The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If anyone's a bit confused, I've merged the two threads for applicants.

As well as the "post your decision thread", one of you will almost certainly set up an "offer holders thread" tomorrow.

So lots of threads. Hence why I merged these two that were basically the same :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
If anyone's a bit confused, I've merged the two threads for applicants.

As well as the "post your decision thread", one of you will almost certainly set up an "offer holders thread" tomorrow.

So lots of threads. Hence why I merged these two that were basically the same :smile:

I preferred my title :cool:

Oh damn it, I can't make poll
I really don't want some long-winded letter where I have to search for my offer or rejection. A simple white piece of paper with "YES" or "NO" printed on it in bold impact font would do nicely. :tongue: :redface:
Okay, so I was feeling really nervous about tomorrow and tried to calm myself with some light reading, and ended up with this...

Any ideas? :redface: Don't even know what 'P(dn) iff P(I(dn))' means.

I don't think this bodes well for the rest of my relaxation...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elcor
Saw this and thought of you (I know that sounds creepy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnUEknwdcI

Haha awesome!! Dw, I'm not creeped out :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Okay, so I was feeling really nervous about tomorrow and tried to calm myself with some light reading, and ended up with this...

You have a weird idea of light reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Posiedon12
You have a weird idea of light reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was pretty standard till that point, and then bang - suddenly, numbers.
It was pretty standard till that point, and then bang - suddenly, numbers.

First of all, I literally don't know what that's about after reading the whole text. Secondly, 'iff' means 'if and only if'.
Do you think the official applicants statistics page will be updated tomorrow or when all the applicants have heard back?
Original post by whatacrydonnie
Do you think the official applicants statistics page will be updated tomorrow or when all the applicants have heard back?

From what I remember last year it wasn't for quite a while.
Original post by Elcor
First of all, I literally don't know what that's about after reading the whole text. Secondly, 'iff' means 'if and only if'.

Oh, it does? Thank-you! I've no familiarity with logic, if I'm lucky Cambridge will change that.

He's explaining supervenience (the claim that mental properties depend on physical properties by are not reducible to them) in terms of the idea that the world should be understood as 'layered' (like one layer is basic physics material, the next might be cells, the next biological organisms etc.). Then he's saying something about mental properties in this model (X and Y), but I'm probably more clueless than you are about what he's saying. Wtf does 'n-adic' mean?

:/ Sixth form life
Hey guys, does Cambridge sends out Postgrad's decision letters the same time as undergrad?

Wow, that looks pretty intense!

I'm no philosopher, so I'm working off a quick wiki of supervenience here and I may well be off base, but here's my 2 cents. The first indented paragraph is basically saying if entities x and y are 'indiscernible' at all levels lower than some level L, then they're indiscernible at level L.

Or, as I would intuitively put it, your high-level properties are determined entirely by your lower level properties (I find the wiki example of a human thought as highest level, then the next level being the biology of the brain, then the chemistry of the brain, then down to the physics and atoms of the brain etc to be useful to get a grip on this).

In the next indented paragraph they define microindiscernibility. What they're saying here is that for any 'property/relation' P, if you have a mapping from the lower parts of x to the lower parts of y (they call this mapping I) such that the 'property' of the lower parts of x is the same as the 'property' of the mapping of the lower parts of y (and the same from y to x), then x and y are microindiscernible.

Or, as I would intuitively try to put it, if you can somehow match up the bits of x to the bits of y at low levels so that they have the same 'result' for any property, then they're microindiscernible - i.e. they are pretty much the same at a low level (wiki uses the nice example of 'under this idea, if you could clone a physical body, then you would automatically induce a cloning of the psychological state as well').

They haven't defined exactly what they mean by a property on that page so that's a bit ambiguous to me atm - it would seem to me that you should be able to have 'microindiscernibility with respect to specific properties' as well, but I can't say from that page alone.

Oh and iff means if and only if i.e. both necessary and sufficient.
Reply 2093
Original post by jneill
Everyone else definitely gets a letter. The offers are all decided, except for the relatively few people still being interviewed. The pool finished this Tuesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pool interviews. But http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/winterpool_2014.pdf
Original post by whatacrydonnie

Original post by Principia
From what I remember last year it wasn't for quite a while.

Don't forget about the people who have already been contacted and asked back for interviews. They obviously won't know tomorrow, so it wouldn't be possible to give final stats.
Reply 2095
Original post by ianna.andreea
Lucky you! Then I'm going down alone..... :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I still have (hope so) to meet the language requirments :,(

That's for 2013/2014

This is the one you need:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/winterpool_2015.pdf

:wink:

Also http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_6.html#3

Pool open:

Sunday 4 January 2015 (11.00am - 6.00pm)

Monday 5 January 2015 (9.00am - 6.00pm)

Tuesday 6 January 2015 (9.00am - 6.00pm)

Pool interview dates:
At its meeting in February 2014, the Admissions Forum agreed that there should be no hard-set Winter Pool interview dates for subjects, but that these should take place wherever possible between 10-13 January 2015 with 14 January as a back-up if needed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
Don't forget about the people who have already been contacted and asked back for interviews. They obviously won't know tomorrow, so it wouldn't be possible to give final stats.

They could do the stats for direct offers but that wouldn't make much sense... I'm just eager to see the statistic for this year :tongue:
Reply 2098

Thank you. But it is still not clear. And on of your previous posts it was said that international applicants will only receive an email after the pool, that's why I am scared :s-smilie:
Original post by ClickItBack

In the next indented paragraph they define microindiscernibility. What they're saying here is that for any 'property/relation' P, if you have a mapping from the lower parts of x to the lower parts of y (they call this mapping I) such that the 'property' of the lower parts of x is the same as the 'property' of the mapping of the lower parts of y (and the same from y to x), then x and y are microindiscernible.

Or, as I would intuitively try to put it, if you can somehow match up the bits of x to the bits of y at low levels so that they have the same 'result' for any property, then they're microindiscernible - i.e. they are pretty much the same at a low level (wiki uses the nice example of 'under this idea, if you could clone a physical body, then you would automatically induce a cloning of the psychological state as well').

They haven't defined exactly what they mean by a property on that page so that's a bit ambiguous to me atm - it would seem to me that you should be able to have 'microindiscernibility with respect to specific properties' as well, but I can't say from that page alone.

Oh and iff means if and only if i.e. both necessary and sufficient.

Thank-you! Very helpful :smile:

I think I'm going to read this through again in a bit, hahaha! I think he's just saying that the properties of wholes are determined by the properties of their parts, which would make sense as he (he's called Kim, lol) is looking at the relationship between M and P.

You're not an applicant then? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending