The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Uni English Lit students (or any students in general?)

I know this is extreeeeme planning ahead since I'm going to hopefully start uni later this year, but it is also just out of general curiosity - what sorts of things are you given or expected to carry around in terms of work at uni when you go to lectures? Do you have to carry ring binders, folders, notebooks? Are you handed out sheets you're expected to bring to every lecture/are you free to choose to take notes in whatever sized notepad you'd like?

I'm just wondering because for school, GCSE required a very big, strong bag in terms of textbooks for so many subjects, as well as books etc. For A Level, it's gotten smaller, but still quite a lot. I'm just wondering, since uni would be one subject obviously. I'm also looking at investing in a really good bag for uni, and am debating between a 13" or 15". Both hold A4 documents, but I'm just wondering if I'd need to take into account the thickness of binders, or how many A4 sized things I'd need to carry round. For my second year of sixth form, I've swapped huge binders for smaller document wallets and paper holders - do the same job, but just much thinner and more practical. Hopefully uni work will allow me to be able to do this too, since binders are so hefty and I prefer just keeping them at home on my desk.

This could be particularly helpful if answered by English Lit students, in terms of saying if they need to bring a thousand reading books/textbooks to lectures, loads of notepads, or if it's generally quite light-weight. But of course any answer would be helpful.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by screamadelica
I know this is extreeeeme planning ahead since I'm going to hopefully start uni later this year, but it is also just out of general curiosity - what sorts of things are you given or expected to carry around in terms of work at uni when you go to lectures? Do you have to carry ring binders, folders, notebooks? Are you handed out sheets you're expected to bring to every lecture/are you free to choose to take notes in whatever sized notepad you'd like?

I'm just wondering because for school, GCSE required a very big, strong bag in terms of textbooks for so many subjects, as well as books etc. For A Level, it's gotten smaller, but still quite a lot. I'm just wondering, since uni would be one subject obviously. I'm also looking at investing in a really good bag for uni, and am debating between a 13" or 15". Both hold A4 documents, but I'm just wondering if I'd need to take into account the thickness of binders, or how many A4 sized things I'd need to carry round. For my second year of sixth form, I've swapped huge binders for smaller document wallets and paper holders - do the same job, but just much thinner and more practical. Hopefully uni work will allow me to be able to do this too, since binders are so hefty and I prefer just keeping them at home on my desk.

This could be particularly helpful if answered by English Lit students, in terms of saying if they need to bring a thousand reading books/textbooks to lectures, loads of notepads, or if it's generally quite light-weight. But of course any answer would be helpful.

Thanks!

For uni you really don't need to be carrying around hoards of notes or anything, unless you're going to the library.

I did 4 modules last semester and had a ring binder for each which I kept in my room and just took a file block and a print out of the powerpoint of the topic for lectures.

As for English Lit, its not like school where you read in the class or go through textbooks. All reading from the compulsory texts and also textbooks is done in your own time. Lectures only go over topic for exams and assignments so no need to carry everything around.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by screamadelica

Thanks!

Hi there,

I'm the official rep for Royal Holloway, but I'm also an English Literature graduate so I might be of some help.

I tried to go as lightweight as possible. For lectures and seminars, I would usually just bring a notepad, a pen, and the core text we were studying that week (which naturally, due to it being English Lit, could be huge!) Also, depending on how the lecturer taught their classes, I would bring any pre-prepared notes they may have uploaded onto the student portal and a print-out of anything I thought would be useful for that particular class. Then of course, any homework/written preparation for seminars and workshops. I would then file everything away in folders back at home. Of course, some people prefer to go paperless and just bring their laptop/notebook.

I had a strong bag which could carry at least two A4 notepads and a document holder, which only needed to be thin and was very useful for any loose sheets of paper that were handed out. I usually only had to carry a lot of books when checking things out/returning them to the library during essay-writing or revision time. So, I also recommend getting a simple and cheap canvas tote bag too (example).

University is all about independent study, so you are free to just bring what you think is necessary according to your learning style. You'll quickly find out what you need once classes start, and as an English Literature student, you may find you're surrounded by books - but in the comfort of your own home!

I hope this helps!

Emily
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

I'm the official rep for Royal Holloway, but I'm also an English Literature graduate so I might be of some help.

I tried to go as lightweight as possible. For lectures and seminars, I would usually just bring a notepad, a pen, and the core text we were studying that week (which naturally, due to it being English Lit, could be huge!) Also, depending on how the lecturer taught their classes, I would bring any pre-prepared notes they may have uploaded onto the student portal and a print-out of anything I thought would be useful for that particular class. Then of course, any homework/written preparation for seminars and workshops. I would then file everything away in folders back at home. Of course, some people prefer to go paperless and just bring their laptop/notebook.

I had a strong bag which could carry at least two A4 notepads and a document holder, which only needed to be thin and was very useful for any loose sheets of paper that were handed out. I usually only had to carry a lot of books when checking things out/returning them to the library during essay-writing or revision time. So, I also recommend getting a simple and cheap canvas tote bag too (example).

University is all about independent study, so you are free to just bring what you think is necessary according to your learning style. You'll quickly find out what you need once classes start, and as an English Literature student, you may find you're surrounded by books - but in the comfort of your own home!

I hope this helps!

Emily

Original post by l'insegnante
For uni you really don't need to be carrying around hoards of notes or anything, unless you're going to the library.

I did 4 modules last semester and had a ring binder for each which I kept in my room and just took a file block and a print out of the powerpoint of the topic for lectures.

As for English Lit, its not like school where you read in the class or go through textbooks. All reading from the compulsory texts and also textbooks is done in your own time. Lectures only go over topic for exams and assignments so no need to carry everything around.

Brilliant, thanks for all the help. :smile: From the sounds of it, I would be fine just carrying around my few essentials and a clear document wallet or two with some plain sheets of paper and any sheets I will need to hand in/pick up. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending