The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Law Offer/Reject

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stychomythia
anyonenobody says "The [UCL] faculty is better ranked [than King's]..." Sorry, this cannot be asserted. Times Higher latest REF results here http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/features/ref-2014-results-by-subject/2017594.article

Click to download pdf, go to category 20, Law. King's placed FIRST.

The very most basic research, anyonenobody, would have shown you could not make that statement. Don't try this in court.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-law

Common sense would tell you that King's is not the best law school in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

You're right. I consider King's top 5 law schools in the UK. Only behind Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and tied with Durham.
Original post by Gabrielxucram
You're right. I consider King's top 5 law schools in the UK. Only behind Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and tied with Durham.

Exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend applied on January 14 and got her offer about a week ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyonenobody; "Common sense would tell you that King's is not the best law school in the UK" Common sense is utterly unreliable as a source of data.

Besides which, common sense needs to be common to all; ask the question of UK law school rankings in a Barrow Shipyard and you'll get an odd look, if you're lucky. By contrast, the REF is compiled using the ranking provided by other legal academics; a more reliable source than any of us here.
anyonenobody; "Common sense would tell you that King's is not the best law school in the UK" Common sense is utterly unreliable as a source of data.

Besides which, common sense needs to be common to all; ask the question of UK law school rankings in a Barrow Shipyard and you'll get an odd look, if you're lucky. By contrast, the REF is compiled using the ranking provided by other legal academics; a more reliable source than any of us here.

Yet you seem to disregard every other ranking that places King's behind Oxford Cambridge LSE UCL and Durham. Look at the links I posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by CiaranAndrew
Yeah I got an offer about two weeks ago! I think i'm going to be firming it :biggrin:

Hey, what grades at AS did you get and with what subjects? Also, what GCSE grades did you get? (if you dont mind me asking!)
Hey guys! I have an offer for llb too! Would love to get to know a few people before getting to London (Yes, I'm an international student) Where's everyone from?
Reply 48
Original post by anyonenobody
Yet you seem to disregard every other ranking that places King's behind Oxford Cambridge LSE UCL and Durham. Look at the links I posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems that both of you have failed to have a meeting of the minds

Stychomythia - You are half right, REF does show King's to be the best in the country but this is only for academic research, you can argue that King's has the best law school in the country but this argument will only cover one aspect of what is a more multi-faceted experience. University life is composed of more than the academic research your lecturers are involved in, unless you're doing postgraduate work there is a chance that the academic research your lecturers are doing will not impact you at all. In this sense KCL may not be considered to the same standard because students may not have had a good university experience because of troubles with administrative staff, halls, or possibly city life in general, negatively impacting the law school's reputation.

Anyonenobody - You are also half right, like I mentioned above, university life is more than just about academic research and to an extent the other rankings that you suggest reflect this, yet with that being said some of the rankings you put forward are not gospel, they're to be taken with a pinch of salt in some cases or with truck loads in others. In case you haven't noticed the Guardian rankings are an absolute joke, no one actually takes them seriously, to suggest that Loughborough is better than LSE or that Coventry is better than Edinburgh is ludicrous; the Guardian rankings rely too much on subjective or arbitrary factors like their value added score out of 10, the same criticism can be made for some of the other rankings you suggested to an extent, but the Guardian is the main culprit. Furthermore there are other factors that these rankings don't consider like the fact that KCL does offer a lot of merit based financial aid for Law students, which in many cases would incentivise someone to take KCL over somewhere else because tuition could be free.
Reply 49
Original post by rennys
i got an offer from KCL before Christmas... Now I am torn between UCL/KCL/Durham.

UCL for sure!
Original post by rennys
i got an offer from KCL before Christmas... Now I am torn between UCL/KCL/Durham.

Hi I have just applied to KCL wnd UCL and have my LNAT on Thursday. I was just wondering about your experience with the LNAT, what you got in it and in your A-levels and where you ended up going etc?

Quick Reply

Latest