The Student Room Group

Graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job?

Anyone graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job? Is anyone in this position, out of curiosity?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job? Is anyone in this position, out of curiosity?

Graduating from an RG isn't the magic key to a job that most here seem to think it is.

You are definitely not alone on this one.
Graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job? Is anyone in this position, out of curiosity?

Theres more to getting a job then simply having a degree......even if you got to a RG group.
The degree is simply the first hurdle of meeting the entry requirements.

Do you have anything besides the degree.........work experience, internships, volunteerings, etc
A well thought out CV, being able to do tests which graduate schemes give you, etc
Reply 3
Depends if you have a degree in Engineering or Viking Studies really
What did you do and where?

If I may ask, what does your degree specialize in and which class is it?
It isn't me that needs the advice, as I have worked for several years. But I wanted the view of others who have recently graduated. I am looking at changing industries soon.
1. Find a market you want to work in
2. Put together a solid business plan
3. Go to the banks and ask for a business loan
4. Set up your own business

Why do people routinely insist on slaving away for others to get rich? It's as if the young today in this country have no desire to go out and make things happen themselves. If you badly want something, stop making excuses and go and make it happen.
Reply 8
Wait... aren't you supposedly on a post-graduate course at UCL?Where have you been working for "several years"?
Original post by *Stefan*
Wait... aren't you supposedly on a post-graduate course at UCL?Where have you been working for "several years"?

Stalker:eek:
Original post by Fidus Achates
1. Find a market you want to work in
2. Put together a solid business plan
3. Go to the banks and ask for a business loan
4. Set up your own business

Why do people routinely insist on slaving away for others to get rich? It's as if the young today in this country have no desire to go out and make things happen themselves. If you badly want something, stop making excuses and go and make it happen.

Have you done this?
Have you done this?

Once I've done it and set up a successful business. This time around I went to the banks and I've chosen to raise my own capital as opposed to take their loans on offer. I'll be starting my next business around this time next year. I have no desire whatsoever to work my backside off for someone else to get rich and live a cosy life.
Even with experience, you are still not guaranteed a job. Many companies take people they know e.g. contacts friend's son
Once I've done it and set up a successful business. This time around I went to the banks and I've chosen to raise my own capital as opposed to take their loans on offer. I'll be starting my next business around this time next year. I have no desire whatsoever to work my backside off for someone else to get rich and live a cosy life.

What line of business is this?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Even with experience, you are still not guaranteed a job. Many companies take people they know e.g. contacts friend's son

Certainly true in politics.
What line of business is this?

Previous business was in the construction industry. My next business will be in the software industry.
Russell Group doesn't mean anything.

Number 1, Is it Oxbridge, LSE or QMUL, Liverpool?

Number 2, what career are you looking to enter?

Number 3, why should someone hire you?
Previous business was in the construction industry. My next business will be in the software industry.

Don't you have to form a company before a bank will consider a loan? How much does this cost?
Don't you have to form a company before a bank will consider a loan?

You will find the answers to most of your questions on here in more depth than I can put out on here.

http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk

How much does this cost?

This is going to entirely depend on the type of business you want to set up. What areas are you passionate about? Lets try and think up some ideas here and now. I'm more than willing to help.
Anyone graduated from a Russell Group university and still can't get a job? Is anyone in this position, out of curiosity?

What's your subject?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending