The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is £3600 a lot when you're fronting on insurance? I'd say not. It is highly unlikely that your dad is genuinely going to be the main driver on a 1 litre Polo. It'll look even less likely if dad has another car.

85k a year mileage also isn't helping your case at all. (I presume that's what you meant, as insurance want to know how many miles you'll do in a year, not how many miles the car has already done). If you genuinely expect to travel 85k a year (that's 232 miles a day, every day, for a year) then I take my hat off to you.

Also, the main factor for insurance these days is the area in which you live. You might well find that your insurance is high because you live in a higher car-related crime area.

~Matt
Reply 2
Yeah my dad isn't really the main driver lol, that's a bit if a lie to bring the cost down (if i was the main driver insurance goes up to £6000).

And are you saying my annual mileage is too high? Because apparently the average miles people drive in a year is 120,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Yeah my dad isn't really the main driver lol, that's a bit if a lie to bring the cost down (if i was the main driver insurance goes up to £6000).

And are you saying my annual mileage is too high? Because apparently the average miles people drive in a year is 120,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus christ. DO NOT insurance front. If in an accident, your insurer will void your policy, you AND your dad will either get points or lose your licenses and since it's fraud, you can expect a nice little criminal record for you and your dad. Oh and your insurance in the future will be double what it would have been.

Original post by maxi365

Posted from TSR Mobile

You on crack? Try about 8-10,000 miles.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by danty
Is £3600 a lot when you're fronting on insurance? I'd say not. It is highly unlikely that your dad is genuinely going to be the main driver on a 1 litre Polo. It'll look even less likely if dad has another car.

85k a year mileage also isn't helping your case at all. (I presume that's what you meant, as insurance want to know how many miles you'll do in a year, not how many miles the car has already done). If you genuinely expect to travel 85k a year (that's 232 miles a day, every day, for a year) then I take my hat off to you.

Also, the main factor for insurance these days is the area in which you live. You might well find that your insurance is high because you live in a higher car-related crime area.

~Matt

Sorry mistake on my part. I meant 8,500 miles. And yeah I'm in Birmingham so it is quite high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely not 120,000. That's like 330 miles every day. I think you mean average mileage of a car, which by the way has nothing to do with insurance. People normally drive 3000-15000 a year I would guess.
Reply 6
Original post by ToastyCoke
Jesus christ. DO NOT insurance front. If in an accident, your insurer will void your policy, you AND your dad will either get points or lose your licenses and since it's fraud, you can expect a nice little criminal record for you and your dad. Oh and your insurance in the future will be double what it would have been.

You on crack? Try about 8-10,000 miles.

I know it's quite dodgy and illegal but what else can I do? Insurance is so high that i need to resort to these measures. Insurance brings people into a vicious cycle where the cost is too high, which makes people do illegal/fraudulent things to bring the cost down, which i turn makes insurance costs even higher and it starts all over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Economistician
Definitely not 120,000. That's like 330 miles every day. I think you mean average mileage of a car, which by the way has nothing to do with insurance. People normally drive 3000-15000 a year I would guess.

Yeah i got confused lol. My annual mileage is 8,500.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Try;
1; Not fronting (believe me, it never pays off)
2: Putting down a realistic mileage (8-10k is fine)
3: Adding parent(s) and sibling(s) as a named driver (up to 4 people, helps a lot).

When I passed my test at 19 I added both parents and my older brother to my insurance as named drivers. Brought it down by almost half.
Original post by maxi365
I know it's quite dodgy and illegal but what else can I do? Insurance is so high that i need to resort to these measures. Insurance brings people into a vicious cycle where the cost is too high, which makes people do illegal/fraudulent things to bring the cost down, which i turn makes insurance costs even higher and it starts all over again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about you don't do it? How selfish are you? You hit another driver and because you're a fronting little scummy, they need to claim on THEIR OWN insurance and lose their NCB and that makes their quote for next year go up? If you actually do front, then I hope both you and your dad get a record for it, the police will prosecute as this fraud is being cracked down on A LOT recently. Is a 20 year criminal record worth it? Fronters contribute to the uninsured drivers that add about £30 onto EVERY SINGLE PERSONS policy in Britain. Scum.
Reply 10
Original post by maxi365
Because apparently the average miles people drive in a year is 120,000?

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you mad?
who the **** is gonna drive 120,000 miles in a year
USA to Australia is around 9000 miles
Reply 11
How about you don't do it? How selfish are you? You hit another driver and because you're a fronting little scummy, they need to claim on THEIR OWN insurance and lose their NCB and that makes their quote for next year go up? If you actually do front, then I hope both you and your dad get a record for it, the police will prosecute as this fraud is being cracked down on A LOT recently. Is a 20 year criminal record worth it? Fronters contribute to the uninsured drivers that add about £30 onto EVERY SINGLE PERSONS policy in Britain. Scum.

I didn't think of it that way. I think it's because i have like 5 cousins (all of who drive without insurance and have been doing so for years). And i just realised I haven't said that I haven't done this yet, I don't even have a car yet, I'm just saying as i will be driving soon and i really need to make the insurance go as low as possible for an 18 year old who's new on the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh yeah I almost forgot.

In the event of an accident you'll be considered uninsured as you are fronting.

Might as well drop the driving lessons and get dad to insure the car as his own with no named drivers. What's the point in paying for insurance if it's not valid? The punishment for no insurance is typically a fine (which is less than the cost of insurance) and a ban (which wouldn't bother you anyway, as you didn't have a license and insurance in the first place)

Not the kind of offence you'd want to commit twice, though.
Original post by maxi365
I didn't think of it that way. I think it's because i have like 5 cousins (all of who drive without insurance and have been doing so for years). And i just realised I haven't said that I haven't done this yet, I don't even have a car yet, I'm just saying as i will be driving soon and i really need to make the insurance go as low as possible for an 18 year old who's new on the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me. It ain't worth it. If that person refuses to claim on their own insurance, you'll be prosecuted you for all costs to cover repairs. All traffic cop cars are fitted with ANPR now. These systems are incredibly hi-tec. All you need to do is drive past one, even for a second, and it will flag saying you have no insurance. Do it all above board, the first year is a killer, but it's a killer for everybody, but isn't it better paying out rather than every time you nip to Tesco for some milk worrying if you're gonna get pulled over, lose your license, get a criminal record, get your vehicle seized and get a fine?
Reply 14
Also you all keep saying the word "fronting". What does this mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
Also you all keep saying the word "fronting". What does this mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fronting is when you own a car and are the main driver, but put an older, more experienced driver as the main driver on the policy to reduce the cost.
Reply 16
Trust me. It ain't worth it. If that person refuses to claim on their own insurance, you'll be prosecuted you for all costs to cover repairs. All traffic cop cars are fitted with ANPR now. These systems are incredibly hi-tec. All you need to do is drive past one, even for a second, and it will flag saying you have no insurance. Do it all above board, the first year is a killer, but it's a killer for everybody, but isn't it better paying out rather than every time you nip to Tesco for some milk worrying if you're gonna get pulled over, lose your license, get a criminal record, get your vehicle seized and get a fine?

I agree with you. The legal way is always the better way. But technically i will have insurance and be insured right because i will be the second driver. The only lie i an telling is that my dad is the main driver.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
I agree with you. The legal way is always the better way. But technically i will have insurance and be insured right because i will be the second driver. The only lie i an telling is that my dad is the main driver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you won't be insured at all. And I mean AT ALL. I know people who have been insured on their partners car, had a bump whilst out in it and because the first driver of the car wasn't in the car when it happened too, they were investigated by their insurance company.

You've obviously made your mind up though. Good luck getting a job with that criminal record in the future when you do inevitably have a bump.
Reply 18
Fronting is when you own a car and are the main driver, but put an older, more experienced driver as the main driver on the policy to reduce the cost.

Ohh thanks. I head that this is quite common? So what legal things (if any) can i do to cut down my insurance, other than install a black box.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try having one of those boxes in the car that records how you drive. If you're a good driver it won't make any difference except for making your insurance cheaper.

Latest

Trending

Trending