The Student Room Group

Joining college today at 31

After 15 years im going back to college to do my GCSE's. A little nervous but excited, just wanted to introduce myself to TSR. Any positive comments would be appreciated for a guy who wants to start a new path down education and hopefully pursue a new career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
What GCSEs are you studying and what career do you intend on doing?
I'm the same age as you, and if I had the opportunity I'd happily return to studying :smile: I think what you're doing is fab! What are you hoping to do eventually?
Reply 3
your abit old don't you think
Reply 4
Wow, that's a big step! I wish you all the best! What subjects do you plan to take?
Reply 5
I would like pursue a career in health and nutrition i have a real passion for food and the science behind it but honestly in still very unsure where this could lead so i am thinking i should start with the basics like English and Maths. I came out of school with nothing due to just simply not applying myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Umar147
your abit old don't you think

Maybe i'll find out 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm the same age as you, and if I had the opportunity I'd happily return to studying :smile: I think what you're doing is fab! What are you hoping to do eventually?

Thanks for the positivity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You should have no worries, if you work hard you will hopefully be working in the career you want before forty. Fair play to put in the work and go back to studying at 31. I would treat your study and job search over the coming years as though you are in actual job. By that I mean you treat your study as important as you would tasks at work, the same with when you seek a job in health and nutrition - the job search in and of itself will be a job. Also I would start immediately trying to build contacts, ask for shadowing or work experience days in the job your aiming for - find and read materials around the type of work you would be doing. Just keep a clear vision of what you want and be positive, it's a very attainable goal and I wish you all the best.
Reply 9
My boyfriend did exactly the same thing. When he was younger he only achieved a couple of GCSEs and instead of continuing with education he began working for a nearby company. After 12 years he decided he wanted a career change and began an Access to Higher Education Course at college. Now he has finished University with a 2:1 and he is working in higher education. He loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone thinking of becoming a mature student. Good luck and I hope you have a positive experience too! :smile:
Thankyou my friend thats really sound advice i never looked at like that. I have a million and one things going round in my head as its a little daunting going back to education after so long.
Really appreciate your reply. All the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cyan004
My boyfriend did exactly the same thing. When he was younger he only achieved a couple of GCSEs and instead of continuing with education he began working for a nearby company. After 12 years he decided he wanted a career change and began an Access to Higher Education Course at college. Now he has finished University with a 2:1 and he is working in higher education. He loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone thinking of becoming a mature student. Good luck and I hope you have a positive experience too! :smile:

Its certainly a big step and hearing what your boyfriends has achieved has made me more positive knowing that it is achievable. Thankyou 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
It will be daunting but hey, you're improving your prospects of a better future.

There are many mature students about, good luck and don't give up.
Original post by lostRAWsoul
After 15 years im going back to college to do my GCSE's. A little nervous but excited, just wanted to introduce myself to TSR. Any positive comments would be appreciated for a guy who wants to start a new path down education and hopefully pursue a new career.

Congratulations on going back to college! :woo: :biggrin: It is daunting but it's a really great thing to do, especially if it gives you opportunities to do what you want. :smile: :yy:

We have a forum for mature students, which might also be useful for you. :h:
Good luck to you. I hope it takes you where you want to go in life.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Congratulations on going back to college! :woo: :biggrin: It is daunting but it's a really great thing to do, especially if it gives you opportunities to do what you want. :smile: :yy:

We have a forum for mature students, which might also be useful for you. :h:

Thankyou! Im really glad i joined up today so much support already. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest