The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

THANK YOU!

No news is good news then... had a few moments of uncertainty there!!!
Original post by dotvicky
THANK YOU!

If you don't receive an email by the end of the day telling you've been withdrawn from the process then there needs not to be any uncertainty. Good luck!
Original post by dotvicky
THANK YOU!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425570201.868183.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that graph nationally or for a specific deanery?
Original post by Kyalimers
Is that graph nationally or for a specific deanery?

National just SJT, not total score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
National just SJT, not total score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks. Could you link me to it by any chance? Can't seem to find that information myself.
Original post by Kyalimers
Ahh thanks. Could you link me to it by any chance? Can't seem to find that information myself.

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/download.asp?file=Understanding_your_SJT_score_FP_2015.pdf

Don't make this stuff easy to find do they.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was also looking for this - couldn't find it anywhere! Thanks :smile:
Reply 368
Hi guys, I have a question as a potential AFP applicant. Do you think there is any realistic chance of getting an AFP in Cambridge with a 2.1 BSc, if the rest of the application is strong? I know it's probably impossible to say but thought people may know / have heard of something like this. Given the strong profiles people here have this seems a bit unachievable now.
Hey there!
I will be starting a Cambridge AFP in Academic Surgery (pending finals obviously) this July. I'd just like to say that I don't think it really matters if one particular aspect of your application is not as strong (2.1 is still excellent!), as long as the overall application shows a commitment to high quality research.

I was very surprised a) to be called to interview and b) to actually get an offer! I am in the 7th decile for my year in medicine, have no publications, but do have first class iBSc, a couple of oral/poster presentations and a prize under my belt. Also, I really think the interview matters a great deal in the end. For Cambridge especially, I think it really helped during interview to know exactly what area of research you are interested in, and how Cambridge can help you with that!

So by all means, if a Cambridge AFP is what you're thinking of, apply! It really is down to your overall app and interview.

I hope this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 370
Hello! I would say if it's what you want to do just go for it :smile:
I'll be started an AFP job in Cambridge this year and I was surprised as well at getting in - I did not have any publications, no masters/phd (which everyone seemed to say you needed!). I had a BMedSci and a couple of posters.

I genuinely think it is a lot about the answers you give to the white space questions - makes sure you read the question and the person specification and try to display as many of these qualities as possible.

Then the interview - again I think Cambridge are more about the person, they know they are brilliant and can teach you to do anything they need, they just want someone who can learn and who is enthusiastic about it.

I had a lot of clinical questions in mine, and hardly any about research techniques (which was most of another interview I had).

Good luck!
I got an offer too, from Cam Neuroscience. I genuinely think it was because of my research, which was in CNS regeneration, which is a strong theme at Cam Neuroscience.

Although my CV is rather competitive, I do not think it's that important. Interview + white box answers are probably more important.
Reply 372
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad it seems they take a holistic view of applicants.

I am applying to Camb for 'educational reasons'- their research themes are studying my area of interest. I don't count my application as weak as such, just my BSc class. I have 8 prizes, a few presentations and a couple of competitive academic scholarships. Hopefully this can win me an interview.
Reply 373
Original post by Huy14
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad it seems they take a holistic view of applicants.

I am applying to Camb for 'educational reasons'- their research themes are studying my area of interest. I don't count my application as weak as such, just my BSc class. I have 8 prizes, a few presentations and a couple of competitive academic scholarships. Hopefully this can win me an interview.

I feel this might be the med school applicant equivalent of saying "i've got 9A*s at GCSE but only an A in English Language will I get in?" :wink: If it helps you've totally terrified me into thinking I don't stand a snow balls chance in hell, and I have a first at BSc!
Can I ask a question about posters? When people say they've done posters, are they based on research you've done yourself, or can they be more review type things? I'm always a bit confused about what a doing a poster is actually meant to involve. Thanks :smile:
Reply 375
Original post by terayrayk
Hey there!
I will be starting a Cambridge AFP in Academic Surgery (pending finals obviously) this July. I'd just like to say that I don't think it really matters if one particular aspect of your application is not as strong (2.1 is still excellent!), as long as the overall application shows a commitment to high quality research.

I was very surprised a) to be called to interview and b) to actually get an offer! I am in the 7th decile for my year in medicine, have no publications, but do have first class iBSc, a couple of oral/poster presentations and a prize under my belt. Also, I really think the interview matters a great deal in the end. For Cambridge especially, I think it really helped during interview to know exactly what area of research you are interested in, and how Cambridge can help you with that!

So by all means, if a Cambridge AFP is what you're thinking of, apply! It really is down to your overall app and interview.

I hope this helps.

Hi I feel I have a similar academic background and undecided whether to apply for academic. Do you know what was the average EPM cut-off for Cambridge last year? Thanks!
Reply 376
Hi I feel I have a similar academic background and undecided whether to apply for academic. Do you know what was the average EPM cut-off for Cambridge last year? Thanks!
Reply 377
Original post by KF99
Congratulations to everyone with offers!

I've got my top choice Edinburgh AFP job

Thrilled!

Hi, I want to apply for AFP in Scotland for 2016, just a quick question about the research themes. Am I correct in assuming for Scotland, there aren't designated research areas like in other places, do you just apply for the clinical rotations? Thanks
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of applying for the Thames AFP. May I ask if any successful 2015 applicants have tips for the white space questions? Struggling a bit.

Mostly behavioural (give an example when...). I think I have good examples but the person spec is quite vague and I'm worried about showing a commitment to research. I've done non medical research in the past, though.

Any top tips would be greatly appreciated - by all of us I'd expect!

Thanks!
Hey did anyone get an interview in LNR or west mids last year? how long did you wait for an interview and how can you prepare for it?

Latest

Trending

Trending