The Student Room Group

Will a sixth form kick you out for having bad attendance but you're grades are good?

So basically my attendance is pretty bad as don't turn up to a lot of my morning lessons. Yet my grades are all fine getting B's in all my topics and my teachers seem to be fine with me and think i'm capable of getting A's.

Also not behide on any homework and i always self revise the topics that i miss.

Yet i'm under threat of being kicked out of sixth form due to bad attendance.

So basically I'm wondering what my odds are if i play Russian roulette with attendance and don't turn up to the detentions they give me. As i think they would rather have higher grades than a higher average attendance?

Just wondering if anyone knows the procedure that the sixth form have to go through in order to kick me out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Joesmiths
So basically my attendance is pretty bad as don't turn up to a lot of my morning lessons. Yet my grades are all fine getting B's in all my topics and my teachers seem to be fine with me and think i'm capable of getting A's.

Also not behide on any homework and i always self revise the topics that i miss.

So basically I'm wondering what my odds are if i play Russian roulette with attendance and don't turn up to the detentions they give me. As i think they would rather have higher grades than a higher average attendance?

Just wondering if anyone knows the procedure that the sixth form have to go through in order to kick me out.

Situation: Without attending, you're getting B's.

Potential: If you did attend, you'd probably get A's.

Action: Attend.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2

What is your reason for not attending?
Reply 3
Original post by SH0405
Without attending, you're getting B's.

So if you did attend, you'd probably get A's.

So attend.

If I don't attend i probably still will get A's. Can easily revise what ever i miss at home.

Point is does anyone know what a collages rules are on kicking people out. Can they actually kick someone out just for bad attendance, if their grades are fine?

Like in High school i sailed through with 75% attendance and they only ever gave a couple detentions every now and then and never done anything.

I know collage is different as it seems to be easier to kick students out as its not mandatory to attend.
Reply 4
If I don't attend i probably still will get A's. Can easily revise what ever i miss at home.

Point is does anyone know what a collages rules are on kicking people out. Can they actually kick someone out just for bad attendance, if their grades are fine?

Like in High school i sailed through with 75% attendance and they only ever gave a couple detentions every now and then and never done anything.

I know collage is different as it seems to be easier to kick students out as its not mandatory to attend.

1. I would encourage you to stop being complacent, and knuckle down.

2. The college are perfectly entitled to kick you out for low attendance, as long as it's part of their school policy, which you can ask for and I think they must legally provide it.
Reply 5
Not happening, B's are fine. Isn't every collages policy's the same?
Original post by SH0405
1. I would encourage you to stop being complacent, and knuckle down.

2. The college are perfectly entitled to kick you out for low attendance, as long as it's part of their school policy, which you can ask for and I think they must legally provide it.

This. Colleges aren't only interested in a students achievements, it's the students overall profile- i.e attendance, attitude to lessons, relationships with teachers etc. You can't carry the same attitudes you once had at school, to college- it just doesn't work. If you become complacent and don't feel you need to attend lessons because your achievements are adequate without the need for teacher's input, they are still going to see that as absconding and take action against it. Just attend your lessons, whether they're early in the morning or not.
Reply 7
Not happening, B's are fine. Isn't every collages policy's the same?

They will all contain roughly the same clauses, and almost certainly a clause on attendance. But they won't all be the same, no.
Reply 8
Original post by Amy. J S
This. Colleges aren't only interested in a students achievements, it's the students overall profile- i.e attendance, attitude to lessons, relationships with teachers etc. You can't carry the same attitudes you once had at school, to college- it just doesn't work. If you become complacent and don't feel you need to attend lessons because your achievements are adequate without the need for teacher's input, they are still going to see that as absconding and take action against it. Just attend your lessons, whether they're early in the morning or not.

Exactly. You especially can't continue this complacence into university/the workplace etc. It's therefore best to simply attend, or have a review of whether you actually want to be there, which, at the moment, doesn't seem to be the case.
Your not going to get into university with poor attendance, it all goes on your reference and if they see you haven't been bothered to show up in the morning then they couldn't care less what your grades are.

And yes a sixth form can kick you out because of poor attendance, by enrolling there in the first place you agreed to attend all lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SH0405
Exactly. You especially can't continue this complacence into university/the workplace etc. It's therefore best to simply attend, or have a review of whether you actually want to be there, which, at the moment, doesn't seem to be the case.

Absolutely. That is the thing, FE colleges aren't compulsory. What is compulsory (until the student's 18th Birthday) is staying in some form on education, training, employment or voluntary work 20+ hours a week. There has to be an underlining issue to why OP doesn't want to attend, and like you say have a review of why you're on the course, or whether another course may be better. Grades are not the be all and end all. You can't have good grades (A's/B's) but poor attitudes to attendance, involvement etc.
Reply 11
I'll be fine. workplace = money, don't go no money. School Don't go = more sleep. End result 2 A's 1 B. no offence, didn't join this forum to get a lecture from my mum.

Kinda wanted someone with experience on how the school decided how to kick people out. See if its worth playing Russian roulette with my head of sixth form or not.
I'll be fine. workplace = money, don't go no money. School Don't go = more sleep. End result 2 A's 1 B. no offence, didn't join this forum to get a lecture from my mum.

Kinda wanted someone with experience on how the school decided how to kick people out. See if its worth playing Russian roulette with my head of sixth form or not.

I have experience and have seen many of my lazy friends get kicked out because of poor attendance, and I'm at a sixth form. One of my friends got 4As at AS level and still got kicked out because she wouldn't show up to one of her chem lessons as she hated the teacher.

You will get kicked out regardless of your grades, and no offence but is so easy to A* grades without even attending, but you won't be able to achieve them when your kicked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

You won't be fine.

Workplace = money. No workplace = no money. No school = No Workplace.

See if you figure that one out.

Is it worth playing Russian roulette with my head of sixth form or not? No. It's not.

Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
dude, don't comment on this thread. Clearly worked that one out when i decided to post this. I clearly care about my place in sixth form. as I'm ambitious, i already have a good source of income from various things on the internet. I'm not lazy, im smart and like doing the minimum i can, with the greatest reward.

Can't i pay to take the exams anyways? do I have to be assigned to a sixth form to actually do my A levels?
Reply 15
dude, don't comment on this thread. Clearly worked that one out when i decided to post this. I clearly care about my place in sixth form. as I'm ambitious, i already have a good source of income from various things on the internet. I'm not lazy, im smart and like doing the minimum i can, with the greatest reward.

Can't i pay to take the exams anyways? do I have to be assigned to a sixth form to actually do my A levels?

At whom was that directed?
Reply 16
Not sure, probably my mother.

It's not a lecture- although at times, I think I did go off an a tangent. :colondollar: It just a very irritating attitude to hear, if I am honest. I hear this attitude so much from people at my college- and what makes it worse, on my course, these people are 19, 20, 21 etc: Some even have children, and moan about coming into college at 9 or 10 in the morning. I just find it really rude and really smug to think "I don't have to attend because I'm getting ___".

Ultimately, do what you want. But, I'm pretty sure your college will pick you up fairly quickly on it when your attendance reaches a certain %, and is consistent with it.
Reply 18
Not sure, probably my mother.

Reply 19
Haha, you just say the obvious. stuff ive clearly heard before. its irritating. Sorry Its9am. been up all night sorting stuff out on my server. Don't mean to be obnoxious.

Latest