The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan nowhere near enough

Before you all moan at me to "GeT a JoB!1!":
1) I am disabled but apparently not disabled enough to receive any real help from sfe/dsa
2) Balancing a job and a physics degree would be very difficult even for somebody who isn't disabled.

Because of my parents' income, I will only get the minimum SFE loan, which isn't even enough for the cheapest accommodation at the universities I'm looking at. The trouble is I don't see a penny from my parents! They're over £200,000 in debt and are remortgaging the house because they can't pay for that either. What I get from SFE will be all that I get. Because of their income, I probably won't qualify for any bursaries too. There's nobody who can help me out or lend me money to get me through. What the hell am I supposed to do? Will SFE even hear me out if I talk to them about it? Probably not!

I'm forced to consider not even going to university now because I won't be able to afford to live. As much as I hate to admit it I feel very resentful of my parents right now for getting themselves and now me into this situation. I wish they could've been more responsible because now the only way for me to go to university is if I get into debt just like them! Going for the minimum accommodation in itself and sharing bathrooms will be very difficult for me because I have severe anxiety, but now I can't even afford that. This all feels so unfair. I worked so hard to go to university.
Your choices are:
- Demonstrate that you have been financially independent for 36 months before the start of your course
- marry/civil partner a fellow student in a similar situation and you’ll both be assessed as each other’s household income
- be orphaned
- be irreconcilably estranged (as in zero contact with evidence from a professional to confirm it) from both parents
- have a child or adopt a child
- wait until your over 25

The top 2 are the most practical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending