The Student Room Group

Who should apologize for Islamic extremism?

After the recent Paris attacks, there has been calls for the Muslim community to apologize for the actions of extremists by association of faith.

More generally though, I sort of had an internal discussion about who was to blame, if anyone, for Islamic extremism. I think if anything, Western imperialism in Muslim-majority regions has definitely played more of a role in shaping and creating the radical groups we see today. It's also interesting to think about the alternative but quite popular narrative that we see all the time on TSR; that Islamic extremism is actually an intrinsic part of Islamic tradition. If that is the narrative you hold, what about countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Chad, Morocco etc, which don't experience the terror attacks that are prevalent in regions where the geo-politics is influenced by Western intervention , how do you reconcile your narrative in those cases? Is geo-politics a more important influence than religion? Are these attacks actually motivated by religion, or is religion used as post-justification for the attacks?
Reply 1
the only people who should apologise for extremism are the extremists.
the muslim community condemns the attacks, and shouldn't be held responsible
sadly, most people just see the attacks as another reason to be islamophobic and nobody actually bothers researching anything so??
like, nobody asks christians to apologise for the actions of the KKK (which are still ongoing! but barely ever reported)
Reply 2
Original post by HeavyTeddy
After the recent Paris attacks, there has been calls for the Muslim community to apologize for the actions of extremists by association of faith.

More generally though, I sort of had an internal discussion about who was to blame, if anyone, for Islamic extremism. I think if anything, Western imperialism in Muslim-majority regions has definitely played more of a role in shaping and creating the radical groups we see today. It's also interesting to think about the alternative but quite popular narrative that we see all the time on TSR; that Islamic extremism is actually an intrinsic part of Islamic tradition. If that is the narrative you hold, what about countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Chad, Morocco etc, which don't experience the terror attacks that are prevalent in regions where the geo-politics is influenced by Western intervention , how do you reconcile your narrative in those cases? Is geo-politics a more important influence than religion? Are these attacks actually motivated by religion, or is religion used as post-justification for the attacks?

I think the reason the world calls for what you're calling an apology is more a call for the muslim community to condemn the attacks. If high profile muslim figures condemn these attacks it helps to remind other muslims and the rest of society that the actions of these so called muslims is not the teaching of Islam it is the views of a few individuals.
I don't see it as an attempt to place blame i see it as an attempt to prevent other people thinking this is what their god wanted or that it is a wide spread feeling in the muslim community
The people and organisations who train and fund them.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/tom-engelhardt/how-america-made-isis%E2%80%A8
Our establishment should apologise to the British people for the mass immigration which has led to this problem, and which is eroding the soul of this nation. Furthermore, they should apologise for making the British people feel guilty about the fact that they understandably resent what has happened to their country.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Obviously the extremists are the one ones to blame, but Muslims communities are still the ones who must bear the burden to prevent this kind of extremism.

In many Muslims communities there are too many apologists who actually are very similar to the violent fanatics.
Rather than using assault rifles they use the force of the state to shut down free speech.
Reply 6
We shouldn't be looking for apologies. We should be looking for ways to stop it from ever happening.
Reply 7
Original post by em.d_4
I think the reason the world calls for what you're calling an apology is more a call for the muslim community to condemn the attacks. If high profile muslim figures condemn these attacks it helps to remind other muslims and the rest of society that the actions of these so called muslims is not the teaching of Islam it is the views of a few individuals.
I don't see it as an attempt to place blame i see it as an attempt to prevent other people thinking this is what their god wanted or that it is a wide spread feeling in the muslim community

Tbh, that is equally as troubling. Wanting an open declaration that condemns these attack from prominent Muslim figures implies that this isn't the stance that the Muslim community already hold. It's patronising and quite honestly disheartening to think that people don't believe that the majority of Muslims don't already condemn these attacks.
Reply 8
Original post by A5ko
We shouldn't be looking for apologies. We should be looking for ways to stop it from ever happening.

We know why it's happening, but largely our governments don't seem to want to acknowledge it. Brutality forces people to become barbarous, and perpetrators of the majority of the larger terrorist attacks have already cited their reasons for attacking innocents in the West, and predominantly those reasons were related to foreign policy, not religion. If we don't take steps to restrict our imperialism I doubt we'll see any stop to terrorism. In short, we've created our own problems.
Original post by A5ko

To do that the mass public needs to know what is happening geopolitically and is behind all this, in order for it to be stopped. Nip it from the bud. And Islamic extremist isnt the bud.

ISIS: Creation Of The CIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1zGJApfbDc

Today the extremist are classed ISIS. Not long ago it was run by the brotherhood, until people starts to link the fact that all these extremist groups are funded, trained and supported (through closed doors) by the same people. When that happens the media and governement change the name.

What you should be asking is why? What have they got to gain from this. And to do this one needs to look at history and start entertaining ideas we are told not to look at.

EndGame documentary is a good place to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CrNlilZho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending