The Student Room Group

Marine Biology

Hi there! I am an italian girl and my dream is to study in Scotland.. I am applying for Marine Biology at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Stirling and Edinburgh Napier. Someone else like me applied at the same universities and has already received some offerts? I sent my application 8 days ago and I received only 4 acknowledgements... :confused:
It's not uncommon to wait a few months for offers, my first took two weeks to come through. Give it time.
Reply 2
Yes, it is true..But the wait is terrible! I Hope to have news soon.
Original post by Paollla
Yes, it is true..But the wait is terrible! I Hope to have news soon.

Good luck! I finally got my last offer about two weeks ago, and I applied in early October. The wait sucks, but it'll be over soon!
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
Good luck! I finally got my last offer about two weeks ago, and I applied in early October. The wait sucks, but it'll be over soon!

Congratulations! What have you applied for? Have you already decided which offer will you accept?
Original post by Paollla
Congratulations! What have you applied for? Have you already decided which offer will you accept?

Thank you! I applied for a mixture of Biology and Genetics. I'm reasonably sure I'm going to firm Genetics at Queen Mary. University of London.
Reply 6
Yeahhh! I have just received a conditional offer from Glasgow!! I can't believe:eek:
Original post by Paollla
Hi there! I am an italian girl and my dream is to study in Scotland.. I am applying for Marine Biology at Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Stirling and Edinburgh Napier. Someone else like me applied at the same universities and has already received some offerts? I sent my application 8 days ago and I received only 4 acknowledgements... :confused:

The universities have all been shut since 21st December and only reopened yesterday so you wouldn't have received any offers yet. I shouldn't think you'll hear for another week or so, at least. So don't worry, be patient!
Original post by Paollla
Yeahhh! I have just received a conditional offer from Glasgow!! I can't believe:eek:

Congratulations. I'm also hoping to do marine biology, but have chosen exeter. I'm a southerner and just can't face the Scottish weather, especially for field trips - brrrrr
I applied a month ago to exactly the same universities for marine biology! Until now I have already received an unconditional offer from Glasgow! Edinburgh Napier, had gotten back to me about fees. At the moment the status is 1 offer, 4 still waiting...

I have a question! My first choice was actually Glasgow, because it is in the Russell Group, high employment rate, high ranking for biosciences, larger city, and cheaper living cost than St. Andrews. I'm curious what your choice is. :3
Reply 10
Original post by louisewestlake
Congratulations. I'm also hoping to do marine biology, but have chosen exeter. I'm a southerner and just can't face the Scolttish weather, especially for field trips - brrrrr

Ahahahah I am from southern Italy so you can imagine how different the weather is here!
Reply 11
Original post by majatheaztec
I applied a month ago to exactly the same universities for marine biology! Until now I have already received an unconditional offer from Glasgow! Edinburgh Napier, had gotten back to me about fees. At the moment the status is 1 offer, 4 still waiting...

I have a question! My first choice was actually Glasgow, because it is in the Russell Group, high employment rate, high ranking for biosciences, larger city, and cheaper living cost than St. Andrews. I'm curious what your choice is. :3

Hey it is fantastic! Finally I found someone who made my same choices! I am in your same situation: only an offer from Glasgow (unfortunately it is conditional)... and like you my first choice is actually Glasgow but I am a little worried because I have to reach 95 at the final examination and I am not sure about this 😓
Original post by Paollla
Hey it is fantastic! Finally I found someone who made my same choices! I am in your same situation: only an offer from Glasgow (unfortunately it is conditional)... and like you my first choice is actually Glasgow but I am a little worried because I have to reach 95 at the final examination and I am not sure about this ������

Also really glad I found someone with the same choices applying for the same course and first choice ^_^

It is all not over yet, so you can still get that grade for your final exam! Good luck. I hope to see you in Glasgow :smile:
Reply 13
Also really glad I found someone with the same choices applying for the same course and first choice ^_^

It is all not over yet, so you can still get that grade for your final exam! Good luck. I hope to see you in Glasgow :smile:

Thanks for the support, I really need! I will do everything possible to achieve that grade.. I hope to see you in Glasgow, yes!! Also because I don't know which unis to choose alternatively 😓
Original post by Paollla
Thanks for the support, I really need! I will do everything possible to achieve that grade.. I hope to see you in Glasgow, yes!! Also because I don't know which unis to choose alternatively ������

In order to determine the choices I used whatuni.com... Glasgow used to be on there, but for some reason it had disappeared :/ hmm... as far as ranking and employment rate Glasgow was first, but otherwise I would aim for Aberdeen and St. Andrews. In the end, though, I think all of the Unis are really good :redface:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/marine-biology-degree-courses-scotland/m/scotland/crh/19583/page.html
Reply 15
In order to determine the choices I used whatuni.com... Glasgow used to be on there, but for some reason it had disappeared :/ hmm... as far as ranking and employment rate Glasgow was first, but otherwise I would aim for Aberdeen and St. Andrews. In the end, though, I think all of the Unis are really good :redface:

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/marine-biology-degree-courses-scotland/m/scotland/crh/19583/page.html

Thank you for the help, this site is very useful.. I really like the university of Aberdeen but it is situated so far... I need a place well connected in transport terms, like Glasgow or Edinburgh (I lived there for a month, it is beautiful!) but the Napier uni seems boring :s-smilie:
Can I ask you a question? How did you get an unconditional offer? Gap year? :smile:
Also I have to do an English exam, so I would like to be in your shoes without problems and with an assured place :redface:
Original post by Paollla
Thank you for the help, this site is very useful.. I really like the university of Aberdeen but it is situated so far... I need a place well connected in transport terms, like Glasgow or Edinburgh (I lived there for a month, it is beautiful!) but the Napier uni seems boring :s-smilie:
Can I ask you a question? How did you get an unconditional offer? Gap year? :smile:
Also I have to do an English exam, so I would like to be in your shoes without problems and with an assured place :redface:

No worries I'm glad I can help! Yes, I think location and atmosphere is really important when choosing unis! You definitely want to feel comfortable there.

Oh, and I only heard good things about Glasgow and Edinburgh. I definitely want to travel around there. :smile:

Well, I graduated in December 2014 with an Australian ACT certificate, so when I got the conditional offer, I was already able to send in all my grades. They checked it right away, and it was good enough for an unconditional offer. Their conditions were "Overall average grade no lower than 70% or B, including Chemistry and Biology".

When do you have get your results?
Reply 17
No worries I'm glad I can help! Yes, I think location and atmosphere is really important when choosing unis! You definitely want to feel comfortable there.

Oh, and I only heard good things about Glasgow and Edinburgh. I definitely want to travel around there. :smile:

Well, I graduated in December 2014 with an Australian ACT certificate, so when I got the conditional offer, I was already able to send in all my grades. They checked it right away, and it was good enough for an unconditional offer. Their conditions were "Overall average grade no lower than 70% or B, including Chemistry and Biology".

When do you have get your results?

Good!! Are you australian?
I will have my results in july, I have to wait for a long time..Very stressful ahahah
Original post by Paollla
Good!! Are you australian?
I will have my results in july, I have to wait for a long time..Very stressful ahahah

Ahaa well I have German citizenship. My dad is German, but my mom is Ethnic Chinese Indonesian. I have lived in 5 different countries :colondollar: So its a long story :redface:

Just a few more months! I hate the waiting game too, but at least you have already finished with applications!
Reply 19
Ahaa well I have German citizenship. My dad is German, but my mom is Ethnic Chinese Indonesian. I have lived in 5 different countries :colondollar: So its a long story :redface:

Just a few more months! I hate the waiting game too, but at least you have already finished with applications!

Ahahahah and now you want to study in Scotland! Wonderful family 😊
Unfortunately in my family we are only italians and I visited only two countries but in the future I would like to see all the world!!😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending