The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scowley12
My point is world university rankings are utterly useless ... They are almost exactly the same year to year because 90 percent of the score is just based on prestige

Exactly tbh the only reliable rankings are the complete university guide.
Original post by boods8897
What is anyone going to put as their insurance? Another Medicine one or the non medicine one?

Only medicine if the grades are different, like if I'm lucky enough to get an offer from Keele (A*AB) :smile:
[QUOTE="sergue;53748507"]Ucl or imperial - which is better ??[/QUOTE

Dude in all honesty don't pick medical schools based on which one is better because there are so many different categories from which to grade a medical school: teaching methods, staff:student ratio, student satisfaction, feedback, nightlife, academics, opportunities beyond the MBBS degree, degree of clinical experience, which hospitals you get to work at after year 3 and more. In the case of UCL and Imperial, from what I've read and talked to people about UCL seems a lot funner and has a better balance of clinical and academic work, whereas Imperial seems a lot more stressful, more work and for the first 3 years it's very academic. However, in the clinical years for Imperial you get to work at some of the top London hospitals like Chelsea/West, Hammersmith, Charing Cross and St Mary's but with UCL it's ones like Royal Free, Barnet and Chase Farm (still good but Chase Farm and Barnet are quite rural). I'd say when deciding on ur medical school answer these 2 questions:

1. Which one will train me to be the best doctor I can be?
2. Which one will I hav the happiest 5-6 years of my life at?

The medical school that fulfils both these questions in the best way is ur med school. Happy choosing!!!
Original post by Master219
But they have prestige because theyre good unis... tbh, i wouldnt choose by the league tables anyways, more of where i would like to go as oppose to it being well known

Yeah which is what I was saying in the original post , that it's too subjective to just base on leauge tables
Original post by Scowley12
Yeah which is what I was saying in the original post , that it's too subjective to just base on leauge tables

Yup agreed.
Finally at the end of my application process!!! :biggrin: just the waiting game now!

what's everyone's application process looking like.. waiting to be interviewed, waiting for offers, waiting to be invited to interview etc.
Original post by zedxy123
Exactly tbh the only reliable rankings are the complete university guide.

For medicine specifically? You are surely joking.

The most heavily weighted factor in that league table is employment prospects. Universities can crash down the table by having 99% rather than 100%, figures that are all statistical anomalies anyway because as we all know employment after successful completion of the course is (currently) guaranteed.

Other league tables aren't that much better of course, but if you are going to insist on using any be certain its not that one!
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="Haider302;53754689"]
Original post by sergue
Ucl or imperial - which is better ??[/QUOTE

Dude in all honesty don't pick medical schools based on which one is better because there are so many different categories from which to grade a medical school: teaching methods, staff:student ratio, student satisfaction, feedback, nightlife, academics, opportunities beyond the MBBS degree, degree of clinical experience, which hospitals you get to work at after year 3 and more. In the case of UCL and Imperial, from what I've read and talked to people about UCL seems a lot funner and has a better balance of clinical and academic work, whereas Imperial seems a lot more stressful, more work and for the first 3 years it's very academic. However, in the clinical years for Imperial you get to work at some of the top London hospitals like Chelsea/West, Hammersmith, Charing Cross and St Mary's but with UCL it's ones like Royal Free, Barnet and Chase Farm (still good but Chase Farm and Barnet are quite rural). I'd say when deciding on ur medical school answer these 2 questions:

1. Which one will train me to be the best doctor I can be?
2. Which one will I hav the happiest 5-6 years of my life at?

The medical school that fulfils both these questions in the best way is ur med school. Happy choosing!!!

Barnet and Chase Farm are suburban... Not rural, it's not the countryside hehe!

Also, all med schools are good, or else they wouldn't have GMC accreditation! Pick where you want to go and where you'll perform the best... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="LittleDonkey;53772009"]
Original post by Haider302

Barnet and Chase Farm are suburban... Not rural, it's not the countryside hehe!

Also, all med schools are good, or else they wouldn't have GMC accreditation! Pick where you want to go and where you'll perform the best... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, lol.
What would people choose between Bristol or Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Just got my 3rd offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liv_97
Just got my 3rd offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats, where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by blissfully
congrats, where from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Southampton :smile: my other two are Leeds and Leicester, just waiting on Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
New to posting on TSR today, but have been following lots of medicine related threads for months.

So happy and relieved to have received an offer from Cardiff today at 5pm by email - track apparently not going to update until March.
Original post by Liv_97
Thank you!
Southampton :smile: my other two are Leeds and Leicester, just waiting on Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask what you got at AS and GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liv_97
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow 3 offers is damn impressive :biggrin:
Reply 116
Original post by Devilfinger101
Can I ask what you got at AS and GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs were 10 a* and 1 a, AS levels were AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Original post by blissfully
wow 3 offers is damn impressive :biggrin:

Haha I'm so surprised by it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanishasharma
Thanks, but do you know of anything that will provide a personalised service that will match an individual’s statistics to every university and tell you where you are most likely to get an interview, rather than you doing all this research yourself (even if it costs a bit)?

No , and there are many good resources on here that could help with that ... Not to mention that would be the height of laziness ! Use the student rooms medicine entry requirement thread / page and the UKCat one and you can see which unis you are most likely to get an interview from. What are your stats ... I'm sure people on here could help
Alright lets get this thread rolling after 5 days... anyone going to isc medical interview course tomoro?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending