The Student Room Group

Fees for a 'second' Masters degree (MPhys vs MSc)

Hey,

I've been able to find very little information online regarding fees for a second Masters degree.

I'm hoping to apply to Goldsmiths to do a 1 year MSc (which I reeeeaally want to do). It has just occurred to me that I might be charged 'second masters fees' because my undergraduate degree is an MPhys. :s-smilie: I'm not sure if the MPhys is viewed as equivalent to an MSc, or if I'd be charged double because of it (even though I've never done any postgrad degrees).

Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Does it vary by institution? I'm emailing their fees department now. I'm apprehensive because I very badly want to do this course, but I would definitely not be able to afford it if the tuition costs were doubled. The only reason I did the MPhys in the first place was to save money... Which seems to have blown up in my face. :colonhash:

If anyone has any insight or experience from a similar situation it'd be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I found this:

a. This also means that (again with the exception of students who hold an MPharm) a student who holds an integrated masters qualification and who wishes to enrol on a taught postgraduate masters qualification (such as a Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Business Administration (MBA)) should be treated as aiming for an ELQ.

So it looks like applying for the MA indeed makes me an ELQ student. :frown: I have found that it varies by university, but for some reason Goldsmiths seems to have deleted all of its pages relating to ELQ fees.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You really need to email them and ask. At worst they will confirm that what you found out is true. At best, they may tell you differently. No point guessing at this stage - you need the facts.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
You really need to email them and ask. At worst they will confirm that what you found out is true. At best, they may tell you differently. No point guessing at this stage - you need the facts.

Yes, I already have. It's a little frustrating that they've deleted their ELQ page.

From what I can gather, it seems that in 2009 they charged the surplus fees, but then in 2011/12 they withdrew them for research courses and stated that some taught courses would also be exempt for 2012 entry. Now that the page is completely deleted, I'm going to be optimistic. The 2014 fees page also doesn't mention ELQ in the slightest. Fingers crossed. :redface:

I posted this thread a little pre-emptively as I seem to have found what I was looking for. My bad.
Reply 3
what are 'second masters' fees? i've done 3 masters and didn't pay any extra for the second or third

(well, i did pay overseas fees for the first two, but that was back when you could do a masters at LSE for about 5k overseas fees....)
Reply 4
Original post by Pariah
what are 'second masters' fees? i've done 3 masters and didn't pay any extra for the second or third

(well, i did pay overseas fees for the first two, but that was back when you could do a masters at LSE for about 5k overseas fees....)

Times have changed, unfortunately. These days it's pretty standard to charge all students International fees for second undergrad and Masters degrees - even Home students.
Reply 5
Original post by Pariah

That must have been 20 years ago. Nowadays you would not get much for £5000 at LSE (one module?).
First I've heard of it. Me and someone on my MSc course already hold a masters degree but this isn't reflected in our fees.
Original post by laurakate1988
First I've heard of it. Me and someone on my MSc course already hold a masters degree but this isn't reflected in our fees.

Same here, I was on second till I quit and didn't get charged more. But I'm reapplying for next year so we'll see
Reply 8
Original post by Tcannon
That must have been 20 years ago. Nowadays you would not get much for £5000 at LSE (one module?).

1987-88!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending