The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Enoxial
Who says Celebrities are the best options?

In this culture they are glorified and placed upon a pedestal of almost god-like status (such as JLaw, Cumberbatch etc). Perhaps that is influencing the minds of the girls as they grow up?
The D carries more weight.
Original post by Arkasia
In this culture they are glorified and placed upon a pedestal of almost god-like status (such as JLaw, Cumberbatch etc). Perhaps that is influencing the minds of the girls as they grow up?

Then isn't that the fault of Disney fairytale princess etc?
Reply 23
Original post by Enoxial
Then isn't that the fault of Disney fairytale princess etc?

That's what I am asking.
I dunno tbh. I find lots of celebs attractive, which I think both men and women do about the same amount. But I only really get 'crushes' or attached when I get to know someone. Seems strange to me when people do become obsessed etc with celebrities. :dontknow:
Reply 25
Hmm interesting question. I think girls will focus on the looks but also get attracted to their crushes personality and what they are like, so they might watch them in interviews, public appearances and that makes it easier for them to imagine them as their dream guy or how they would want their dream guy to be. Whilst( and this is generalising) with guys its primarily looks like they might see a celebrity and be like 'She's fit' or hot but won't think about their personality further.
Original post by Sulpha
Hypergamy

partially, but also I think it is indoctrinated penis envy. To the pre-feminist woman a celebrity crush represented the potential power patriarchy kept at arm's length from the vast majority of women, exceptions being the bourgeoisie etc.

(Of course, this its the primary motivation for hypergamy after protection-provision for offspring.)
(edited 9 years ago)
God, I hate celebrity 'culture'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's more socially acceptable for women to admit to idolising celebrities for some reason.
Original post by sherlockfan
i dont care to be placed in a "category". it's not people on the internet who define who i am.

progress :biggrin:
Original post by Arkasia
I am not saying only girls have them, I know one guy in my class was absolutely in love with Jennifer Lawrence, but girls certainly seem far more easily attached and obsessed with their favourite celebrities than boys. Just look at 'directioners', 'beliebers', 'cumberbitches' and all of the other fanbases which are predominantly female, and even some of the posters on here who border on stalkerish.

My question is this: is there some personality trait more common among girls that means they become more easily and more strongly attached to objects or people, and if yes, what is it?

As a bonus, here is a hilarious youtube video:

Arkasia, my man. I'll bite.

Sexist as it sounds, yes, the answer is likely to be Hypergamy (the pursuit of a male mate with money/social status -> power, esp. that forbidden from the female in patriarchal cultures). Boybands and the cult of male celebrity is simply the latest reaction to this ancient drive. The old trope 'men want to be him, women want to be with him'.

The modern 'princess mentality' is consolidated in traditionalist pop-culture epitomised by Disney fairy-tale relationships. But the enforcement of hypergamy precedes this. In pre-suffrage times, one cannot be blamed for this; hypergamy was a survival instinct.

Contrary to the implications of being put on a pedestal, it's actually terribly misogynist since it implies the greatest success women can have is by associating with an alpha male, rather than being an 'alpha female'. Penis envy at its most transparent! Freud would have a field day.

See for example this honest trailer on The Little Mermaid :tongue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-eyG7lUv8

Interestingly, note TLM occurred around the dawn of third wave feminism…Ironic how misandry is bred from misogyny.

There is obviously a whole truckload of exploitation of insecurities about looks, popularity, personality, non-conformity etc. to achieve conformity to the princess mentality. Get them where it hurts when young and you have a customer for life! Until the Disney Renaissance, Disney consistently portrayed traditional gender roles as the natural order. This however means making women passive, delicate and submissive, patriarchy's definition of 'feminine'. Once again see the trailer. Once again the darker implications of putting women on pedestals is to reject their humanity.

The pursuit of male celebrity is the pursuit of the Disney fairy-tale promised to women, in exchange for their autonomy.

To ensnare them, immature young girls are misled by media to believe that these male celebrities have an idealised personality. Hypergamy already deludes them into believing this via the celebrity's status and wealth. A much quicker way of implying it subconsciously is the halo effect; in our superficial aesthetic-driven culture, looks are a form of power. The wealth of information in feminist lit on 'the male gaze' is related to this, of course, in a subject-object relationship between man and woman. But note also beauty is associated with health and virility, a natural form of power. Therefore, what easier way to associate the celebrity with power than ensure he's good looking? (And as you know, women have this **** done to them all the time throughout history).

Patriarchy makes women objects and men commodities.

However, men are forbidden this idealisation of the celebrity under the terms of the prehistoric social hierarchy, since to admit one idealises another man is to admit emasculation. If one is bested by another male in securing resources and protection, how can one be fed? How can one look after baby? An ultimate blow to Neanderthal man's pride. (And in today's progressive society, a homophobic one).

Not to mention men have traditionally been the disposable sex-see 'women and children first'. Men were the ones to put their lives on the line as hunters while women stayed as nurturers of offspring or gatherers/foragers.

There are exceptions of course, for example (at the most misandrist post of my hypothesis) matriarchal tribes. I believe these possibly realised that females, as the gender giving birth, held more power over males than they realised…but certainly in the West and Asia where society was most constructed on patriarchal foundations, these are few and far between.

Finally on this point in homo sapiens, men traditionally had less desire to pursue it since it was actually an attainable position-unlike women denied rights.

The closest a man can come to idealising the male celebrity is to aspire to be the same level of power-the male power fantasy (also enacted in superheroes).

Needless to say, it's misogyny that prevents some men from idealising celebrity women too!

So you see, Patriarchy ****s Us All :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Arkasia, my man. I'll bite.

Hypergamy (the pursuit of a mate with money/social status -> power). Boybands and the cult of male celebrity is simply the latest reaction to this ancient drive. The old trope 'men want to be him, women want to be with him'.

The modern 'princess mentality' is consolidated in traditionalist pop-culture epitomised by Disney fairy-tale relationships. But the enforcement of hypergamy precedes this. In pre-suffrage times, one cannot be blamed for this; hypergamy was a survival instinct.

It's actually terribly misogynist since it implies the greatest success women can have is by associating with an alpha male, rather than being an 'alpha female'. Penis envy at its most transparent! Freud would have a field day.

See for example this honest trailer on The Little Mermaid :tongue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-eyG7lUv8

Interestingly, note TLM occurred around the dawn of third wave feminism…Ironic how misandry is bred from misogyny.

There is obviously a whole truckload of exploitation of insecurities about looks, popularity, personality, non-conformity etc. to achieve conformity to the princess mentality. Get them where it hurts when young and you have a customer for life! Until the Disney Renaissance, Disney consistently portrayed traditional gender roles as the natural order. This however means making women passive, delicate and submissive, patriarchy's definition of 'feminine'. Once again see the trailer.

The pursuit of male celebrity is the pursuit of the Disney fairy-tale promised to women, in exchange for their autonomy.

Equally, men are forbidden this idealisation of the celebrity under the terms of the prehistoric social hierarchy since to admit one is to admit emasculation. If one is bested by another male in securing resources and protection, how can one be fed? How can one look after baby? An ultimate blow to Neanderthal man's pride.

But men traditionally had less desire to pursue it since it was actually an attainable position-unlike women denied rights.

The closest a man can come to identifying it is to aspire to be the same level of power-the male power fantasy (also enacted in superheroes).

So you see, Patriarchy ****s Us All :tongue:

This is a brilliant answer, +1.
Original post by Arkasia
This is a brilliant answer, +1.

full hypothesis above. Added a little note to explain the idealisation of male celebrity personality; the halo effect :smile: and a bit on male disposability too.

you're welcome.
(edited 9 years ago)
Women are weak minded and will easily succumb to what the Media will tell them. Money for the companies, drug addictions for the celebrities and a lifetime of disappointment once those women realise a guy of that fame and financial position wants to **** a different hot woman every night not some plain Jane with a fat head.
Original post by WeedCanKill
Women are weak minded and will easily succumb to what the Media will tell them. Money for the companies, drug addictions for the celebrities and a lifetime of disappointment once those women realise a guy of that fame and financial position wants to **** a different hot woman every night not some plain Jane with a fat head.

cripes man, your red pill time is showing
cripes man, your red pill time is showing

Are you Riku? Boy how I've missed your posts.
Are you Riku? Boy how I've missed your posts.

I go by many names. But not that one I'm afraid?

Or maybe you're weak minded for readily believing such sweeping generalisations?
progress :biggrin:

:confused:
I go by many names. But not that one I'm afraid?

oh dear :lol:

they know. we all do.

Latest