The Student Room Group

A level choices

Im a fairly aberage student expecting a's and b's at gcse
I was thinking of taking maths stats, chemistry, music and economics for alevel
do you think I would manage these, and do they complement eachother and do unis like these subjects?
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Gfree
do you think I would manage these, and do they complement eachother and do unis like these subjects?

I'm not sure about music as I don't know a lot of people who study it at A-level, but maths, chemistry and economics are quite favourable, I think :smile: Quite an unusual combination though! What are you hoping to apply for at university?
Reply 2
Thank you for the response, I'm unfortunately not sure (it would be easier if I knew:wink:) my aim was to keep my options fairly open as I'm interested in sciences and also possibley banking
Would maths help chemistry and economics?
Reply 3
I don't do chemistry but I think it's quite mathematical. As for economics, there isn't a great deal of maths involved and even when there is maths involved, the calculations are quite straightforward :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lilyghz
I don't do chemistry but I think it's quite mathematical. As for economics, there isn't a great deal of maths involved and even when there is maths involved, the calculations are quite straightforward :smile:

Thankyou !!
Original post by Gfree

From personal experience I'd advise against Music. People will tell you that you need to 'do something fun/relaxing/different' to your other subjects, and that might be true for most people, but at least for me it turned out to be the biggest lie I've ever been told. Music is very hard work and you have to love it to enjoy it. The theory is tortuous and not the slightest bit relaxing, so don't let people who know nothing about the course requirements tell you how easy it is!

Chemistry, on the other hand, is great. I picked it up in place of Music a few weeks ago and am loving it, but lots of people really, REALLY hate it. Maths is good too but I don't know what it's like in a normal sized class as there are literally 3 other people in mine (because it's Further).

How I picked my A levels (besides music which I took because I thought I should - don't fall into that trap) was I thought about which subjects I would choose to do first when I had homework. That ruled out anything involving essays and so I just did Physics, Maths, Further Maths and now Chemistry. I think my method is pretty good for making sure you'll be happy studying for your A levels because workload IS higher than at GCSE (it's definitely achievable though, you just need to be organised) and so you'll be miserable and stressed if you have to do work you hate.

Your subject choices as they stand now complement each other quite well. Ultimately though it depends on whether or not they will get you into the uni course you want. Eg. to do Physics at ANY uni you have to also have Maths, other degree courses want different things. Do lots of research on this, it's probably the most important thing to think about.

Maths and Chemistry are both well regarded by top unis, as is Economics. Not many people do Music and like I said it's really hard to do well (I would probably have come out with a B had I carried on with it, and I'm predicted A/A* in everything else) so there isn't much information available for that, but it is well regarded if you can manage to do well (you will need a wide range of skills though: I would say Grade 5 minimum in at least one instrument, ideally two so you don't have to rely on other people for coursework; a good grasp of music theory, again probably Grade 5 to do well although what you will be taught isn't quite the same; the ability to analyse music and write essays). DO NOT TAKE MUSIC JUST TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK SPECIAL.

Sorry for the length of this but as you can see I had quite a lot to say on this topic...
Reply 6
Original post by raineandfyre
From personal experience I'd advise against Music. People will tell you that you need to 'do something fun/relaxing/different' to your other subjects, and that might be true for most people, but at least for me it turned out to be the biggest lie I've ever been told. Music is very hard work and you have to love it to enjoy it. The theory is tortuous and not the slightest bit relaxing, so don't let people who know nothing about the course requirements tell you how easy it is!

Chemistry, on the other hand, is great. I picked it up in place of Music a few weeks ago and am loving it, but lots of people really, REALLY hate it. Maths is good too but I don't know what it's like in a normal sized class as there are literally 3 other people in mine (because it's Further).

How I picked my A levels (besides music which I took because I thought I should - don't fall into that trap) was I thought about which subjects I would choose to do first when I had homework. That ruled out anything involving essays and so I just did Physics, Maths, Further Maths and now Chemistry. I think my method is pretty good for making sure you'll be happy studying for your A levels because workload IS higher than at GCSE (it's definitely achievable though, you just need to be organised) and so you'll be miserable and stressed if you have to do work you hate.

Your subject choices as they stand now complement each other quite well. Ultimately though it depends on whether or not they will get you into the uni course you want. Eg. to do Physics at ANY uni you have to also have Maths, other degree courses want different things. Do lots of research on this, it's probably the most important thing to think about.

Maths and Chemistry are both well regarded by top unis, as is Economics. Not many people do Music and like I said it's really hard to do well (I would probably have come out with a B had I carried on with it, and I'm predicted A/A* in everything else) so there isn't much information available for that, but it is well regarded if you can manage to do well (you will need a wide range of skills though: I would say Grade 5 minimum in at least one instrument, ideally two so you don't have to rely on other people for coursework; a good grasp of music theory, again probably Grade 5 to do well although what you will be taught isn't quite the same; the ability to analyse music and write essays). DO NOT TAKE MUSIC JUST TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK SPECIAL.

Sorry for the length of this but as you can see I had quite a lot to say on this topic...

That's great, thankyou for the detail!! I love gcse music and am on for an A*, and have just got a merit in grd 5 piano and am doing grd 5 singing too soon, so do u think I would be capable if only doing AS level?
Do these options open up quite afew opportunities at university?? I'm interested in possible psychology or business after school so would these options accommodate? (My schools psychology department is rubbish so I'm not doing this for A level)
Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Gfree
That's great, thankyou for the detail!! I love gcse music and am on for an A*, and have just got a merit in grd 5 piano and am doing grd 5 singing too soon, so do u think I would be capable if only doing AS level?
Do these options open up quite afew opportunities at university?? I'm interested in possible psychology or business after school so would these options accommodate? (My schools psychology department is rubbish so I'm not doing this for A level)
Thankyou :smile:

Unis don't like Psychology a level much anyway. :smile:

Your grades will be fine (I only got an A at GCSE in music, it was supposed to be an A* but my coursework got moderated down). Instrumental stuff isn't really a part of the teaching of the course, you will only do harmony (cadences, chords, etc...) and analysis of some music in lessons but it is tough if you don't enjoy writing out manuscript or doing essays (which I don't). You're just expected to practise outside of lesson time and turn up and do the exam for the instrumental part basically.

Your maths and chemistry are great subjects to take and open up lots of doors uni wise, economics is also very well regarded so if you really want to do the music then go for it, you only really need 3 A levels for the vast majority of things so a 4th A/AS level can be in any subject you want.
Original post by Gfree

I don't know. If you are interest in these subjects and you have the passion to learn enough to manage it, do it. May I ask you what kind of job do you want to do in the future?
I do Chemistry, Maths, Bio, Geography and General Studies at AS currently.
Chemistry is such a great A-level and I'm finding it the easiest of my subjects.
Maths is also alright I guess.

The A-level sciences are changing for the next academic year so can't garuantee you'll enjoy A-level Chem as it is meant to get more difficult :confused:
I highly recommend Economics, it really enriches your understanding of current affairs and uni's love it. I would recommend not doing Music, unless you are extremely gifted musically you may struggle to give the attention to your subjects that they deserve.
Original post by constantino_chr
I would recommend not doing Music, unless you are extremely gifted musically you may struggle to give the attention to your subjects that they deserve.

I second this. When I was doing music I was spending as much time doing work for that one subject as I was for my other 3 put together. I'm not trying to put you off or anything but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
I second this. When I was doing music I was spending as much time doing work for that one subject as I was for my other 3 put together. I'm not trying to put you off or anything but make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

I third this :wink: I got A* for music GCSE, with almost full marks and I'm struggling with A-level music. Also (depending on the board) I think you need to be about grade 7 practical for maximum performance marks. And the theory is really hard...imagine grade 5 theory, but about three times harder...I'm not trying to put you off entirely...just warning you...:cool: But Chemistry is fun :smile:
Original post by eleanorlittle
I third this :wink: I got A* for music GCSE, with almost full marks and I'm struggling with A-level music. Also (depending on the board) I think you need to be about grade 7 practical for maximum performance marks. And the theory is really hard...imagine grade 5 theory, but about three times harder...I'm not trying to put you off entirely...just warning you...:cool: But Chemistry is fun :smile:

So, in conclusion... don't do music A level unless you want to do music at uni. :smile:

But seriously, if you're only choosing music because you're good at it, don't. Just don't.
Reply 14
maths stats, chemistry, music and economics for alevel

I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and Chemistry is the biggest grind out of all of my subjects as it is for many others in my classes, even the head of Chemistry has noted it is "the hardest A-level". But this may just be typical of my school.
My advice would be to drop music (unless you want to study it at degree level or you're a particularly talented musician and love it) and to consider physics as (I speak for my exam boards here) there is a great deal of overlap between maths and physics :smile:
So, in conclusion... don't do music A level unless you want to do music at uni. :smile:

But seriously, if you're only choosing music because you're good at it, don't. Just don't.

I know this thread is about a month old but i feel like i should share my positive view of music...

Im doing A2 music now and i LOVE it. Not all schools do harmony, some do composition. You should find out from your department. Saying that, i really enjoy the harmony side of it. I'd say it's like a mixture of maths and grammar... It has A LOT of rules but you can manipulate them to create a bach chorale. I personally think it's extremely fun. But as i said IF you are doing AQA, there is the option of arranging and free composition. Go and speak to your music department. However, i do agree with the other posts, you must enjoy music to do it at A level. If you do, it will be a hell of a lot easier. If not, it will be a lot of hard work. There is a lot of analysis and memorising of detail. You really have to understand. The biggest mistake to make is taking A level music because you enjoy performance. A levels are academic, therefore it is not just playing all the time. I strongly encourage you to go to your music department and ask them to go over what they do with you and if you have any queries, ask for a sample of the work.

I just felt like a lot of posts on here should very negative views of music and thought i'd put a positive twist on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Factorisation
I know this thread is about a month old but i feel like i should share my positive view of music...

Im doing A2 music now and i LOVE it. Not all schools do harmony, some do composition. You should find out from your department. Saying that, i really enjoy the harmony side of it. I'd say it's like a mixture of maths and grammar... It has A LOT of rules but you can manipulate them to create a bach chorale. I personally think it's extremely fun. But as i said IF you are doing AQA, there is the option of arranging and free composition. Go and speak to your music department. However, i do agree with the other posts, you must enjoy music to do it at A level. If you do, it will be a hell of a lot easier. If not, it will be a lot of hard work. There is a lot of analysis and memorising of detail. You really have to understand. The biggest mistake to make is taking A level music because you enjoy performance. A levels are academic, therefore it is not just playing all the time. I strongly encourage you to go to your music department and ask them to go over what they do with you and if you have any queries, ask for a sample of the work.

I just felt like a lot of posts on here should very negative views of music and thought i'd put a positive twist on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile: I'm not so sure about harmony being like maths though, maths is so much more interesting (in my opinion)...

Really though, if at all possible you should love every subject you take. It makes your life so much easier when you're trying to find motivation to work, because it's not really working if you're having fun :smile:
Fair enough :smile: I'm not so sure about harmony being like maths though, maths is so much more interesting (in my opinion)...

Really though, if at all possible you should love every subject you take. It makes your life so much easier when you're trying to find motivation to work, because it's not really working if you're having fun :smile:

I 100% agree! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Gfree

My friend takes music, and he says it's quite heavy work yet university doesn't give much credit to it. So unless you want to study music at higher level I wouldn't pick it and keep it as your hobby.

Maths and chemistry complement each other well, and so do economics and maths. I'd take up biology or physics depending on what sort of science you're interested in: biological or physical.

Quick Reply

Latest