The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
Out of interest, have you chosen to only teach two lessons a week or is that your school?

Since the week after half term, I've been teaching 8 lessons a week... In addition, I have three collaborative lessons a week and 2 observations. And as I'm only in school Monday-Thursday, I get about 6 frees a week which means i'm doing a lot of work at home too.

I'm glad in a way - it means that I'm kinda used to the 8 hours a week now.

The first week was so difficult though.

Well uni says I'm supposed to teach seven hours a week in my first placement. My mentor and I agreed that after half term we would build it up to seven. However since the school runs on a two week time table it just happens that I haven't had to teach the classes I was supposed to yet. For example, I was supposed to start year 9 teaching last week but I have no year 9s in that week.

I do sort of feel like I would have benefitted from more teaching hours earlier on, because it means I feel I may be underprepared for my second placement where I am expected to do 16 a week.

However there's another trainee at my school and she teaches one hour a week and told me that's how it is going to be for her whole first placement (until March! !), which sounds really odd to me.

But yeah, it's varying experience even at the same uni. When I see people on uni days it really is a mixed bag. Some are doing a lot more hours than we are supposed to, others haven't been teaching at all. I've got a great mentor at my school who would let me do as much or little as I like, so I've just ran with her suggestions so far.

You sound busy!! How many teaching hours are you supposed to be doing according to your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
For the first time in a while I'm not feeling stressed! I have almost everything sorted for next week so can enjoy an afternoon and evening Christmas shopping and visiting the Christmas Market with my boyfriend. This is much needed!!

As for teaching hours, our expected percentage of timetable goes up each week but it isn't set in stone. Next week I am teaching about 10 hours and the week after about 12. Last week, though, it was 5 due to Christmas play practice and the week before it was an unexpected 8 (I had to deliver an extra hour due to my mentor being in a meeting that overran).
Original post by Airfairy
Well uni says I'm supposed to teach seven hours a week in my first placement. My mentor and I agreed that after half term we would build it up to seven. However since the school runs on a two week time table it just happens that I haven't had to teach the classes I was supposed to yet. For example, I was supposed to start year 9 teaching last week but I have no year 9s in that week.

I do sort of feel like I would have benefitted from more teaching hours earlier on, because it means I feel I may be underprepared for my second placement where I am expected to do 16 a week.

However there's another trainee at my school and she teaches one hour a week and told me that's how it is going to be for her whole first placement (until March! !), which sounds really odd to me.

But yeah, it's varying experience even at the same uni. When I see people on uni days it really is a mixed bag. Some are doing a lot more hours than we are supposed to, others haven't been teaching at all. I've got a great mentor at my school who would let me do as much or little as I like, so I've just ran with her suggestions so far.

You sound busy!! How many teaching hours are you supposed to be doing according to your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good - at least you're going at a pace that you're comfortable with. It's quite daunting when you don't know the classes but it's amazing how much better and more confident you feel when you're teaching slightly more.

Ah yeah, the two week timetable is a nightmare! My week A is awesome, everything's really spread out but in week B i have almost all frees on monday and tuesday and then two 5 period days weds and thurs D:

We're supposed to be doing 8 (I'm technically doing 8.5 because one of the lessons I teach is a 1.5 hour lesson D:smile: so I'm on track but I'm just panicking slightly that I'm not going to get any better in the 17 days left on placement :/
Original post by Samus2
That's good - at least you're going at a pace that you're comfortable with. It's quite daunting when you don't know the classes but it's amazing how much better and more confident you feel when you're teaching slightly more.

Ah yeah, the two week timetable is a nightmare! My week A is awesome, everything's really spread out but in week B i have almost all frees on monday and tuesday and then two 5 period days weds and thurs D:

We're supposed to be doing 8 (I'm technically doing 8.5 because one of the lessons I teach is a 1.5 hour lesson D:smile: so I'm on track but I'm just panicking slightly that I'm not going to get any better in the 17 days left on placement :/

I know my weeks are same. Week 1 is really nice - good classes and a total free day where I just work but then week 2 is hectic. Oh well :frown:

I know what you mean about getting better! I can't believe we have such little time left. One of my weeks will be spent on primary placement too, and I have a conference day, so that's technically 12 days left for me. Eeek. I don't know about you but our uni have said that our second placement is basically assuming that we have built up teaching skills and can manage quite well on our own, and that sounds quite unrealistic for me at the moment - another downside of hardly having taught much.

It feels like so far the whole PGCE has been me just taking each day as it comes and riding the wave. Next placement will be tough! I like how it's quite broken up with holidays that will be spent writing uni essays though.
So i face my y7s again tomorrow and im already streasing out about it. Mentor says lesson looks fine but i need to make it so that my entry and starter activity are one and the same. I thought what id set was, questions on the board for them to consider as they come in (what is a function etc) then go through the answers as the starter and move on to the main. But she says find something that all just does the work, im really stuck :/ plus i need to redo their seating plan and really dont know how to do it, i hate this lesson so much :frown: and according to my mentor i should love y7 as theyre the most fun (hah!)
Original post by Ratchit99
So i face my y7s again tomorrow and im already streasing out about it. Mentor says lesson looks fine but i need to make it so that my entry and starter activity are one and the same. I thought what id set was, questions on the board for them to consider as they come in (what is a function etc) then go through the answers as the starter and move on to the main. But she says find something that all just does the work, im really stuck :/ plus i need to redo their seating plan and really dont know how to do it, i hate this lesson so much :frown: and according to my mentor i should love y7 as theyre the most fun (hah!)

I don't really understand what she means for the starter. What is wrong with them considering questions and going over it? Does she mean that some students won't participate? I hate how much stock is put into the three chunked lesson thing. I find that different teachers have different 'rules' with this. I hardly ever do plenaries :ninja: .

It is a shame it is a stressful class for you, as I like year 7s. I generally like them less and less as the year goes up :lol: .
I actually enjoy them more as they go up, i love my y10 and 11 classes, the guys are all lovely.
I thought it would be good, so now having a cuppa while watching the f1 and using it to just mull over. To make this week worse i have my course tutor coming in for his official observation on thursday during my y8s :/

What are you struggling with in terms of their seating plan? X
Original post by outlaw-torn
What are you struggling with in terms of their seating plan? X

Just something workable. My mentor set me the task of doing it as a way to get to know my pupils. So last week i did boy/girl alternatiting with awareness to behaviour and ability so low ability were sat next to high ability, the disruptive kid between two calm quiet kids. It didnt go badly but now im thinking i should shift them about as one of the quiet girls came up to me after and begged not to be sat next to the disruptive kid as she found it hard to concentrate on her work, but the boy who my mentor usually sits next to the disruptive kid as a controlling influence actively came up and thanked me for moving him so he doesnt have to deal with the disruptive kid. Just not sure where to go with it...my mentor says its all entirely up to me but kids work better next to their friends but how do i sit them next to their friends and still have some form of control over who is sitting next to who?!? Lol
Just something workable. My mentor set me the task of doing it as a way to get to know my pupils. So last week i did boy/girl alternatiting with awareness to behaviour and ability so low ability were sat next to high ability, the disruptive kid between two calm quiet kids. It didnt go badly but now im thinking i should shift them about as one of the quiet girls came up to me after and begged not to be sat next to the disruptive kid as she found it hard to concentrate on her work, but the boy who my mentor usually sits next to the disruptive kid as a controlling influence actively came up and thanked me for moving him so he doesnt have to deal with the disruptive kid. Just not sure where to go with it...my mentor says its all entirely up to me but kids work better next to their friends but how do i sit them next to their friends and still have some form of control over who is sitting next to who?!? Lol

That's quite a mean thing for the mentor to ask of you, actually. Learning how to handle the class dynamics of a bunch of kids you don't know is a big ask. As a long standing old bag of 30+ years' experience, I start with alphabetical order until they prove themselves worthy of choosing their own place, but then, I most certainly wouldn't pass a PGCE now anyway, largely because I would be telling the university where to shove its unreasonable demands... and I used to be a mentor, too...
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That's quite a mean thing for the mentor to ask of you, actually. Learning how to handle the class dynamics of a bunch of kids you don't know is a big ask. As a long standing old bag of 30+ years' experience, I start with alphabetical order until they prove themselves worthy of choosing their own place, but then, I most certainly wouldn't pass a PGCE now anyway, largely because I would be telling the university where to shove its unreasonable demands... and I used to be a mentor, too...

Thanks :frown: i feel its alot but my mentor says since ive been with these guys since the beginning of my placement it shouldnt pose a problem, but im finding worrying about that and trying to get the lesson right in the first place is really getting me down. My husband has made me walk away from my computer till after our roast as im just starint at tomorrows lesson plan in dispair!
Original post by Samus2
Two lessons to plan for tomorrow and I'm completely stuck on one of them D:

Everyone gets block some of the time. Are there any shared resources within your department? The TES is also brilliant for getting ideas from (even if quality is extremely variable). If all else fails, try asking on here.

Everyone enjoys different things about teaching, so I wouldn't let that worry you, personally. And I also don't get what your mentor means by changing the starter - if you don't assess it in some way there's next to no point in doing it (except as a fascinator, which can be very effective). With regards to the seating plan, if you have a class test to hand I would use that as a guide; think about the areas of the classroom you naturally focus on - I tend to look to the left - and place underperforming pupils there. Build from that to move behaviourally difficult pupils to the front separated by one or two docile pupils.
Thanks :frown: i feel its alot but my mentor says since ive been with these guys since the beginning of my placement it shouldnt pose a problem, but im finding worrying about that and trying to get the lesson right in the first place is really getting me down. My husband has made me walk away from my computer till after our roast as im just starint at tomorrows lesson plan in dispair!

I'm afraid the PGCE year is just a horrible endurance test for most people and although I'd love to wave a magic wand and make it right for everyone on this thread, there is no doubt that it is a baptism of fire which no one can really bypass. The only way to think of it is that, one day, you will be boss of your own classroom. I have nothing but sympathy for everyone in this forum. As someone who is not so much phoning it in as semaphoring it from the top of a very large hill by now, I can tell you that it does get easier, but I would also hate, hate, hate to have to start all over again.
Original post by tory88

Everyone enjoys different things about teaching, so I wouldn't let that worry you, personally. And I also don't get what your mentor means by changing the starter - if you don't assess it in some way there's next to no point in doing it (except as a fascinator, which can be very effective). With regards to the seating plan, if you have a class test to hand I would use that as a guide; think about the areas of the classroom you naturally focus on - I tend to look to the left - and place underperforming pupils there. Build from that to move behaviourally difficult pupils to the front separated by one or two docile pupils.

Thanks, ill look at my data again later and decide what to do, i think i might do a mix of tactical and friendship and see where that takes me.

Cattelyn, i think your right, i am so exhausted now and just looking forward to xmas tbh, its just so scary at the moment and im paranoid of everything i do and worried that itll go wrong. My mentor says im a perfectionist and i need to let go of that and just go with the flow, i tried it with my y8s on thursday and it did go smoother, so i guess just try again tomorrow with the y7s and see how it goes. I do have a problem with fixating and im well aware of it (as is my husband) so i know i just need to plan and let it flow as it will within the space of my plan. I guess it becomes more natural over time!
Original post by tory88
Everyone gets block some of the time. Are there any shared resources within your department? The TES is also brilliant for getting ideas from (even if quality is extremely variable). If all else fails, try asking on here.

There are resources within the department but I've been told off slightly when I've used them before :/

I've had a look on TES and I'm so stuck... I know what knowledge I need to give the kids but I can't think of anything more exciting than a written task to give them.
Original post by Samus2
There are resources within the department but I've been told off slightly when I've used them before :/

I've had a look on TES and I'm so stuck... I know what knowledge I need to give the kids but I can't think of anything more exciting than a written task to give them.

What have you got to do? Maybe we can help as a community?
What have you got to do? Maybe we can help as a community?

My lesson is on the abolition of slavery and what led to the emancipation of the slaves in 1863...

Last lesson we covered the key abolitionists and the abolition movement in Britain so now I'm focusing on the American aboltion movement (Lincoln, divide between North and South etc)
It's for a mixed ability year 8 class
Original post by Samus2
My lesson is on the abolition of slavery and what led to the emancipation of the slaves in 1863...

Last lesson we covered the key abolitionists and the abolition movement in Britain so now I'm focusing on the American aboltion movement (Lincoln, divide between North and South etc)
It's for a mixed ability year 8 class

What about hot seating, maybe uou could pretend to be an abolitionist and they have to ask you questions, you could talk about your opinions and stuff like that?
Original post by Samus2

Why have you been told off for using the department resources?
Original post by Airfairy
Why have you been told off for using the department resources?

My department has shared lessons for each member of staff to use to ensure consistency. Using the lessons that are already made doesn't actually help my own development as a teacher (which I agree with) so I'm steering clear of using them entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending