The Student Room Group

Oxford PGCE 2015

Anyone applied or got a place on PGCE here? if so which colleges are you applying for? :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an interview with them some time in January! They haven't told me when yet though! Have you got a place? :smile: I really can't decide on a college at the moment, not sure whether to just go for it and choose one of the famous old ones or pick a graduate one which is more likely to give me a place... tricky! Have you decided on one yet? :smile: Also which course are you doing PGCE in? I'm doing Languages (MFL) x
Reply 2
Hi! Yes, have a place at Oxford just trying to work out colleges too - what subject are you doing? also what were the conditions offered to? xx
Reply 3
Im doing mine in history ! Really stuck on a college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I haven't been given the conditions of my offer yet. I have passed both skills tests and I have already graduated so i can only imagine it will be the DBS wt about you what are the conditions of your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ah, if you've applied after graduating, I can't see what conditions they could give you. I am yet to graduate, but my only condition was to pass the year, and so graduate with my class, which is a relief!
Reply 6
Original post by AES07
Ah, if you've applied after graduating, I can't see what conditions they could give you. I am yet to graduate, but my only condition was to pass the year, and so graduate with my class, which is a relief!

Which subject are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 7
What sort of colleges are you looking at? General ones or graduate only ones?

Also did they ask you about colleges at interview?
Reply 8
You just need to pass the year you don't need to get a particular classification? So you could potentially get a Third and still be accepted? I finally got my offer letter and Yh its just DBS, work history and medical check etc. Which subject are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well I'm 24 so I'm thinking either graduate only or colleges with a considerable gradual community. I know that St. Stephens has a lot of PGCE students. Also we discussed colleges in the preliminary part of the interview day but they never quizzed me about it in the individual interview. Though this maybe different depending on who is interviewing you. Have you found out when your interview is? Have you had offers elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
**graduate community

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ah ok fair enough. I did see that about St. Stephens so was considering it, it would be nice to have a good support network around!

My interview is in Monday which is scary! I have so far had offers from Bristol and Southampton so just need to wait and here from Oxford and then I can decide :smile:
Reply 12
Given the choice where would you go? Good luck for monday in sure you will smash it. You must be good if everywhere else has offered you a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yep, just 'graduate in the summer' which was a surprise! I'm thinking not an all graduate college, but one with a big enough population. I'm a geographer xx
Reply 14
I hope so! Thanks for the luck :smile: I'm thinking one of the ones with a big postgrad community but not 100% sure yet! Maybe Merton but I think it would be super competitive so not sure. I might go and have a walk around a couple before my interview and get a feel for them :smile:
Original post by stefinka
I hope so! Thanks for the luck :smile: I'm thinking one of the ones with a big postgrad community but not 100% sure yet! Maybe Merton but I think it would be super competitive so not sure. I might go and have a walk around a couple before my interview and get a feel for them :smile:

What reason do you have to think that? For example for undergraduate Merton is not especially competitive.
Original post by LydzPLG
Well I'm 24 so I'm thinking either graduate only or colleges with a considerable gradual community. I know that St. Stephens has a lot of PGCE students. Also we discussed colleges in the preliminary part of the interview day but they never quizzed me about it in the individual interview. Though this maybe different depending on who is interviewing you. Have you found out when your interview is? Have you had offers elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Stephen's House is a religious Permanent Private Hall focuses on theology and has only 20 graduate students.

I don't know much about them, but how is it possible for them to have 'a lot of PGCE students'?
Reply 17
Well according to the website 'The college has one of the largest communities of PGCE students in the University, and other postgraduate students pursuing both taught and research degrees in Education' also when i was at my interview it was mentioned that St. Stephens has the most i suppose its in relative terms but yeah it wasn't something i just made up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
What reason do you have to think that? For example for undergraduate Merton is not especially competitive.

Just going by rumour! Focussing more on which college would suit me best anyway :smile:
Original post by LydzPLG
Well according to the website 'The college has one of the largest communities of PGCE students in the University, and other postgraduate students pursuing both taught and research degrees in Education' also when i was at my interview it was mentioned that St. Stephens has the most i suppose its in relative terms but yeah it wasn't something i just made up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just checked and they did say that. But it's just theoretically impossible if they are, as Wikipedia stated, with only 20 graduate students altogether. I can't seem to find information on the number of students they have - do you have official numbers on their website or elsewhere?

Also, the claim 'and other postgraduate students pursuing both taught and research degrees in Education' is in direct contradiction with the fact that they listed only four courses on their website: Bachelor of Arts in Theology, MTh in Applied Theology, Postgraduate Diploma in Theology, and PGCE. No degrees in education. The other thing is that when they say 'PGCE', they may also only be thinking of PGCE in religious education.

For what it's worth, I'm from the Department of Education and I have heard of no-one from St Stephen's House. I know one person who's with Regent's Park College but that's it for the PPHs. Admittedly, I don't know that many PGCEs outside of my college, but my college (Kellogg) does have loads of them (so many that they have an MCR rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending