see if there's any good sale price on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Awesome man. Yeah I'm third year Politics Russell atm. I imagine you Tom to be a bit like Harvey Specter, so I'm not surprised to see you did Law.

Tbh my mate wanted to do Law, he did three lots of work exp and hated it and said it wasn't for him. Said he'd made a mistake for the status. It's hard to get into isn't it with the grad schemes? Like my mate at LSE got the highest grades in the year for an Economics course and failed the Linklaters online tests, said they were just too difficult. I imagine it's insane.

A restaurant would be awesome. We should have a TSR meal at your place. I imagine the waiters would all be dressed in Tom Ford suits? :colondollar:

I would prefer being Don Draper these days aha. :lol:
Yes, did the work experience myself, both with barristers and commercial solicitors, did not really enjoy it. Yes, I made a mistake re status too, it was what the college and parents pushed me towards. I was too young to know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life but figured it would be a good degree to take.

And I want to do postgrad one day too, but I want to save up money and experiences for it. I have a big desire to do the Oxford MBA one day, and finally settle all academic scores with peers once and for all with an Oxbridge degree. But, that is some way down the line yet. Self made money first.

I am making sacrifices to my life such as living with parents (although I am happy with them) and commuting to work. But, I will do what I have to do. I don't have much money myself, but I have never been in debt and I don't use credit cards/borrow money. And that is very important as a start to our lives, credit cards and the like are a bad road to go down. Living above ones means is a bad road to go down. Once you become accustomed to certain luxuries you find that it is like an addiction. You need to work like a slave to maintain that lifestyle and you are still the same slave to money as the rest of the working people.
I like the simple things in life, same with my best mate when I was in uni and his family. Eton educated, first class in Economics and working at JP Morgan as a grad. But, his family still shop at Aldi, Primark and the likes. I learnt a lot about how to live from that guy, and my own family. Money in itself I don't find a need to use much, I have everything I want materially and I am not a big spender. I just want to prove myself though, that is what I think money will give me. It's a measurement of one's achievement. I also believe in making money work for me, and not me working for money. I want to be truly free out of my own doing, if that makes sense.

And yes, the waiters will all be dressed in Tom Ford suits :smile: .

I never understand how people can be so comfortable with buying electronics online let alone eBay! I'd be so scared about what I would do if it stopped working or something like that. I've still got the fat ps3, think I might switch over to an Xbox One... know anything about Xboxes? Been a PlayStation type of gal since I can remember :tongue:

If it's new its fine, especially if its Amazon which I've had no problems with for god knows how many years I've been ordering form. Probably wouldn't buy expensive electronics from ebay though, especially since a lot of private sellers dont accept returns.

Nah always been a playstation guy. The general concensus from the gaming community seems to be that both are great consoles, and user specific. If you like to incorporate tv into your console the xbox one is able to hook up to your tv guide so you can have everything in one place. The PS4 does have better specs but when you see them side by side, its hard to notice a major difference in graphics. Both are beastly machines.

Latest