The Student Room Group

Is having girls-only university sexism?

TOKYO - A man seeking entrance to a women's university in Fukuoka, southwestern Japan, filed a damages lawsuit Monday, arguing the public college's rejection of his application amounts to gender discrimination and is unconstitutional.

In a complaint filed with the Fukuoka District Court, the man in his 20s is demanding Fukuoka Women's University accept his entry application and pay 660,000 yen (about 183,500 baht) in compensation.
It is the first time in Japan that a lawsuit has been filed against a national or public women's university questioning its constitutionality, according to the man's lawyer.

The complaint says the man, who wants to be a dietitian and managerial dietitian, submitted an application in November last year to take an entrance exam for the college's department of nutrition and health science.

The college refused to accept his application, saying it only admits entrance to women, according to the complaint.
Fukuoka Women's University is the only national or public university in Fukuoka Prefecture that offers courses to obtain certification for a nutritionist and qualification to sit an exam to become a managerial dietitian.

"A public university is a public entity that is being maintained by tax," the man said in his complaint. "If my application is rejected, the path to become a dietitian would be narrow as I will be forced to go to a university outside the prefecture or a private college."
The man argues the university's decision violates the constitution, which stipulates the principle of equality and the right to receive an education.
The university declined to comment, saying it has not received the complaint.

Currently there are four national or public women's universities in Japan, including Fukuoka Women's University.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/458028/rejected-man-sues-women-college

Scroll to see replies

well yes to me its sexist.
yes. Why is there any need for a women only university? Are there men only universities there? Both are unnacceptable imo if the latter also exists
Original post by silverbolt
well yes to me its sexist.

Why is it any more sexist than having an all girls school or all boys school? Just out of interest?

Disclaimer: I don't think single sex schools should be a thing
I suspect it would be illegal under UK/European anti-discimination laws.

When I was at school (and I assume it hasn't changed since then) Maidstone Grammar School for Girls accepted boys in the sixth form, I bet lots of other 'single sex in name' places do too.
That's the definition of sexism. Well done.

Unless they can prove every single one of their female applicants is better suited to the place than the male ones it is sexism. Oh wait, they don't even try to do that because they just told him "no, we just don't accept males".
Original post by TorpidPhil
That's the definition of sexism. Well done.

Unless they can prove every single one of their female applicants is better suited to the place than the male ones it is sexism. Oh wait, they don't even try to do that because they just told him "no, we just don't accept males".

Witty :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Reply 7
No, it isn't. Sexism would be having a mixed school but only taking girls, or giving unfair preference to them. The university has 'women' in the name, thus it is evidently a single-sex university, regardless of whether men apply or not.

Not everyone needs to be part of everything just because the other sex is doing it.
Original post by Arkasia
No, it isn't. Sexism would be having a mixed school but only taking girls, or giving unfair preference to them. The university has 'women' in the name, thus it is evidently a single-sex university, regardless of whether men apply or not.

Not everyone needs to be part of everything just because the other sex is doing it.

The university is the only one that offers this particular course so yes it has to be sexism as men and women should all have equal opportunities.You can say similar things about all schools with some of the moffering better facilities and teachers yet only allowing girls/boys, the whoel idea of single sex schools is sexist it segregates people based only on their sex and limits the opportunities of those of the opposite sex.Unless you can guarantee practically identical services at both schools then it is sexist and since this course isn't offered elsewhere this is definetley sexism.
If they try to shut down all-boy's schools while opening all-women's unit, yes it's sexism.
Original post by Dalek1099
The university is the only one that offers this particular course so yes it has to be sexism as men and women should all have equal opportunities.You can say similar things about all schools with some of the moffering better facilities and teachers yet only allowing girls/boys, the whoel idea of single sex schools is sexist it segregates people based only on their sex and limits the opportunities of those of the opposite sex.Unless you can guarantee practically identical services at both schools then it is sexist and since this course isn't offered elsewhere this is definetley sexism.

It is not a human right to be able to study your chosen course at university level, it is a luxury offered by those who have expertise in the area. Equal opportunities applies to any and all situations that involve similar treatment, unless when a distinction or exception may be cited. This university is a single-sex place of learning, and this one exception is not enough to force it to change en-masse. If it did allow that male to study, then it would have set a precedent, and would soon have to completely change it's policies in its entirety, which it obviously does not want to do.

Although your atrocious spelling makes me think you are a troll, so either way, agree to disagree.
Original post by Arkasia
It is not a human right to be able to study your chosen course at university level, it is a luxury offered by those who have expertise in the area. Equal opportunities applies to any and all situations that involve similar treatment, unless when a distinction or exception may be cited. This university is a single-sex place of learning, and this one exception is not enough to force it to change en-masse. If it did allow that male to study, then it would have set a precedent, and would soon have to completely change it's policies in its entirety, which it obviously does not want to do.

Although your atrocious spelling makes me think you are a troll, so either way, agree to disagree.

You are basically advocating sexism why can't someone say it is a luxury to offer education thus we can up single-sex male universities representing 100% of all universities and girl's won't be able to study and they shouldn't be allowed to study as they will be a single-sex place of learning and it is a luxury to get such education in ther first place.Initially pretty much all universities and a lot of educational courses were only available to men due to sexism in society thats where the concept of single-sex colleges/universities orignated from.There is no need to have any single-sex universities in the 21st century, everyone should be entitled to the same opportunities regardless of gender there may be an argument for allowing single-sex universities only if a very similar experience/course is available elsewhere.
Original post by redferry
Why is it any more sexist than having an all girls school or all boys school? Just out of interest?

Disclaimer: I don't think single sex schools should be a thing

Because those schools will accept the other gender.
You are basically advocating sexism why can't someone say it is a luxury to offer education thus we can up single-sex male universities representing 100% of all universities and girl's won't be able to study and they shouldn't be allowed to study as they will be a single-sex place of learning and it is a luxury to get such education in ther first place.Initially pretty much all universities and a lot of educational courses were only available to men due to sexism in society thats where the concept of single-sex colleges/universities orignated from.There is no need to have any single-sex universities in the 21st century, everyone should be entitled to the same opportunities regardless of gender there may be an argument for allowing single-sex universities only if a very similar experience/course is available elsewhere.

Of course, because I don't cry out for blood at the thought of a place of higher education being the only university offering the course, I must be ''basically" advocating sexism. How about this, instead of following the same backwards, reductive logic modern liberalism is famous for by shutting this down, why do we not just ask them to open the course in a mixed or male-only university? Not only would that solve the problem for the males who want to do the course, but it would also result in two courses, instead of none.
3 colleges of the University of Cambridge are women only.
Original post by Arkasia
Of course, because I don't cry out for blood at the thought of a place of higher education being the only university offering the course, I must be ''basically" advocating sexism. How about this, instead of following the same backwards, reductive logic modern liberalism is famous for by shutting this down, why do we not just ask them to open the course in a mixed or male-only university? Not only would that solve the problem for the males who want to do the course, but it would also result in two courses, instead of none.

I would prefer that the course was opened to male and females much rather than not having it at all was that not clear in my post?They probably could accept males in exceptional circumstances for unusual courses with a footnote on their website or something it would save a lot of hassle, embarassment and potentially money if thwe guy wins the court battle.
They should really allow men in if it's the only place offering the course. All else is just vindictiveness. There would be pressure at the very least to do that if it were a male-only institution, even way back in the 1970s when such things still existed.

Women's only universities may be a useful tool if in Japan there is a wide gender gap going to university - especially as in a stagnant economy like theirs it's get qualified or die.

Someone mentioned the Cambridge women's-only colleges; they are completely indefensible in an age where 60% of women go to uni. Why not a poor people's college? (Well, not that, but admission policies that amount to the same thing?)
Reply 17
Original post by freedom
Because those schools will accept the other gender.

Since when?

Original post by Arkasia

I would prefer that the course was opened to male and females much rather than not having it at all was that not clear in my post?They probably could accept males in exceptional circumstances for unusual courses with a footnote on their website or something it would save a lot of hassle, embarassment and potentially money if thwe guy wins the court battle.

Original post by scrotgrot
They should really allow men in if it's the only place offering the course.

It's not the only place offering the course. That much is obvious from the OP.
Original post by Ronove
Since when?

It's not the only place offering the course. That much is obvious from the OP.

Since when?
Are you an actual idiot?
I know many guys who went to an all girls school?
for example my friend NICK GRIFFIN was one of two boys in a all girls school.
Reply 19
I hear "Women only university" and all I think is girls having pillow fights in their lingerie.

Quick Reply

Latest