The Student Room Group

People I live with have become criminals, what do I do?

10 bed room house this year.

7 of us are completely fine. Go about our normal student business, other 3 have become house mates from hell - but worse, they don't even follow the law.

Before i carry on, we have reported this to our estate agent who told who to go to the police, when we spoke to police they said go to the estate agent. :mad:

Our house has been dealing drugs, only weed. But it's been bringing the wrong peoples around. Food has started going missing, and money has been robbed from someones purse. The front door is continually left unlocked and random strangers are walking round our hallways. And have occasionally tried to come into our rooms.

A few people reported the weed smoking, and then we got threatened by there mates who come round to buy/smoke with them. So the issue continued with everyone to scared to react.

Recently, our neighbours threw a party, my house mates attended with their friends who buy/smoke off them. After the party 2 grand worth of items were stolen, Including peoples wallets, money and macbook and ipads. Cards from one of the wallets which was stolen was found in our garden. :confused:

Finally, earlier this week, the house mate in question and there friends dragged a guy from another 'gang' into our property, beat him up and then mugged him. Before kicking him out of the house.

This has really become a bit more of a ghetto scene than a happy household of students. And everyone is beginning to suffer and not feel safe in there home. :frown:

Has anyone got any advice of how we can eliminate the criminal activities occuring in our house?

Scroll to see replies

oh wow. i got a bit annoyed when you basically said that the estate agent and police were doing nothing about this - what's the point of having them there then?
have you told the police what exactly they have been up to? like reported them for beating up the guy or money being stolen? this is really unacceptable and i feel sorry for you and the other students. if you can, why dont you move out?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm highly surprised the police told you to contact your estate agent over this issue, did you tell them absolutely everything you said here? They have committed serious crimes including assault. I'd go to the police again, preferably a different officer.
get outta there asap
Keep a detailed diary of everything going on: date, time, duration, which persons (names if you have them), location, description of activity/nuisance, what actions you took (e.g. reported to police etc) and a description of how it is affecting/disrupting your life/peace. i.e. fear from threats of violence and theft, making you feel unsafe and anxious, affecting your work at university, loss of sleep and rest etc.

When you report an incident to the police, do it at the time of the incident via the phone (not 999) and ask for an Unique Reference Number (URN). State this number in your diary. With enough reports, this will flag up as a trouble hotspot on their database and the police will be duty bound to investigate/take steps.

Write to your council Environmental Health Department reporting the incidents and attach the diary notes (keep copies) telling them you want the nuisance to stop.

Find out the details of the Landlord (should be in your contract). There should be clauses about illegal activities on the property which are in breach of the contract.

Pass that information on to the council.

Inform your university (personnel department) about what is happening and how it is affecting you/others.

Seek legal advice. If the contract is being broken, then the landlord is incumbent to correct the issue and the council can put pressure on him to do so. You may also have a right to claim back rent (if he does nothing) because he is in breach of his contract to provide you with the accommodation fit-for-purpose as in your contract.

Escalation paths if needed: contact your local MP. Contact your local newspaper.

Good luck.
Just look around for somewhere else and move out - it's only your problem if you make it to be your problem. Let them deal with their kidulthood remake.
Original post by stargirl63
Just look around for somewhere else and move out - it's only your problem if you make it to be your problem. Let them deal with their kidulthood remake.
And then some other unsuspecting students sleepwalk into the same nightmare and the cycle continues.

The lowlifes/bullies get away with their crimes and many more peoples lives are made miserable as a result. The landlord keeps taking rent because he can't be arsed to deal with the problem. The Estate Agents keep taking money off the landlord and carries on making profit whilst doing nothing.

Then people wonder why the crime rate keeps going up, the neighbourhood goes to hell and people move out whilst the squatters and drug addicts move in.

As someone once said, "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing".

But, hey-ho. Leave it for someone else to sort out.

Pathetic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
And then some other unsuspecting students sleepwalk into the same nightmare and the cycle continues.

The lowlifes/bullies get away with their crimes and many more peoples lives are made miserable as a result. The landlord keeps taking rent because he can't be arsed to deal with the problem. The Estate Agents keep taking money off the landlord and carries on making profit whilst doing nothing.

Then people wonder why the crime rate keeps going up, the neighbourhood goes to hell and people move out whilst the squatters and drug addicts move in.

As someone once said, "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing".

But, hey-ho. Leave it for someone else to sort out.

Pathetic.

I really don't apprecaite the pathetic remark tbh.

Lets look at this from a realistic point of view, they have done what they should have done - they spoke to the landlord, they spoke to the police...what else can they do? It's their job to sort this type of thing out, and if they are not doing it ,then that's a flaw in the system.

If you're a student, you have enough to deal with without putting yourself in danger trying to "help the neighbourhood".
They just want to move into the house, get their degree and leave. If perhaps you were living there more long term, or it was your own house or whatever, then maybe crank it up a notch, but seriously - it's not your problem if you leave, why do you have to deal with it when you can avoid the whole situation all together, get your degree in peace, move back home and be done?

They are LIVING with these people. Do you even think it's safe for them to report something like this without getting caught talking to the police or the little book of reports or photos found? It takes one wrong move, and these people will go ape on you.

Lets look at this from a realistic point of view, they have done what they should have done - they spoke to the landlord, they spoke to the police...what else can they do? It's their job to sort this type of thing out, and if they are not doing it ,then that's a flaw in the system.

If you're a student, you have enough to deal with without putting yourself in danger trying to "help the neighbourhood".
They just want to move into the house, get their degree and leave. If perhaps you were living there more long term, or it was your own house or whatever, then maybe crank it up a notch, but seriously - it's not your problem if you leave, why do you have to deal with it when you can avoid the whole situation all together, get your degree in peace, move back home and be done?

They are LIVING with these people. Do you even think it's safe for them to report something like this without getting caught talking to the police or the little book of reports or photos found? It takes one wrong move, and these people will go ape on you.

It is when you have to pay rent and can't find someone to replace you, and can't afford to pay rent for both that house and somewhere new. Now that is realistic.
Reply 9
Original post by SophieSmall
It is when you have to pay rent and can't find someone to replace you, and can't afford to pay rent for both that house and somewhere new. Now that is realistic.

This is our issue, landlord refuses to release me from the contract. Can't afford to move out somewhere new, can't afford to stay here and be in danger.

Last night, we found that one of house mates had their door beaten down, all the plaster has fallen off.
The police are actually finally coming out!!
Hopefully the problem will finally be sorted. Or get worse. :frown:
Original post by SophieSmall

Clearly this has been going on for a while for it to escalate this much, I would have already started looking at other places. With regards to finding an alternative tenant, there should be something in the contract which says that there can be premature termination of contact due to unforeseen circumstances. e.g. fire, crime (in this case) etc . This is the point where you pull out the contract and understand your rights as a tenant.

To be honest, regardless of the money that may be wasted, I would want to leave, with minimal damage possible. Imagine if these housemates start to go violent on OP because they found out that OP grassed to the police - then what? Are you glad you saved your money?! This is the point where I would ask for help from my parents, or to stay with a friend etc. This isn't simply being a good citizen and helping to stop crime - this is the place where you live, where you are supposed to feel safe, where your possessions are....first and foremost, you need to make sure you are safe.
Original post by Anonymous
This is our issue, landlord refuses to release me from the contract. Can't afford to move out somewhere new, can't afford to stay here and be in danger.

Last night, we found that one of house mates had their door beaten down, all the plaster has fallen off.

There should be something in your contract which mentions premature termination of agreement due to extreme circumstances e.g. fire, crime, flooding, volcano etc. Find it, and leave.

This is the difference between the fight or flight human response.

Ultimately it's up to the landlord to fix this problem. But walking away from it means he gets away with doing nothing.

That's how bullies operate.

I fight my corner because there is more than just my own immediate future at stake.

Society is what we make it to be which, to me at least, means all of us taking collective responsibility.

The 'pathetic' was a reference to the attitude not you personally. Apologies if it caused offence - none were intended. I can sometimes be a bit abrasive with things I feel passionate about.
Original post by uberteknik
This is the difference between the fight or flight human response.

Ultimately it's up to the landlord to fix this problem. But walking away from it means he gets away with doing nothing.

That's how bullies operate.

I fight my corner because there is more than just my own immediate future at stake.

Society is what we make it to be which, to me at least, means all of us taking collective responsibility.

The 'pathetic' was a reference to the attitude not you personally. Apologies if it caused offence - none were intended. I can sometimes be a bit abrasive with things I feel passionate about.

I agree it is the fight or flight. Quite frankly I'm all up for a good fight now and again, however when you are dealing with people who are genuinely dangerous and unpredictable, would you really think that's the best idea? They are not bullies, they are criminals.

I agree something needs to be done, however it is NOT their responsibility to do so. The fact that the police have yet to do anything, I'm surprised that you're more annoyed at my attitude towards this and not theirs.

What if the reports to the police go totally unnoticed for a long time, and something SERIOUSLY bad happens in the house. Everyone is sent for questioning, everyone is treated as a criminal, OP probably has a court case on his hands, when quite frankly all he wants is his degree. This is why, before it gets to that situation, whilst he is waiting for the landlord and the police to take him seriously, he needs to leave, and fast.

Collective responsibility is great, and I believe that less bad things would happen in the world if we did all stick together. My advise would be to get out, and then....talk to the police, report it, get them sent away, do your part for the community etc etc. But not when you're still living there.
id beat the **** out of them
Can you speak to someone at Uni about this? no doubt your studies will be affected and they can help you get this reported properly?
Clearly this has been going on for a while for it to escalate this much, I would have already started looking at other places. With regards to finding an alternative tenant, there should be something in the contract which says that there can be premature termination of contact due to unforeseen circumstances. e.g. fire, crime (in this case) etc . This is the point where you pull out the contract and understand your rights as a tenant.

To be honest, regardless of the money that may be wasted, I would want to leave, with minimal damage possible. Imagine if these housemates start to go violent on OP because they found out that OP grassed to the police - then what? Are you glad you saved your money?! This is the point where I would ask for help from my parents, or to stay with a friend etc. This isn't simply being a good citizen and helping to stop crime - this is the place where you live, where you are supposed to feel safe, where your possessions are....first and foremost, you need to make sure you are safe.

OP has said her landlord won't release her from her contract, it depends really on whether or not you will get released from the contract...and if she wants to get released from her contract due to crime...then she does need to go to the police so she can prove that their is crime going on so either way she needs to report them

As for asking your parents for help or staying at a friends, not everyone has that luxury. Some people literally only have the option to stay in the house or end up on the streets (which in of itself isn't safe) because they have nowhere else to go until it is sorted.

Good luck with it I hope you manage to get out of this mess :/
10 bed room house this year.

7 of us are completely fine. Go about our normal student business, other 3 have become house mates from hell - but worse, they don't even follow the law.

Before i carry on, we have reported this to our estate agent who told who to go to the police, when we spoke to police they said go to the estate agent. :mad:

Our house has been dealing drugs, only weed. But it's been bringing the wrong peoples around. Food has started going missing, and money has been robbed from someones purse. The front door is continually left unlocked and random strangers are walking round our hallways. And have occasionally tried to come into our rooms.

A few people reported the weed smoking, and then we got threatened by there mates who come round to buy/smoke with them. So the issue continued with everyone to scared to react.

Recently, our neighbours threw a party, my house mates attended with their friends who buy/smoke off them. After the party 2 grand worth of items were stolen, Including peoples wallets, money and macbook and ipads. Cards from one of the wallets which was stolen was found in our garden. :confused:

Finally, earlier this week, the house mate in question and there friends dragged a guy from another 'gang' into our property, beat him up and then mugged him. Before kicking him out of the house.

This has really become a bit more of a ghetto scene than a happy household of students. And everyone is beginning to suffer and not feel safe in there home. :frown:

Has anyone got any advice of how we can eliminate the criminal activities occuring in our house?

And these thugs are students at a university in the UK? If you feel comfortable in doing so OP, please tell us which university this is happening at.
Holy s***. Feels like something out of a Batman comic book. Now I wish there was a Batman. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending