The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Late PhD Application to Cambridge

Hi,

I was a little late to the game for applying for a PhD at Cambridge in engineering, only applying in March, my application got through to degree committee last week, but I'm now wondering if I am lucky enough to get through to further stages and an offer, how likely is it that, as such a late application, I get into my colleges of choice - Jesus 1st and Pembroke 2nd - as I'm wondering if all the spaces will already be taken up? And furthermore, how likely it is that I am able to get postgrad accommodation at any college if I receive an offer later than most people?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by djlocky_97
Hi,

I was a little late to the game for applying for a PhD at Cambridge in engineering, only applying in March, my application got through to degree committee last week, but I'm now wondering if I am lucky enough to get through to further stages and an offer, how likely is it that, as such a late application, I get into my colleges of choice - Jesus 1st and Pembroke 2nd - as I'm wondering if all the spaces will already be taken up? And furthermore, how likely it is that I am able to get postgrad accommodation at any college if I receive an offer later than most people?

Thanks

hey i wouldnt worry about this at all. cambridge has a very advanced and thorough application system which means that they only assess which candidates to give places to once theyve had all applications - like they'll decide places over the course of a few days at the end of the whole process. places dont get filled up along the way. same with accomodation - they won't allocate accomodation until everyone has received their offers.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by pkchan
hey i wouldnt worry about this at all. cambridge has a very advanced and thorough application system which means that they only assess which candidates to give places to once theyve had all applications - like they'll decide places over the course of a few days at the end of the whole process. places dont get filled up along the way. same with accomodation - they won't allocate accomodation until everyone has received their offers.

Thanks, much appreciated. I had just seen some posts of people already receiving rejections/acceptances so was a bit worried
Hi,

Thanks

Jesus and Pembroke both touch and go on being filled by now. You might be lucky.

Accommodation depends entirely on the College and the system they have in place (which is decided largely by prior cohorts of students). Some work on a first come first served by offer date, some by confirmation date, some by who is done by 31 July etc. In any case, actual decisions aren't generally made until late August after Undergrad places are decided, as UGs take priority (so again, different if you get a PG College. Chances are if you get an offer and can confirm everything before 31 July you will be in the running for College accommodation.

If you've got to Degree Committee, you have a strong chance of an offer following.
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks

Have you received any outcome? As I also applied late
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Have you received any outcome? As I also applied late

Hey, yeah, unfortunately I didn’t get into either of my choices, I was pooled and got into Fitzwilliam, which after looking at it I’m actually perfectly happy with aside from the more modern buildings. They also seem to have a decent shot at getting accom too so there’s that, hope you get in where you would like!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending