The Student Room Group

Underpaid tax..

I've received a letter saying I had underpaid tax in years 12/13 and 13/14 (the amount owed is £77 after deductions were made)

I'll try to give a quick idea of my employment trail if that helps:

2012 - Working until December 2012. Signed on after that point
2013 - I signed off JSA as I took a position which ultimately was a [problem] job (employers didn't pay me and due to their dubious history, doubt that they forwarded any tax for me)
2013 - Around June time I went on JSA again
2014 - In February, I got full time employment and have been in this job since.

Now the "employer" who didn't pay me I doubt caused the issue as someone else who experienced the same, i.e. not being paid, had no problems with tax underpayment after leaving.

It might be my new employers but I'm thinking of sending a letter to HMRC asking for an explanation but will this explanation provide an insight as to who is responsible or will it be generic?

Any advice appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Aky786UK
Any advice appreciated.

Do you have your old payslips or P60s? You should be able to calculate the tax owed yourself.

If you wernt paid for the employment in 2013 and didnt get another job until Feb 2014 ; I cant see how you would owe any tax for 13/14.
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
Do you have your old payslips or P60s? You should be able to calculate the tax owed yourself.

If you wernt paid for the employment in 2013 and didnt get another job until Feb 2014 ; I cant see how you would owe any tax for 13/14.

You were right. It seems I was owed money, not for me to give to them.

Misread the letters (are abit gobble-de-gook) and assumed the underpayment was from my side and I was awaiting information for repayment but got a cheque through for the amount which clarified everything. Thanks for your help :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending