The Student Room Group

Chemistry what sort of work experince is necessary?

I was wondering what sort of work experience one would need to get into a Russel group institute, I always see on here people who wish to read medicine talking about how much work experience they have to do, is a similar amount required for the chemists to be? Or as it is less competitive do universities not really care about work experience.
Reply 1
Original post by slg60
I was wondering what sort of work experience one would need to get into a Russel group institute, I always see on here people who wish to read medicine talking about how much work experience they have to do, is a similar amount required for the chemists to be? Or as it is less competitive do universities not really care about work experience.

Doesn't matter. Majority of candidates won't have work experience, as it's rather difficult to get. If you can find any, then grab it with both hands and go for it, but many labs aren't particularly happy or insured to take on young students, and not everyone lives near places that will too - compared to medicine where hospitals and doctor's surgeries are accessible to the majority of communities. Medicine is significantly more competitive than chemistry.

I read a couple of books, and talked about those, and that was about it. Some people do the summer camps (like the Oxbridge experiences, Sutton Trust etc.) but they're certainly not expected.

The main thing is: are you interested, and reasonably capable.
Reply 2
Original post by slg60

I wouldn't worry about work experience for Chemistry. It's more about the reading you do- and the things you contribute in your school towards chemistry e.g. attending lectures outside of the classroom etc.
I didn't do work experience for Chemistry but I still got offers from Russell groups e.g. imperial, UCL, warwick, Nottingham, leeds
Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by cookiess
I wouldn't worry about work experience for Chemistry. It's more about the reading you do- and the things you contribute in your school towards chemistry e.g. attending lectures outside of the classroom etc.
I didn't do work experience for Chemistry but I still got offers from Russell groups e.g. imperial, UCL, warwick, Nottingham, leeds
Good luck!

Thank you! So where did you go? :P
Reply 4
Original post by slg60
Thank you! So where did you go? :P

Well I applied to Imperial, UCL, warwick, Nottingham and leeds without this ''work experience'' and I got offers from all of them haha. I go to Southampton now tho cause I didn't make the grades...
Reply 5
Original post by cookiess
Well I applied to Imperial, UCL, warwick, Nottingham and leeds without this ''work experience'' and I got offers from all of them haha. I go to Southampton now tho cause I didn't make the grades...

Ah well that is still a good institute! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending