The Student Room Group

Creative Writing Help please

So I got an A* in a previous creative writing task that we did in year 10 but the head of the English department said we had to do it again.

We've been asked to write a monologue of sorts about a colour and we've been encouraged not to mention the colour at all. I chose white and I was wondering if you have any ideas of things that I could possibly describe.

So far I have:

Snow

Paper

Pills

Hospitals

Bed sheets

Wedding paraphernalia

but I'm struggling on how to incorporate these things in a way that it flows well.
Original post by AnotherAbi
So I got an A* in a previous creative writing task that we did in year 10 but the head of the English department said we had to do it again.

We've been asked to write a monologue of sorts about a colour and we've been encouraged not to mention the colour at all. I chose white and I was wondering if you have any ideas of things that I could possibly describe.

So far I have:

Snow

Paper

Pills

Hospitals

Bed sheets

Wedding paraphernalia

but I'm struggling on how to incorporate these things in a way that it flows well.

Easiest links I can see there are for a hospital patient (pills, hospitals, bed sheets, paper on forms/patient details). Could be interesting to write from that perspective, someone who has nothing to do but eat, sleep and watch whatever goes on around them? Other white things around that theme: doctor/nurse uniforms, hospital stip lighting, maybe privacy curtains, very pale skin (if people are ill?) Ceilings could be blank white, which could be a feature if a character is lying in bed.

How long is the task supposed to be, and is it supposed to be more narrative or descriptive, or does it not matter?

Maybe to incorporate other themes you could have the patient remember other things based on surroundings?

Feel free to incorporate as much or as little as you like, and good luck!
Reply 2
Snow seeped into the room where I sat patiently for my turn, papers everywhere and I'm expected to note down all I see. I see the pills in his for pocket. They seem pretty forbiddening and I feel a sudden urge to remove them from him. I'm undercover and dressed as a normal guy but the brains that lie beneath my cap are enough to help Sherlock Holmes in his mysterious discoveries. The hospital telephone rings through the chilly air. I hear the message and get up to see the patients. Walking along the dusty floors I see a patient sigh and give a silent prayer to his beloved. His bed sheets were covered in blood and I feel the sadness that expels from him. I hear him tell her the final wedding paraphernalia had been signed but she had left him alone doomed by the war. WE WERE ALONE!
Reply 3
Original post by Banana Bread
Easiest links I can see there are for a hospital patient (pills, hospitals, bed sheets, paper on forms/patient details). Could be interesting to write from that perspective, someone who has nothing to do but eat, sleep and watch whatever goes on around them? Other white things around that theme: doctor/nurse uniforms, hospital stip lighting, maybe privacy curtains, very pale skin (if people are ill?) Ceilings could be blank white, which could be a feature if a character is lying in bed.

How long is the task supposed to be, and is it supposed to be more narrative or descriptive, or does it not matter?

Maybe to incorporate other themes you could have the patient remember other things based on surroundings?

Feel free to incorporate as much or as little as you like, and good luck!

I only have the double English lesson which is an hour and a half. Thanks so much for the ideas!

Original post by study...
Snow seeped into the room where I sat patiently for my turn, papers everywhere and I'm expected to note down all I see. I see the pills in his for pocket. They seem pretty forbiddening and I feel a sudden urge to remove them from him. I'm undercover and dressed as a normal guy but the brains that lie beneath my cap are enough to help Sherlock Holmes in his mysterious discoveries. The hospital telephone rings through the chilly air. I hear the message and get up to see the patients. Walking along the dusty floors I see a patient sigh and give a silent prayer to his beloved. His bed sheets were covered in blood and I feel the sadness that expels from him. I hear him tell her the final wedding paraphernalia had been signed but she had left him alone doomed by the war. WE WERE ALONE!

Loving the use of all the points! :biggrin:
What about using the snow idea but incorporating white monsters? A yeti? A wendigo (they are wintry creatures who bring blizzards and snow with them wherever they go)? Even natural predator like a polar bear? A "white" ghost? A vampire's pale white skin?

Perhaps somebody is in the arctic. Igloos and so on. They might encounter the terrible creatures above.

And so on.
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
What about using the snow idea but incorporating white monsters? A yeti? A wendigo (they are wintry creatures who bring blizzards and snow with them wherever they go)? Even natural predator like a polar bear? A "white" ghost? A vampire's pale white skin?

Perhaps somebody is in the arctic. Igloos and so on. They might encounter the terrible creatures above.

And so on.

Good idea!! :yes: I'll try find a way to include it. Briefly looked into Wengido's and they're quite ghastly things and I think I'll be able to work it in.
Original post by AnotherAbi

So far I have:

Snow

Paper

Pills

Hospitals

Bed sheets

Wedding paraphernalia

To be honest this task is quite limited to ideas and therefore quite difficult to write an awful lot about.Possibly I would respond to the task in a more sophisticated way by writing about the thoughts,feelings and effect the colour 'white' brings out instead of just the things you associate it with.In this case maybe talk about its tendancy to resemble pureness,altruism,those such as jesus by talking about hope(something white is known for).
Reply 7
A corpse is left in a wintry landscape with a handful of pills and pawprint in the snow close by. Men in starched coats come to collect the body and wrap it in a shroud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending