The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
One poor match = Entire new strike force. You fickle bunch.

What we have is enough.

We need a second striker. Welbeck is never enough. Everyone else including giroud is fine though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Even if we had cavani, benzema etc we still conceded 3 goals...
Original post by AR_95
We need a second striker. Welbeck is never enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have faith in Welbeck. He'll come good, he has all the attributes to become a top striker, I'm confident Wenger will develop and improve weak aspects in his game over time.

I wonder how many people said Giroud wasn't good enough after his first season.
I have faith in Welbeck. He'll come good, he has all the attributes to become a top striker, I'm confident Wenger will develop and improve weak aspects in his game over time.

Do you have time to really be developing players like Welbeck, for all the stick they got getting Falcao in, it shows that United don't have time in developing players who are not currently good enough to do the role, all the top teams do that. They're farmed off on loan or sold if they aren't good enough to get into the first team.

If Arsenal have any ambitions of being a top club in european football, players like Welbeck should not be who they are going for in the hope that they develop.

But he has long to go and I dont think he is at the standard to be starting so many games this season. No doubt he will come good in a few years but we shouldn't be signing so many projects when we already have too many.

Essentially I was gob smacked that fans wanted him to start over Walcott and Wenger decided to do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry if this has been posted already but this is gold

meh.. I am glad we brought welbeck - but he should be a squad player who has his specific uses.. and not a first team player starting most games for us.
Welbeck should have been our third choice striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Cba to respond to him anymore tbh

Because you've got nothing.

Typical flip flop u-turn Arsenal fan. Praise Arsene when we win; abuse him when we lose.
Original post by Dr. Django
Even if we had cavani, benzema etc we still conceded 3 goals...

I dont agree with this excuse for not having a WC striker. Put it this way if Giroud finished those 2 chances he had it would mean less pressure on the team and then Monaco would have to change their approach. It's the strikers job to ease pressure from the team by burying his chances. A worldclass striker would have done that.

Look at last season's Liverpool atrocious defending yet look how close they came to winning the league because they had Suarez to bury all the chances and make his own chances easing the pressure of the team. Other teams had to think twice before they attacked Liverpool all out and 2 teams tried. One was everton the other was us. 5-1
Original post by Numan786
I dont agree with this excuse for not having a WC striker. Put it this way if Giroud finished those 2 chances he had it would mean less pressure on the team and then Monaco would have to change their approach. It's the strikers job to ease pressure from the team by burying his chances. A worldclass striker would have done that.

Look at last season's Liverpool atrocious defending yet look how close they came to winning the league because they had Suarez to bury all the chances and make his own chances easing the pressure of the team. Other teams had to think twice before they attacked Liverpool all out and 2 teams tried. One was everton the other was us. 5-1

While we're at it Arsenal pushing high up in order to get an equaliser put you under pressure on counters, one Carrasco should have squared to Silva and the other one he scored from it. Strikers score a goal to make it 1-0 early on or make it 1-1, game on, Monaco are under pressure.
Original post by Stalin

Do you honestly believe that Lauren ****ing Blanc is a better coach/manager/director of football/businessman and has the same experience as Wenger?

Ancelotti replaced Mourinho, but guess who Perez wanted if Carlo turned him down?

It got widely reported that if Carlo Ancelotti didn't leave PSG they were going to get Benitez as the plan B, as he played for the club previously and has good links to Madrid. But go on.
Who did they want if Guardiola rejected their offer?

The French national team want him after every major tournament too.

Highly unlikely it would have been Wenger, if Guardiola rejected their offer they most likely would have stayed with Heynckes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Do you have time to really be developing players like Welbeck, for all the stick they got getting Falcao in, it shows that United don't have time in developing players who are not currently good enough to do the role, all the top teams do that. They're farmed off on loan or sold if they aren't good enough to get into the first team.

If Arsenal have any ambitions of being a top club in european football, players like Welbeck should not be who they are going for in the hope that they develop.

That's just Wenger's managerial style. He's a coach, he enjoys coaching and developing talent. Is it viable to continue to do so? We'll see in at the end of 2016/17 season. Arsenal don't generate the revenue Utd does we literally can't afford to buy/loan expensive flops like Falcao on £150k+.

Buying Welbeck was sound investment. There's a lot more to come from him in the future
That's just Wenger's managerial style. He's a coach, he enjoys coaching and developing talent. Is it viable to continue to do so? We'll see in at the end of 2016/17 season. Arsenal don't generate the revenue Utd does we literally can't afford to buy/loan expensive flops like Falcao on £150k+.

Buying Welbeck was sound investment. There's a lot more to come from him in the future

There is developing talent and there's staying competitive while doing so. So either Wenger changes the style of play to be more pragmatic/hard to play against to utilise the weaker teams like other teams who focus heavily on player development more than getting ready made players(Atlético and Dortmund) or he gets some more ready made players in key positions. He could also do both(like Chelsea/Bayern have done recently) but it seems like Wenger is attempting both but just not at the standard required.

I get you with Welbeck. He has enough in his all round game and his pace alone will create chances for him in the future.
Welbeck is an interesting player, I don't think he is that far off from being a decent striker but he hasn't really made the next step in his development. Its been that case for a number of years. I'm glad we bought him and there's no need to overhaul our strike force but I don't think he will ever be our first choice striker.

The guy reminds a lot of Park Ji-Sung tbh.
Original post by jam277
There is developing talent and there's staying competitive while doing so. So either Wenger changes the style of play to be more pragmatic/hard to play against to utilise the weaker teams like other teams who focus heavily on player development more than getting ready made players(Atlético and Dortmund) or he gets some more ready made players in key positions. He could also do both(like Chelsea/Bayern have done recently) but it seems like Wenger is attempting both but just not at the standard required.

I get you with Welbeck. He has enough in his all round game and his pace alone will create chances for him in the future.

Wenger's plan was always to develop our own talent mainly and then supplement them with international quality. Wenger is trying to build a squad that can challenge is all. I honestly wonder what level the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Welbeck, Theo, Ox and even Akpom, Woj and Gnabry to an extent will be at on the verge of Wenger's last year of his contract. We should have a very strong team with leaders and experience really.

But then again how could we lose to Monaco at home in such a pathetic manner with most of our key players completely fit bar Ramsey. It's a mentality problem tbh I've mentioned this before. The current crop of players are choir boys too mentally weak, they lack the courage and conviction to sustain a real challenge over the season for the CL and PL or affect key moment in games. I think Wenger is to blame for this. There's a reason our best players left they have a different mindset, they wanted to succeed at all costs. They were naturally aggressive and determined in doing so which made them our best players.

I still feel Wenger is as passionate as ever tbh There will come a time, possible on the verge of next season, where he'll be outright ruthless with certain players and the squad.
get venga the **** out already. **** sake
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Why would Benzema leave his comfy first team spot in the best club side in the world to join us? Same with Cavani, he is quickly becoming PSG's foreman with Ibra aging, and in a year or so, he will be the main man. Dybala would be overpriced for what he is worth and capable of, Falcao (lol, we already saw how that went). Martinez and Lacazette are good shouts except every team in Europe would go in for them if they knew they were available, Bacca not so much.
Martinez is available, Porto aren't exactly known for holding onto their players when larger teams come knocking and his release clause has been widely touted, supposedly in the region of £30-35m which Porto will hold out for (or at least a value close to) which is why no one has taken a chance on him. The likes of Costa, Bony, Mandzukic, Higuain etc. all moved for a similar price tag (if not less), had similar/better goalscoring records in superior leagues and are all younger bar Mandzukic who moved for about half the price anyway.
Original post by Nickini
Martinez is available, Porto aren't exactly known for holding onto their players when larger teams come knocking and his release clause has been widely touted, supposedly in the region of £30-35m which Porto will hold out for (or at least a value close to) which is why no one has taken a chance on him. The likes of Costa, Bony, Mandzukic, Higuain etc. all moved for a similar price tag (if not less), had similar/better goalscoring records in superior leagues and are all younger bar Mandzukic who moved for about half the price anyway.

Well we will see which club he goes to, but in the end, buying players isn't going to help us as much as reshuffling training tactics and working on mentality. Our team is already good enough in every position to beat big teams, more than good enough, but we are too naive and too weak-willed. Buying players in won't fix that.
Wenger's plan was always to develop our own talent mainly and then supplement them with international quality. Wenger is trying to build a squad that can challenge is all. I honestly wonder what level the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Welbeck, Theo, Ox and even Akpom, Woj and Gnabry to an extent will be at on the verge of Wenger's last year of his contract. We should have a very strong team with leaders and experience really. .

Could have said (and many people did say) the exact same thing a few years ago about Denilson, Song, Vela, Gibbs, Bendtner, Djourou.

Or even a few years before that with Senderos, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Fabregas, Diaby, Eboue, Adebayor and Hleb.
I don't look at our team and say we're lacking quality players.

I look at our team and say we're lacking quality management.

Same old, same old.

Latest