The Student Room Group

If you found a lost wallet- how much money would need to be in it before you keep it?

Poll

How much money would there need to be before you keep it?

Given that there were ID cards in the wallet and you knew the address that was provided.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lent6
Given that there were ID cards in the wallet and you knew the address that was provided.

I'd give it back no matter how much was in it. I'd like to hope someone would do that for me. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I'd give it back no matter how much was in it. I'd like to hope someone would do that for me. :smile:

Very few people would especially if there was a lot of money in it.
Reverse for me. I'd feel more compelled to return the wallet if there was more money.
Original post by keromedic
Reverse for me. I'd feel more compelled to return the wallet if there was more money.

this, if there is £20,000+ nobody in there right mind is going to keep that much, but £10 is much more likely to be kept.

Honestly though if it had ID in it I would hand it back and that stuff costs a fortune to replace!
Original post by Balloon Baboon

Bless your soul. I recently lost my wallet containing about 125 pounds at the cinemas, and the cleaner there was honest enough to give it to the lost and found. It really renewed my faith in humanity that day.
Reply 6
hypothetically you can keep the money then return the wallet they aren't mutually exclusive....
that's what a cab driver did to me
Although I'd hand it in anyway, I'd expect that a greater amount of money in the wallet would actually make people more likely to return it. Whilst the perceived personal gain from keeping it would increase, so would the perceived loss to the previous owner, and I think the latter would produce enough sympathy or guilt to prompt handing it in for most people.

With a smaller amount of money one may fine it easier to keep the money, given that it's apparently a "marginal" or "negligible" cost to the previous owner, although depending on their financial situation this may be presumptuous.
I'd post the wallet through their letterbox, but keep the money
Reply 9
I'd hand it back if it wasn't too far, or hand it in.

I'd be more likely to keep the money, if it were a small amount, if it wasn't in a wallet. Two reasons; the wallet gives a greater impression that it belongs to someone else, and to take money out of it requires opening the wallet and looking.

Why do people think it's acceptable to take money that doesn't belong to them?
I'd give it back/hand it in regardless, because I'm not a thief.
Reply 11

Same.
It's not mine to keep so I'd hand it in regardless of how much money was in it. It's a shame to see not everyone thinks the same way.
I wouldn't take any money from the wallet. It's not mine and I have no right to take their money without their permission.

If they really wanted to give me money for finding their wallet, then by all means that is fine with me, but I would not take any of it just because I think I deserve it.
The more money that's in it, the more likely the person is to reward you for returning it. No hassle, and you're probably 80% likely to receive some form of reward for it.

I was going to say this, although I'd probably send it back however little money was in it given there's ID in there. No-one likes to lose ID.
I wouldn't take any money at all, regardless of how much was in it. That is theft! I would return the wallet or hand it in to the police.

I recently found £5 on the floor outside a shop and went in to hand it in, but the staff told me to keep it. Even that made me feel uneasy!
I would hand it in, because I have empathy. How would I feel if I lost my wallet with possibly my life savings in it? And all my important cards, perhaps an irreplaceable photo? We have enough heartless disgusting people in the world.
None. If I kept it and then was caught, I would look like a right turd.
Reply 19
Original post by AbdulKoyes
I'd post the wallet through their letterbox, but keep the money

That's haram.:gasp:

Allah is watching you.:security:

Quick Reply

Latest