The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fideo
I deserved a 'dbi' for that post I think

i'm not a poor enough poster to have to resort to dbi.

inb4 dbi
Reply 9341
Original post by Lúcio
i'm not a poor enough poster to have to resort to dbi.

inb4 dbi

dfbi
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Spoiler

Psych is your calling Lucio

oops, only just seen this:rolleyes:

soz bbz; if only you had known me before you took your exams! :wink:

also it's Lúcio, please get it right <3
Really want to see Atletico lift the C.L. in the next few years, they are my hipster second team lol.

Such absolute raw emotion and passion from their fans. To experience that, to topple Barca and Real as underdogs, even just for one season, must have been unreal. I love the way they play football.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford
Really want to see Atletico lift the C.L. in the next few years, they are my hipster second team lol.

Such absolute raw emotion and passion from their fans. To experience that, to topple Barca and Real as underdogs, even just for one season, must have been unreal.

Should make a movie tbh. Gerard Butler can grow back the beard from 300 and play Turan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Should make a movie tbh. Gerard Butler can grow back the beard from 300 and play Turan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Godfather mate. Simeone is the Don and his players are his thugs. Oppositions would lose on purpose to avoid sleeping with the fishes the next morning.

"Mandz, take the gun, leave the cannoli"
(Diego Costa's body is slumped forward onto the steering wheel and Simeone walks calmly after with cannoli in hand. Mandzukic just nods in agreement) *Exit scene*.
**** that Atlético thing gave me goosebumps when they kicked the ball and the final whistle came.
Original post by jam277
**** that Atlético thing gave me goosebumps when they kicked the ball and the final whistle came.

The video?

Edit: Yeah, can't imagine how it feels to be an underdog like that and win the title after years against teams who laugh at you as being the little club.
(edited 9 years ago)
The video?

Yeah the video.

I was talking about when Godin scored and the final whistle came after the Atlético player booted the ball. **** that was amazing to see. It's a shame I didn't see that game live but that has got to be the best end to a season in history.
Original post by jam277
Yeah the video.

I was talking about when Godin scored and the final whistle came after the Atlético player booted the ball. **** that was amazing to see. It's a shame I didn't see that game live but that has got to be the best end to a season in history.

It was just an amazing show of passion from the Atletico fans, it was a real force of nature. All of the colours, the atmosphere. "Defend our colours" on banners. I suppose the Man City title win reactions from the fans could be interpreted as similarly euphoric. However, this is somewhat different in that they won in a very financially constricted way, they won the title in a very proud way. This felt complete, even as a neutral.
Original post by Fizzel

You previous user was Mr Vain tbf. Probably not a bad thing tbh. I certainly think being arrogant is very beneficial in life.

I agree. Realised when I was younger and arrogant I was doing better. Guy basically turned me down for a high paying job because he felt I was too nice and needed to be more ruthless as it was a sales role. Guy was right because arrogance is linked to confidence.

I'm not sure its human values its just the last few years social landscape has changed massively. The core reasons for marriage historically, for the most part, aren't relevant to modern western society.

Agree.

I was listening to a podcast in summer, by Dan Carlin I think (his hardcore history wrath of the khans series is so so good btw free on itunes, cool voice too) but he pointed out pretty much from 4000BC (domestication of the horse) until 1886 the fastest way for a human to travel between two points was a horse. Nearly 6000 years, and basically no progress. You couldn't get from one city to the next much faster in 4000BC than you could in 1850AD. Then the car is invented in 1886. Progress from there is just unreal. By 1969 we're putting men on the moon. After nearly 6000 year of **** all progress, it takes 100 years from horses to, cars everywhere, commercial flight and space travel. What was just standard for millennia becomes irrelevant, relatively speaking in an moment.

Kind of random connection but I think it just illustrated how much the world has actually changed in relatively recent times. Socially the same thing is happening, some of the stuff that we've used and been accustomed to being how things work, just aren't relevant at all. They worked because the world was a certain way for a very long period of time, and its no longer that way.

I agree. I was going to mention this before but my computer froze.

I'd say the harnessing of electricity has lead to such advanced technological improvements over the past century. We see that the car's invention(thank you karl benz) shortly lead to flight in the space of 20 years and it went on from there. Interesting thing I saw the other day, firstly the first video recording ever made in 1888

Quite remarkable the progress of technology since then but what's even more intriguing is that every single person who is in that video is currently dead. There's other things like how they recorded the building of bridges and construction safety was nowhere near as good, columbia bridge that crosses the colombia river was made in 1920 and they basically had one guy on a boat who had to be a hero if anybody fell down during the construction of the bridge (nobody did).

Not many portrait paintings are available of the middle ages and while portraits were supposedly painted of the chinese dynasty from 1000BC supposedly 1000AD is the earliest recovered painting so far. I'm also interested in the time and year scale of people BC. Must be fun being an archeologist and figuring this stuff out.

The moon thing is interesting you'd think that with the progress we've made so far and us being able to land people on the moon and having many astronauts go to and from space we'd find a way to allow for travelling to other planets. Reckon humans will try and colonise the planet if there are other lifeforms there. I doubt it'll happen this lifetime unfortunately, too many parameters for it to happen and too costly at this moment in time. I do see life like robots with artificial intelligence coming to play at some point in my life though.
(edited 9 years ago)
And to think this life and all it's wonders and creation just all came from a giant explosion. Absolutely amazing when you think about it.
Personally, I think we are closer to the edge than we would think.
Personally, I think we are closer to the edge than we would think.

What you mean?
It was just an amazing show of passion from the Atletico fans, it was a real force of nature. All of the colours, the atmosphere. "Defend our colours" on banners. I suppose the Man City title win reactions from the fans could be interpreted as similarly euphoric. However, this is somewhat different in that they won in a very financially constricted way, they won the title in a very proud way. This felt complete, even as a neutral.

Yeah wholeheartedly agree.

Man City's title win with the best squad and managing to nearly bottle their title win to QPR of all teams isn't amazing. They had the strongest squad by a distance.
Original post by jam277
What you mean?

Not absolute destruction of the human race because that is an overestimation for the foreseeable future.
But, I see pandemics becoming a lot more of a thing in the future. Obviously, global warming also. We have an overwhelming ability to advance and survive. However, we also have the overwhelming ability to **** ourselves over. Don't think humans will be the ones to deal the biggest blows though in the future, I think nature is the cruelest of all.
Original post by jam277
And to think this life and all it's wonders and creation just all came from a giant explosion. Absolutely amazing when you think about it.

The ultimate mind**** is the universe is still expanding. But what is it expanding into? :holmes:
Not absolute destruction of the human race because that is an overestimation for the foreseeable future.
But, I see pandemics becoming a lot more of a thing in the future. Obviously, global warming also. We have an overwhelming ability to advance and survive. However, we also have the overwhelming ability to **** ourselves over. Don't think humans will be the ones to deal the biggest blows though in the future, I think nature is the cruelest of all.

I disagree on pandemics, I think that depends on whether people are willing to use biological warfare though.

This may be arrogant of me but I believe that the human race is the best race of all and that we have dominion over non humans. I wouldn't be averse to colonising another planet and stripping it of it's resources. Guess I'm no different from the United States of America then!
Original post by jam277
I disagree on pandemics, I think that depends on whether people are willing to use biological warfare though.

This may be arrogant of me but I believe that the human race is the best race of all and that we have dominion over non humans. I wouldn't be averse to colonising another planet and stripping it of it's resources. Guess I'm no different from the United States of America then!

I would not bet against it. Not in the western world, but in certain areas of the globe I would not be sure. And then the chances of that spreading are perfectly possible.

Pandemics in general, I think it is just as equally likely to become a lot more serious in the western world in the future as it is to be non-threatening. Depends how strains evolve.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest