The Student Room Group

I have no qualifications. Where to start?

Hi. I'm 31 with no qualifications to my name. Not a single GCSE as I left school before the exams.

Where would I need to start? I wouldn't mind sort of attempting to gain qualifications that would help in an office/computing related job to future proof myself.

I'm located in north Manchester.
Would I have to pay to gain these quals or do you reckon it'd be free as I don't have any quals? Or does it depend on how much you earn?

Thanks for any help. 👍
Original post by StormST
Hi. I'm 31 with no qualifications to my name. Not a single GCSE as I left school before the exams.

Where would I need to start? I wouldn't mind sort of attempting to gain qualifications that would help in an office/computing related job to future proof myself.

I'm located in north Manchester.
Would I have to pay to gain these quals or do you reckon it'd be free as I don't have any quals? Or does it depend on how much you earn?

Thanks for any help. 👍

A good starting point would be Maths and English Language GCSEs, I'd say, as not having them will be keeping lots of doors closed. Generally speaking, you won't have to paid for those (even as an adult). The same is true of some ICT courses (which would be useful for "an office/computing related job").

This page on gov.uk is a reasonable starting point, although it essentially suggests calling the National Careers Service helpline (0800 100 900) for free advice, or using the National Careers Service course finder to search for an appropriate course. On that page you can give your postcode, a search radius, and a keyword, and it'll search for relevant courses. There are also a load of filters - full-time / part-time, online / classroom, daytime / evening, etc.
Reply 2
Thanks for that I'll give them a ring today and see what they say. Yeah I'm guessing Maths/English would be a good start, I'm hoping you can do this online these days.
Original post by StormST
Thanks for that I'll give them a ring today and see what they say. Yeah I'm guessing Maths/English would be a good start, I'm hoping you can do this online these days.

You can study for them online yes (just click "Online" under "Course type") on the search page I linked to above. However the exams themselves would need to be taken in person at a local exam centre. Hopefully the course provider will be able to help with that.
Reply 4
You can do a pre access course at a college where you can do English and Maths alongside other subjects to gain entry for the access course of your choice, by doing the pre access and then the access course you’ll then be allowed to go to University, as long as you gain the correct amount of required ucas points required for the course you want to do at University.

Don’t let the amount of time above is put you off! It’s two years and will go quick!

I was in your boat, and just got an offer for my degree which is a 4 year course! And I’m 40!

Go for it, best thing I’ve ever done! Extremely hard but absolutely worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending