The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yo!
These were my subjects for the Nov 2014 session...
HL: Maths, Chem, Physics
SL: English A Lit, ITGS, Spanish Ab Initio
I want to go into Engineering (most likely Mechanical) :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by eiutyd
Yo!
These were my subjects for the Nov 2014 session...
HL: Maths, Chem, Physics
SL: English A Lit, ITGS, Spanish Ab Initio
I want to go into Engineering (most likely Mechanical) :wink:

Hi, hope your exams went well! How did you find HL Maths? Does it get easier after a while as I'm finding it impossible at the moment :wink:
HL: English Lit, Philosophy and Chemistry
SL: History, Spanish Ab and Math

Applied to study Law :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by peculiarcolour

How are you finding Philosophy and which set text are you studying?:smile:
Reply 24
HL: Maths, Physics, Economics
SL: Lit, Italian B, Chemistry

My choice is Computer Science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Illse
HL: Maths, Physics, Economics
SL: Lit, Italian B, Chemistry

My choice is Computer Science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you finding HL Maths as deadly as I am?:wink:
Reply 26
Original post by MSJKSP
Are you finding HL Maths as deadly as I am?:wink:

Hmmm depends on the chapter. I generally adore maths but there are things that I do not particularly enjoy. Nevertheless, I think that the exercises are quite similar every year. So if you do thousands past papers and exercises from question bank you are very likely to get a 7. But in my case... there is not enough time *.* I am still too slow...

Math HL is not a cup of cake, though I still fInd Physics HL more difficult :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
HL: English & World Lit, History, Philosophy, Biology
SL: Maths Studies, Spanish ab initio

I'm applying for English Lit with Creative Writing :smile:
It's not too bad, doing Philosophy of Religion right now which I'm not a fan of but other than that I really enjoy it. We're doing Nietzsche's 'On The Genealogy of Morality'. You?

Original post by MSJKSP
How are you finding Philosophy and which set text are you studying?:smile:

Reply 29
It's not too bad, doing Philosophy of Religion right now which I'm not a fan of but other than that I really enjoy it. We're doing Nietzsche's 'On The Genealogy of Morality'. You?

ooooh at the moment I'm doing the core theme 'What is a human being' and Plato's Republic :smile: they're not too bad, and always interesting!
HL: Maths, Economics, History
SL: English A Lit, Chemistry, Italian Ab Initio

I've applied to study Accounting and Finance
:smile:
I'm only starting the IB next year, but I'm planning to take
English literature HL
German language and literature HL
history HL
French ab initio/Italian B SL
maths studies SL
computer science SL

and I want to study English at university.
Just wondering if Oxbridge accept maths studies?
Original post by walkinginthesky
HL: Maths, Physics, German A LangLit
SL: Chemistry, Economics, English A LangLit

I've applied for civil engineering :biggrin:

How are IB languages? I am definitely considering IB, but my GCSE Spanish has been really boring and repetitive- not a great teacher- so I'm wondering if I might enjoy IB more due to new teachers (I am changing school) new syllabus etc.
Original post by Romula
Yeah but if you love the subject they say it's okay. Good luck with everything, PM me if I can ever help with something 😊

I got into my choice sixth form :biggrin: I just have to decide whether IB is right for me now...
Reply 35
Original post by Nomes24
I got into my choice sixth form :biggrin: I just have to decide whether IB is right for me now...

Congratulations!! Fantastic! Well, re your post above, IB languages are VERY different from IGCSE, so they say. What are your pros and cons of the IB? Why are you considering it? I suppose the closest set of A Levels to yours are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Eng Lit if you do a fifth. How does that sound? And congrats again!
Original post by Romula
Congratulations!! Fantastic! Well, re your post above, IB languages are VERY different from IGCSE, so they say. What are your pros and cons of the IB? Why are you considering it? I suppose the closest set of A Levels to yours are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Eng Lit if you do a fifth. How does that sound? And congrats again!

Those are the A Levels I would do, although perhaps not FM... might swap HL Maths to HL English, not totally sure! I'm considering IB because I don't want to drop a lot of my subjects, love the philosophy, the lessons sound really cool- I mean the international texts in English HL really appeal. Also my sixth form offers Political Thought, which seems perfect for me. I like the idea of the coursework (IAs?) and in general having such a wide subject range. However I am slightly worried that it will be too much work, and that doing A Level will allow me to actually enjoy sixth form more... / go deeper into subjects... / do more co-curricular stuff? Also universities might not like it if I did SL Maths and applied for PPE? I don't know :O
Reply 37
Original post by Nomes24
Those are the A Levels I would do, although perhaps not FM... might swap HL Maths to HL English, not totally sure! I'm considering IB because I don't want to drop a lot of my subjects, love the philosophy, the lessons sound really cool- I mean the international texts in English HL really appeal. Also my sixth form offers Political Thought, which seems perfect for me. I like the idea of the coursework (IAs?) and in general having such a wide subject range. However I am slightly worried that it will be too much work, and that doing A Level will allow me to actually enjoy sixth form more... / go deeper into subjects... / do more co-curricular stuff? Also universities might not like it if I did SL Maths and applied for PPE? I don't know :O

No, just checked and Oxford only wants SL/AS Maths for PPE- maybe then English, Physics and History at HL and Maths, Spanish and Economics at SL is right for you? Or for A Levels- which do allow more depth, true- Maths, Physics, History and Eng Lit? There wouldn't be much difference between the workloads...
Original post by Romula
No, just checked and Oxford only wants SL/AS Maths for PPE- maybe then English, Physics and History at HL and Maths, Spanish and Economics at SL is right for you? Or for A Levels- which do allow more depth, true- Maths, Physics, History and Eng Lit? There wouldn't be much difference between the workloads...

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know Oxford say that but it could be a slight disadvantage if you don't have more than an AS- apparently some colleges won't consider you if you don't have the full A Level? Or so I've heard. It could be rubbish to be honest :confused:

I want to believe that there won't be much difference in workload, but then why does IB have such a horrible reputation for ruining your social life etc??? A Level doesn't have that...

Thanks for taking the time to reply by the way, so nice to talk to a fellow Y11 interested in the same (IB) subjects as me :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by Nomes24
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know Oxford say that but it could be a slight disadvantage if you don't have more than an AS- apparently some colleges won't consider you if you don't have the full A Level? Or so I've heard. It could be rubbish to be honest :confused:

I want to believe that there won't be much difference in workload, but then why does IB have such a horrible reputation for ruining your social life etc??? A Level doesn't have that...

Thanks for taking the time to reply by the way, so nice to talk to a fellow Y11 interested in the same (IB) subjects as me :biggrin:

Don't worry! Same here 😊 I don't know much about Oxford- I'm a Cambridge person myself- but I think having Maths A level, which I think you have to do anyway if you do maths because the A level courses are going linear, would create a more than strong enough application. And the reason the IB has that rep is because you only have to do 3 A levels, and if you do 4 or 5 you can (could) drop one or two at AS; but with the IB you have to do 6, and more often than not there's one that you only take because you have to (English for me), but you have to work at anyway. The IB is for all-rounders. Look, you can't get through either A Levels or IB if you prioritise your social life, and the people who complain are usually the ones who have only just realised that 😊

Latest

Trending

Trending