The Student Room Group

Work experience for a 16 year old

So this subject has probably already been posted in this forum, but, if I'm honest I can't be bothered to look through.
My question is; is there any investment banking work experience to be had after GCSEs as I want to see what the work life balance is and we have to do work experience at the end of the year anyway, and I figured that doing it in something that I am interested in and could do as a career would be a smart move.
Another quick question is how long people usually work in investment banking for, you hear that people can retire at the age of 30, but how true is this. I was wondering because working 80 hours a week for more than a few years could drive anyone to the edge.
Any replies are much appreciated
Thanks
Jake
Reply 1
I think it'd be hard finding work experience related to IB considering you haven't even done your GCSEs I know JP Morgan offers a 1 week placement (http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers/europe/schools/workexperience_bournemouth#Eligibility) . If you have a quick google search of "pre-internships" then you can take a look at some of the stuff the top investment banks offer to years 12 and 13 students and if you look harder than I did I think you could find something for you too.
I'd say that the most important thing that you can do is try as hard as you can for your GCSEs (if you can get top-grades you will be filled with regret if you're too lazy to), take any opportunities that are offered and keep being proactive as you are now.
I understand it's not the answer you were looking for but I hope I helped out a little!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Asurat
I think it'd be hard finding work experience related to IB considering you haven't even done your GCSEs I know JP Morgan offers a 1 week placement (http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers/europe/schools/workexperience_bournemouth#Eligibility) . If you have a quick google search of "pre-internships" then you can take a look at some of the stuff the top investment banks offer to years 12 and 13 students and if you look harder than I did I think you could find something for you too.
I'd say that the most important thing that you can do is try as hard as you can for your GCSEs (if you can get top-grades you will be filled with regret if you're too lazy to), take any opportunities that are offered and keep being proactive as you are now.
I understand it's not the answer you were looking for but I hope I helped out a little!

thank you, that programme looks great, the only issue is that it is in Bournemouth. I have fund something that is a day in the life of an investment banker designed for students my age and this looks good as it is near where I live and it also helps me network.
Thanks for the help
Jake
Reply 3
Original post by jakepds
thank you, that programme looks great, the only issue is that it is in Bournemouth. I have fund something that is a day in the life of an investment banker designed for students my age and this looks good as it is near where I live and it also helps me network.
Thanks for the help
Jake

No problem! Also keep a look out for more work experience as time goes by as the more the merrier!
Reply 4
Original post by Asurat
No problem! Also keep a look out for more work experience as time goes by as the more the merrier!

yes from my research it seems that there are more work experience placements the older you get, so there is still hope!!
Reply 5
Original post by jakepds
Thanks for the help
Jake

What programme is the day in the life of an investment banker?
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by jakepds
So this subject has probably already been posted in this forum, but, if I'm honest I can't be bothered to look through.
My question is; is there any investment banking work experience to be had after GCSEs as I want to see what the work life balance is and we have to do work experience at the end of the year anyway, and I figured that doing it in something that I am interested in and could do as a career would be a smart move.
Another quick question is how long people usually work in investment banking for, you hear that people can retire at the age of 30, but how true is this. I was wondering because working 80 hours a week for more than a few years could drive anyone to the edge.
Any replies are much appreciated
Thanks
Jake

I worked at Barclays last summer through SEO Scholars. I think applications have closed for this year but you could check them out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jakepds

Thanks, I have already been on this programme. It is really good but quite an intense day as tries to cover all aspects of banking. In terms of networking there are only five people there so not that many but otherwise very good.
Reply 9
Original post by popan006
Thanks, I have already been on this programme. It is really good but quite an intense day as tries to cover all aspects of banking. In terms of networking there are only five people there so not that many but otherwise very good.

thank for the help, the only downside is that it is £80!!
Original post by jakepds
thank for the help, the only downside is that it is £80!!

Yep, I paid £99 for it as didn't go through school and most of the people that went when I was there couldn't be bothered to be there and people on my team went home after lunch. As they weren't even interested in investment banking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending