The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HenryHiddler
We shouldn't be sending everyone to university. Not everyone is cut out for it, not everyone is smart enough, and not everyone will get much out of it. We still need people to fix leaky pipes and roofs, to mow the lawn, to drive your kids to school on the bus. If you want to go to a trade school to be an auto mechanic, and that's your thing, more power to you. Do what you love and do it well. If you want to get a job straight away instead of continuing your education, you should be able to do that, without scorn or unsolicited "advice" encouraging you to go study somewhere you don't want to go, taking on debt you may not be able to repay. The push to send everyone to university no matter what is ridiculous. I believe everyone should have an equal opportunity to go to university, but they definitely shouldn't be failures if they can't or don't want to.

Agreed. When I was doing GCSEs / 6th form, it seemed like uni was the only option. We weren't told of any other option out there. I do think that we do need to inform students of the other options out there. Uni isn't for everyone and neither are A levels.
Original post by reallydontknow
Why then can you be charged for drunk driving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel to climb into the driver's seat should be an offence as there is intent to do something which could harm. What I'm saying is in my opinion there's a blurred line between your real intentions and the influence of alcohol in changing your decisions.
Original post by desdemonata
Hang on now, does raising a child not cost money anymore? When did that happen... Last I checked raising a child is actually one of the most costly things a couple can decide to do. Google "average cost raising a child UK" and tell me the figures you see aren't staggering.

Please. Tell me how you plan to raise your child solely on "human compassion", on the streets in a cardboard box?

I agree with that person, you can talk money but humans are living creatures with emotions, not machines.

It's not a case of just throwing money at them, it takes a very human skill to raise a human.

I also believe that being able to have a child is the most basic of human rights, who should dictate whether anyone else can or can't do that? Sounds highly draconian to me.
Original post by Tom78
I feel to climb into the driver's seat should be an offence as there is intent to do something which could harm. What I'm saying is in my opinion there's a blurred line between your real intentions and the influence of alcohol in changing your decisions.

So, why then, can you not consent to sex when drunk, because you surely have intent to have sex, knowing you may regret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
So, why then, can you not consent to sex when drunk, because you surely have intent to have sex, knowing you may regret it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it would make rape easier to defend, if we all just assume that "of course he/she wanted it", "they'd had a few drinks". You're not in a state of mind to think about regret. It alters your state of mind.

People could also easily be coerced into sex by another influencing party, you're more persuadable when you've had a few, we all know that.
Original post by Tom78
Because it would make rape easier to defend, if we all just assume that "of course he/she wanted it", "they'd had a few drinks". You're not in a state of mind to think about regret. It alters your state of mind.

People could also easily be coerced into sex by another influencing party, you're more persuadable when you've had a few, we all know that.

Rape by the UKs legal definition anyway.

If you are drunk and you don't want it you can still say no. If it continues past that then it is rape (or sexual harassment if it's not actually penetrative sex yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
That people are offended far too easily, and expect me to apologise for my opinions and thoughts if they are offended.

You dont like what I'm saying, ignore it or dont listen, you dont like the message in a song, dont listen to it. You dont like what a scientist is wearing, keep that opinion to yourself.

People are far too easily offended, and we've perpetuated a society that seems to give people who are offended a moral high ground as if being offended is worth something, its not. In the words of stephen fry, you're offended? So what.

Suck it up, deal with it and stop whining like an annoying little child. Im not going to apologise for my views because they differ to yours, and if you're offended by that, thats your issue, not mine.
Original post by Tom78

We all know there is a different standard for men when it comes to drunk sex. If a man and a woman are equally drunk and have consensual sex, it is only the woman who can claim to be the victim if rape. Spare us the whole 'he/she' phraseology. We know it's just 'she'.

I think you missed the point by saying it would make rape easier to defend. I am saying that it wouldn't be rape at all, if she consented to the sex prior to and when it happened. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "of course she wanted it" as though that's wrong. We are not arguing over whether this hypothetical woman wanted sex or not, because we know that at the time, she most certainly did if she gave her full consent. We are arguing whether that consent was true consent. I believe the consent is just as true as if it were a drunk man consenting to sex.

You said it yourself, one may not be in a state of mind, whilst drunk, to think about feelings regret after they sober up. Why then, should someone else take the blame, and potentially have their life ruined, for a mistake that you made, albeit whilst drunk. Feminists talk about displaying female strength. Where is strength being displayed by palming responsibility for your own mistakes on to someone else?
Of course this is assuming that the woman does later regret it, which many don't. Many women love going out, getting drunk and sleeping with strangers, and don't regret a thing. They don't need people like you telling them that they're the victim of a heinous crime.
As for them being more easily coerced, shouldn't that be the wrong doing? The fact that a man coerced a woman to have sex with him? That would be the case whether she was drunk or not. Remove alcohol from the equation and coercing someone to have sex with you it still wrong.
It should not be a rule that a woman who is drunk is completely compromised, and has no decision making powers when it comes to sex. You make a mistake whilst drunk, accept it and move on. Don't blame someone else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom78
Then how are we to eat? Hunt what? Pigeons and Sparrows?

Free the farm animals and eat on your own.
Original post by Nickierose21
Abortion should be illegal.

Why exactly do you think that?
I dislike people that idolize the fake and plastic no personality kim kardashian, all that talentless bitch has done is make a sex tape and these people worship her, and try to aspire to be her fake figure.

Furthermore most of these people don't even know their local politician (BBC Three documentary, 2015) and then wonder why "the system is corrupt" because none of you fools participate in the things that really matter.
Original post by Blazar
Why exactly do you think that?

Because it's murder and not a part of a woman's body.
There should be no laws prohibiting drugs. I don't care if someone wants to spend all day smoking crack. But I don't want them taking up one of the limited spaces in our prisons for doing so.
I don't think hip hop is ready for open homosexuality.

I prefer new school rap to old school rap. The instrumentals are better, and rappers sound different now compared to the old days. I can't stand the monotone voice of some so called legends of hip-hop like Biggie for example. Lyrically, obviously he's a genius, but in terms of music, I don't like listening to his voice and the instrumentals are dead.

I don't think these are my most controversial views, these are just off the top of my head.
Original post by Guren
I dislike people that idolize the fake and plastic no personality kim kardashian, all that talentless bitch has done is make a sex tape and these people worship her, and try to aspire to be her fake figure.

Furthermore most of these people don't even know their local politician (BBC Three documentary, 2015) and then wonder why "the system is corrupt" because none of you fools participate in the things that really matter.

I idolise Kim Kardashian because she made a multi-million dollar business out of a sex tape and having a semi-famous father. Not many people have the entrepreneurial skills to be able to do that.

My local politician is Douglas Carswell. I voted Green though...
Original post by Nickierose21
Because it's murder and not a part of a woman's body.

Is it murder if a woman has her period without getting pregnant?
I guess mine would be that one of the reasons for the rise of allergies is the fact that parents don't let their kids get dirty and experience microorganisms at a young age. And that kids should get a bigger variety of foods early in life to prevent allergies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by allforza2
I guess mine would be that one of the reasons for the rise of allergies is the fact that parents don't let their kids get dirty and experience microorganisms at a young age. And that kids should get a bigger variety of foods early in life to prevent allergies

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the food one there is actually evidence for the opposite, and giving babies before 6 months a variety of solid foods or foods not easy enough for them to break down could trigger allergies due to them not being able to break down the molecules enough causing larger molecules to enter the blood stream creating an immune response.
Original post by Jackoclypse
Dyslexia isn't real

What makes you think that? Do you understand what dyslexia is?
Original post by Asklepios
It's a disorder of reproduction, specifically sexual attraction. It is clearly not a choice, and many studies have implicated a genetic component. Some would argue that a certain proportion of the population being gay actually confers overall reproductive benefit (something to do with demographic stability I'm not quite sure), but other diseases may also be beneficial in some aspects - CF and cholera, Sickle-cell and malaria.

However, what is important is that gay people should still have rights and be treated with respect. Like we don't make fun of the physically disabled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it not being a choice entail that it is a disorder?

Latest