The Student Room Group

Predicted grades below entry requirements

Hi, I am at the stage of choosing which universities to apply to and I am worried I might waste choices by applying for courses that require higher predicted grades.

My predicted grades are BCC and I want to apply for Electrical & Electronic Engineering with a foundation year at Loughborough (BBB), Birmingham(BBB), Aston(BBB) and Nottingham(BBC). Is it worth applying to these universities instead of applying to universities that have lower requirements without the need to study foundation years?

If anyone has applied to these universities could you please let me know if you got accepted and what your predicted grades are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My predicted grades are AAC and I applied to 2 universities that require AAB for Psychology and I've received conditional offers from both of them. I was skeptical and worried at first but then I just decided that it'd be worth it and see if I can get a place for the heck of it. Just keep in mind that your predicted grades are not some kind of prophecy that will definitely come true because your teachers think so. There's always the chance that you'll do better than you're expected to if you want it enough :smile:

Edit: if it's of any relevance, the 2 unis requiring AAB were Southampton and Kent (Southampton advertises their requirements as AAA-AAB)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lilyghz
My predicted grades are AAC and I applied to 2 universities that require AAB for Psychology and I've received conditional offers from both of them. I was skeptical and worried at first but then I just decided that it'd be worth it and see if I can get a place for the heck of it. Just keep in mind that your predicted grades are not some kind of prophecy that will definitely come true because your teachers think so. There's always the chance that you'll do better than you're expected to if you want it enough :smile:

Edit: if it's of any relevance, the 2 unis requiring AAB were Southampton and Kent (Southampton advertises their requirements as AAA-AAB)

Thank you! Do you think its worth spending an extra year(foundation year) at a better university instead of going to one that does not require you to study a foundation year?
Reply 3
Its worth applying to one or two unis with grades higher than your predicted grades, but also dont use up all your choices with higher grade requirements. Be realistic! If you think you can get higher grades then its worth a shot, you can still get offers!! A foundation year could be worth it - if you want to do one! Or maybe try other things (like an EPQ) which can boost your application, unis dont just care about your grades but also you as a person!! Good luck!
Thanks! The foundation year is for students that didn't study A-level Mathematics so regardless of my results I will have to do it if I want to go to the top universities :frown:
Reply 5
Well my grades were absolutely awful at AS (BCDU) and I got predicted ABC at a2. I applied to Aston who were asking for ABB and they still gave me a conditional so I think there is sill hope for you! I'm not sure why they gave me an offer but I was delighted :smile:. finger crossed for you.
Reply 6
I applied to a few that were asking one grade higher than my predicted but i emailed to universities to get their advise and the all advised to apply.
One said we normally don't consider but as i have good voluntary work experience in that field and have a good PS i could apply.

One other said we always consider applicant with one grade less so dont worry and of course apply.

So be hopeful and apply to a few over your grade requirement as anything can happen.
Thanks! Nearly all of the top universities require BBB and that's 2 grades higher than my predicted so I think I might be wasting my UCAS choices applying to them :frown:
Reply 8
Hey, I got an offer which was two grades higher than my predicted. I'm predicted A*BB and got an offer for A*AA to my surprise, so you could still get an offer! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Okkefac
Hey, I got an offer which was two grades higher than my predicted. I'm predicted A*BB and got an offer for A*AA to my surprise, so you could still get an offer! Good luck :smile:

Thank you, I've emailed Loughborough uni but they haven't replied yet and I need to send off my UCAS tonight/tomorrow morning :/
Reply 10
Hi, i have recently sent my UCAS off and also had grades predicted grades lower than what is needed for the course I want to do. I am predicted BBC, so I applied for 2 universities that require those grades (manchester metropolitan & birmingham city) as well as 3 with entry requirements above my predicted grade ( Keele - ABC/BBB, Aston - ABB, Brunel - AAB) I have got 4 conditional offers for manchester metropolitan, birmingham city, keele & brunel and despite not being accepeted for marketing at Aston, they have offered me other courses similar to what I am studying now at A level that they will consider me for. If I were you I would apply for atleast one that you know you will get into and then apply for some that you want to go, even if they are above your entry requirements because you never know what they'd say. I hope this has helped, good luck!
I applied with predictions of ABB and received AAA course offers, so yes it's possible. Depends on the quality of your personal statement largely. In fact, only one university I applied to had an entry of ABB, yet I received all 5 offers.
Original post by Sharday
Hi, i have recently sent my UCAS off and also had grades predicted grades lower than what is needed for the course I want to do. I am predicted BBC, so I applied for 2 universities that require those grades (manchester metropolitan & birmingham city) as well as 3 with entry requirements above my predicted grade ( Keele - ABC/BBB, Aston - ABB, Brunel - AAB) I have got 4 conditional offers for manchester metropolitan, birmingham city, keele & brunel and despite not being accepeted for marketing at Aston, they have offered me other courses similar to what I am studying now at A level that they will consider me for. If I were you I would apply for atleast one that you know you will get into and then apply for some that you want to go, even if they are above your entry requirements because you never know what they'd say. I hope this has helped, good luck!

Thank you! I spoke to a woman from connexions and she said Electronic Engineering at top unis is really hard to get into as they usually have applicants that have higher grades than the requirements but I might apply to Loughborough anyway. Congratulations on getting your offers!
I am predicted ABC or (320 UCAS points with my awful E AS grade I have) and applied to unis with requirements of
ABB (X2)
320 (UCAS Points)
280 (UCAS points)
260 (UCAS points)

So I think it's important to not aim too high, and defiantly have one or two way below your predicted grades to keep you safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever you do, email them first. You can find out if you have a chance, and it makes you look good in the process You may be surprised; in fact, I sent an email out expecting some variation of 'lolno', and got an informal offer, so it's worth doing!
dont let them get you down. work hard and aim to get as high as you can and then you will be able to go through adjustment even if you dont have offers from the unis you want to go to atm.
Original post by BobertXVI
Whatever you do, email them first. You can find out if you have a chance, and it makes you look good in the process You may be surprised; in fact, I sent an email out expecting some variation of 'lolno', and got an informal offer, so it's worth doing!

Wow that's great! Thank you and congrats on your offer
Original post by neal95
dont let them get you down. work hard and aim to get as high as you can and then you will be able to go through adjustment even if you dont have offers from the unis you want to go to atm.

Yh thats true but I was told that adjustment isnt open for all courses plus accommodation would be hard to sort out after such a late offer :/
Original post by Michael_Scofield
Yh thats true but I was told that adjustment isnt open for all courses plus accommodation would be hard to sort out after such a late offer :/

its true that sometimes adjustment isnt available for all courses but if you get ABB or above than there is an unlimited amount of students universities can choose to recruit for the course so its unlikely they would turn your cash away. many russel groups were in this year. not sure about the accomodation bit but it seems that you may get your first choice i.e en suite and such but who cares as long as you are in halls and have a roof over your head you will be in a better university
You might one to have atleast one or two options that match your predicted grades but I'd go for it. 3 of my uni choices had entry requirements above my predicted grades, two were even by two grades and I still got all 5 offers. Just make sure your personal statement is strong enough to make up for your predicted grades.

I ended up exceeding my offers since my school were quite harsh with predicted grades. I think most universities are aware of the fact that a lot of people end up doing better than their predicted grades so they'll take that into account. I knew loads of people who surpassed their predicted grades.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending