The Student Room Group

Re-training as a nurse

Hi! I need some help / advice off anyone who is considering going to university as a mature student (or returning as I am).

I'm in my final year of Hispanic Studies, which I have loved, but there is no career related to my course which I want to do. Originally at college I really, really wanted to be a midwife but I was too young and lacking both experience and confidence so I just went for the subject I was best at instead.

Now I'm considering re-training within a couple of years of graduating and doing either a nursing or a midwifery course, but I have a couple of questions:

- Would it be better to retake my A-level in Biology (I got a D once I'd given up on doing midwifery) or to do an access to Higher Education course?

- I know these courses are NHS funded but in terms of living how can I support myself as a mature student? I no longer have access to a student loan of course.

If you can answer either of these or give me any of your own experience related to being a mature student I'd be SO grateful!! Thank you!!!

xxx
Original post by abc:)
Hi! I need some help / advice off anyone who is considering going to university as a mature student (or returning as I am).

I'm in my final year of Hispanic Studies, which I have loved, but there is no career related to my course which I want to do. Originally at college I really, really wanted to be a midwife but I was too young and lacking both experience and confidence so I just went for the subject I was best at instead.

Now I'm considering re-training within a couple of years of graduating and doing either a nursing or a midwifery course, but I have a couple of questions:

- Would it be better to retake my A-level in Biology (I got a D once I'd given up on doing midwifery) or to do an access to Higher Education course?

- I know these courses are NHS funded but in terms of living how can I support myself as a mature student? I no longer have access to a student loan of course.

If you can answer either of these or give me any of your own experience related to being a mature student I'd be SO grateful!! Thank you!!!

xxx

What are course reqs for nursing? As a mature student, do you still need the A level biology? In the case of graduate medicine, you don't need A levels in some courses.
Finance - your savings? Part time job?

xxx

You won't have any need to retake your Biology A Level so long as your other course grades meet the requirements. A science subject is only 'preferred' at most universities. I got an E for AS Level Biology (Due to factors completely out of my control), but I had other courses which made up the grade requirements.

Access Courses are well thought of by HEIs however, already having a degree I would doubt this kind of course would be necessary. Make sure you have other clinical/voluntary experience.

As for finances, many student midwives/nurses work as Bank Healthcare Assistants or Maternity Care Assistants. This is not technically endorsed by universities, as it is considered a full time course, however plenty of students could not financially survive without this work. It's also good clinical experience when you're in blocks of theory at university and some places you have worked may offer you a job as a newly qualified if they like you :smile:

Hope that helps you!
Reply 3
Original post by hellodave5
What are course reqs for nursing? As a mature student, do you still need the A level biology? In the case of graduate medicine, you don't need A levels in some courses.
Finance - your savings? Part time job?

Original post by PaediatricStN
You won't have any need to retake your Biology A Level so long as your other course grades meet the requirements. A science subject is only 'preferred' at most universities. I got an E for AS Level Biology (Due to factors completely out of my control), but I had other courses which made up the grade requirements.

Access Courses are well thought of by HEIs however, already having a degree I would doubt this kind of course would be necessary. Make sure you have other clinical/voluntary experience.

As for finances, many student midwives/nurses work as Bank Healthcare Assistants or Maternity Care Assistants. This is not technically endorsed by universities, as it is considered a full time course, however plenty of students could not financially survive without this work. It's also good clinical experience when you're in blocks of theory at university and some places you have worked may offer you a job as a newly qualified if they like you :smile:

Hope that helps you!

Thank you both, perhaps I'll work for a year and save some money as well as working part time alongside the course. I may be wrong here but I thought most courses required a B in a science related subject? D in Biology was my only science related subject aside from AS Psychology so I'm sure I would have to either retake it or do an access course, especially as my degree wasn't science related either.

Also would an access course potentially provide experience within a medical setting, I'm sure I've seen some which are work based. I guess this would help me to get HCA work to support myself if this is the case.
Thank you both, perhaps I'll work for a year and save some money as well as working part time alongside the course. I may be wrong here but I thought most courses required a B in a science related subject? D in Biology was my only science related subject aside from AS Psychology so I'm sure I would have to either retake it or do an access course, especially as my degree wasn't science related either.

Also would an access course potentially provide experience within a medical setting, I'm sure I've seen some which are work based. I guess this would help me to get HCA work to support myself if this is the case.

You may find admissions rather difficult if you have no experience or qualifications in the area, I assume.
Do you have any at all? If not, there is always the open university, and widely available health and social care jobs.
Seems there are graduate entry schemes around though: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/nursing/graduate-entry-nursing-adult.aspx
I know these courses are NHS funded but in terms of living how can I support myself as a mature student? I no longer have access to a student loan of course.

You will still have access to a reduced student loan of £2324 a year, despite already having a degree, plus an NHS bursary. This is the case for all nursing students.
Original post by Salchow
You will still have access to a reduced student loan of £2324 a year, despite already having a degree, plus an NHS bursary. This is the case for all nursing students.

This isn't the case for all nursing students at all.
Op, I suggest you get in contact with the universities you want to apply to and ask them if your current qualifications are enough to get onto the nursing course for which you want to apply.
an access course is usually only needed for those who don't have recent study or poor grades.
Like someone has mentioned above, not all universities require a certain grade in a science based subject as the science is covered again on the course. Your best route is to contact the universities so you can see what you need to do to get onto the course.
As for finance, where are you ordinarily resident and where are you planning on attending university? This will dictate what finances you may be entitled to.
NHS does give you a bursary, this can be a fixed rate or income assessed depending on your location. This is the same for student loans. People in England get the reduced maintainance loan, however those in some other parts of the UK do not.
It's best to contact your student loan company depending on where you reside and contact the universities. There you will get a more definitive answer. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
This isn't the case for all nursing students at all.
Op, I suggest you get in contact with the universities you want to apply to and ask them if your current qualifications are enough to get onto the nursing course for which you want to apply.
an access course is usually only needed for those who don't have recent study or poor grades.
Like someone has mentioned above, not all universities require a certain grade in a science based subject as the science is covered again on the course. Your best route is to contact the universities so you can see what you need to do to get onto the course.
As for finance, where are you ordinarily resident and where are you planning on attending university? This will dictate what finances you may be entitled to.
NHS does give you a bursary, this can be a fixed rate or income assessed depending on your location. This is the same for student loans. People in England get the reduced maintainance loan, however those in some other parts of the UK do not.
It's best to contact your student loan company depending on where you reside and contact the universities. There you will get a more definitive answer. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad! You learn something new... :wink:
Reply 8

xxx

It depends which route you want to go down and where you want to study. Some universities might consider your degree as evidence that you have the aptitude to handle the crossover to nursing but others might not, especially if you go for the postgraduate route (i.e. they might only consider people with a biomedical background or a lot of experience).

I would see if you can find any part-time access courses at a nearby college where you could study human biology as a single module. That would show your determination to pursue the career and give you a solid grounding for the anatomy and physiology you will cover.

I am a mature student with a family and I gave up a job to start studying speech and language therapy. I actually feel financially better off now which probably reflects how crappy my wage was and how my unique set of circumstances mean I benefit from the current funding regime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending