The Student Room Group

I feel like my disability is not going to get me anywhere.

I have been down the dumps for a while now over how deaf I actually am, even with hearing aids which are useless and the NHS will not change them due to the cuts so I'm currently saving for a private aid. I have severe to profound hearing loss, and I am constantly struggling and receive no support from anyone.

At work, I was going to be a team leader but when I couldn't hear the fire alarm or the residents buzzers, I had to change my application and downgrade to housekeeping instead because of the scary thought of not hearing a vital sound.

I am capable to do jobs properly and I would love to go down the admin route at some point then maybe social work for senior citizens, but I just feel isolated and very withdrawn because I am unable to participate in conversations and talking on the telephone is a really big struggle even with aids. I don't know what to do. I am depressed working as a housekeeper in a low paid dead end job and I am at university, wondering if its all a waste of time cos in the end even looking for a job is still going to limit my expectations because between me and someone with the same degree and grade, obviously they will choose hearing person over a deaf one :frown: sorry just feel down.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear that :frown: try not to get too down, I will never understand how it feels like to be in your situation, but I'm sure there are options out there for you, it may just be harder, but you've got to try to keep fighting. Employers can't reject you because your deaf, in actual fact it looks good on employers to have disabled workers, so as long as you can do the job your deafness shouldn't be too much of an influencing factor, just maybe will have to fight more to prove it. Seems so unfair that there is no support for someone like you who's clearly struggling :mad:, but don't think that your degree will be pointless, it is definitely not. Is there any counselling service at your university at all that maybe you could see? Just thinking that it would be hard to fight if you're feeling depressed a lot of the time because of your situation.
Hope things get better :smile:
If you can't hear the fire alarm, did you ever apply for access to work? They should have supplied you with one that vibrates.
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
Sorry to hear that :frown: try not to get too down, I will never understand how it feels like to be in your situation, but I'm sure there are options out there for you, it may just be harder, but you've got to try to keep fighting. Employers can't reject you because your deaf, in actual fact it looks good on employers to have disabled workers, so as long as you can do the job your deafness shouldn't be too much of an influencing factor, just maybe will have to fight more to prove it. Seems so unfair that there is no support for someone like you who's clearly struggling :mad:, but don't think that your degree will be pointless, it is definitely not. Is there any counselling service at your university at all that maybe you could see? Just thinking that it would be hard to fight if you're feeling depressed a lot of the time because of your situation.
Hope things get better :smile:

Thank you for your reply! It has made me feel a lot better :smile: I have a meeting with the disability team next week at uni to see what they say. I am not looking for a miracle but just for a chance, really. I know it will be a lot harder but I will get there in the end! Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
If you can't hear the fire alarm, did you ever apply for access to work? They should have supplied you with one that vibrates.

I wasn't aware I had the option at the time. I honestly thought that they only provide if you work as an administrator or something because of the communication on the phones, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I have been down the dumps for a while now over how deaf I actually am, even with hearing aids which are useless and the NHS will not change them due to the cuts so I'm currently saving for a private aid. I have severe to profound hearing loss, and I am constantly struggling and receive no support from anyone.

At work, I was going to be a team leader but when I couldn't hear the fire alarm or the residents buzzers, I had to change my application and downgrade to housekeeping instead because of the scary thought of not hearing a vital sound.

I am capable to do jobs properly and I would love to go down the admin route at some point then maybe social work for senior citizens, but I just feel isolated and very withdrawn because I am unable to participate in conversations and talking on the telephone is a really big struggle even with aids. I don't know what to do. I am depressed working as a housekeeper in a low paid dead end job and I am at university, wondering if its all a waste of time cos in the end even looking for a job is still going to limit my expectations because between me and someone with the same degree and grade, obviously they will choose hearing person over a deaf one :frown: sorry just feel down.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that! It can be so daunting to know that something beyond your control prevents you from doing a lot. It needn't be like this though.

Well since you're at university you should realise that this isn't going to be a job for life. It'll just pay the bills for now & I'm sure you have a lot of better things waiting to unfold in the near future. I was going to suggest that perhaps you should contact some charities which may be able to help fund your hearing aids (this is an assumption, but I'm sure there will be many out there that could help). What sort of degree are you doing? And how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

You can always PM me if you wish to speak about this :smile:
Original post by SA-1
Hey, I'm sorry to hear that! It can be so daunting to know that something beyond your control prevents you from doing a lot. It needn't be like this though.

Well since you're at university you should realise that this isn't going to be a job for life. It'll just pay the bills for now & I'm sure you have a lot of better things waiting to unfold in the near future. I was going to suggest that perhaps you should contact some charities which may be able to help fund your hearing aids (this is an assumption, but I'm sure there will be many out there that could help). What sort of degree are you doing? And how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

You can always PM me if you wish to speak about this :smile:

Thank you. I am not sure if there is funding for private hearing aids, but I am saving up bit by bit any way just to get them in the near future. I am doing a Social Sciences degree and I am 22. Thank you x :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you. I am not sure if there is funding for private hearing aids, but I am saving up bit by bit any way just to get them in the near future. I am doing a Social Sciences degree and I am 22. Thank you x :smile:

So you're in your final year now? That's cool, have you looked at any potential graduate jobs recently? Where would you like to work? I think a lot of places want to push their equals opportunities and really encourage people with disabilities as such to apply. I think you should definitely look in to some, perhaps try applying now and if you get interviews, go to them just to practice. It'll put you in a better place to apply next year :smile:
Original post by SA-1
So you're in your final year now? That's cool, have you looked at any potential graduate jobs recently? Where would you like to work? I think a lot of places want to push their equals opportunities and really encourage people with disabilities as such to apply. I think you should definitely look in to some, perhaps try applying now and if you get interviews, go to them just to practice. It'll put you in a better place to apply next year :smile:

Oh no, I am in my first year lol :smile: I am looking into volunteering with Citizens Advice to build more knowledge and skills and probably work within that sector later on in life, I am still a bit undecided on what to do but I know that with the degree I am doing it will open more doors for me than anything else ever will.
Reply 9
Oh no, I am in my first year lol :smile: I am looking into volunteering with Citizens Advice to build more knowledge and skills and probably work within that sector later on in life, I am still a bit undecided on what to do but I know that with the degree I am doing it will open more doors for me than anything else ever will.

Oh my bad, sorry :smile:

Yup that's a good step. Try get as many different placements as possible, you may come across people that're willing to open more doors for you. I found this when I was doing a lot of work experience, there are people out there that genuinely want to help.

Again, if you need any support or just want a chat - just PM me, I'll be happy to do what I can :smile:
Original post by SA-1
Oh my bad, sorry :smile:

Yup that's a good step. Try get as many different placements as possible, you may come across people that're willing to open more doors for you. I found this when I was doing a lot of work experience, there are people out there that genuinely want to help.

Again, if you need any support or just want a chat - just PM me, I'll be happy to do what I can :smile:

That's OK :smile: Yeah I do hope so! I want to volunteer somewhere that will secure me a job later on in life because I know that I will have a higher chance of doing it that way. Thank you so much for your help and advice! I very much appreciate it. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending