The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

People seem to be flagging at this stage. I've turned into a kind of zombie - trying to plod through every day until the end. I can only focus on putting one foot in front of the other at the moment and I'm not even counting down as I'm trying to get through each day at a time.
Original post by Ratchit99
This week has definately been the worst of my pgce. Ive had two truly terrible lessons, a 4A and a 4B (and the 4B was generous) ive totally lost confidence in myself and just feel utterly miserable.

I can only say that it goes in waves and what goes down will also come back up again. This is a difficult time of year. Kids and staff are tired after winter, the exam classes are gearing up for the last lap, Easter still seems a long way off etc etc. You've got past the beginner's luck, honeymoon stage and it has all become a bit real. You will learn how to handle it, but be kind to yourself on the way. Doing anything well takes time. Think of it as a sport. You have to learn the basics and then practise, practise, practise to get to professional standard.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I can only say that it goes in waves and what goes down will also come back up again. This is a difficult time of year. Kids and staff are tired after winter, the exam classes are gearing up for the last lap, Easter still seems a long way off etc etc. You've got past the beginner's luck, honeymoon stage and it has all become a bit real. You will learn how to handle it, but be kind to yourself on the way. Doing anything well takes time. Think of it as a sport. You have to learn the basics and then practise, practise, practise to get to professional standard.

Thanks, i think perhaps i had got cocky, i had had some really good lessons, was averaging 2's with the occasional 3A and this week its all just gone to pot. I had the best lesson ever monday morning, observer had said it was almost a 1 and then this week has just descended into rubbishness. Everyone is staying really positive and saying brush it off but im now terrified that nothing im doing is up to scratch and one teacher in particular doesnt give away anything before hand, theyre always like try it and see :/
Thanks, i think perhaps i had got cocky, i had had some really good lessons, was averaging 2's with the occasional 3A and this week its all just gone to pot. I had the best lesson ever monday morning, observer had said it was almost a 1 and then this week has just descended into rubbishness. Everyone is staying really positive and saying brush it off but im now terrified that nothing im doing is up to scratch and one teacher in particular doesnt give away anything before hand, theyre always like try it and see :/

You're completely normal. Some days things go well from the outset and the next you can't even catch a cold. There's a strange chemistry in classrooms which influences things even when you can't define why. I've been doing the job for 32 years and I have bad days still, as do all teachers, and any who say they don't are in denial or being deliberately cruel to newbies.
You're completely normal. Some days things go well from the outset and the next you can't even catch a cold. There's a strange chemistry in classrooms which influences things even when you can't define why. I've been doing the job for 32 years and I have bad days still, as do all teachers, and any who say they don't are in denial or being deliberately cruel to newbies.

Thanks for the pep talk! think im ready for easter now!
Thanks for the pep talk! think im ready for easter now!

Well, I think we all are! I used to be a mentor for 2 universities and what you are feeling is extremely common amongst not only trainees but also full time staff. Chin up!
Well, I think we all are! I used to be a mentor for 2 universities and what you are feeling is extremely common amongst not only trainees but also full time staff. Chin up!

Thats both good and bad to hear :wink:
Thats both good and bad to hear :wink:

Well, you may as well know the truth.:tongue:
Original post by bonniex123
People seem to be flagging at this stage. I've turned into a kind of zombie - trying to plod through every day until the end. I can only focus on putting one foot in front of the other at the moment and I'm not even counting down as I'm trying to get through each day at a time.

This is how I'm feeling right now and I'm not even on placement! Roll on Easter :smile:
I went to my GP yesterday and he has diagnosed me with anxiety and depression, which he believes may have been triggered by the messing around I have had from this course (I have had episodes of this in the past although I've been fine up until a couple of months ago). He has signed me off for a month and has told me he can give me another note in a months time if I feel I need it. I was meant to be going in today for a meeting with my personal tutor to "discuss options" however I've just sent her an email telling her that I wish to suspended my studies on medical grounds. I'm going to have a think about whether or not I'm going to re-start it somewhere else in September or not; I think my experience has put me off! I'm going to stay at my boyfriend's place for a few days as I really need to get away for a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm definitely hitting the pgce wall of self doubt and worry. I wake up thinking of lessons to do because I'm so worried that pupils will hate me and my classes.

Original post by gemmam
I went to my GP yesterday and he has diagnosed me with anxiety and depression, which he believes may have been triggered by the messing around I have had from this course (I have had episodes of this in the past although I've been fine up until a couple of months ago). He has signed me off for a month and has told me he can give me another note in a months time if I feel I need it. I was meant to be going in today for a meeting with my personal tutor to "discuss options" however I've just sent her an email telling her that I wish to suspended my studies on medical grounds. I'm going to have a think about whether or not I'm going to re-start it somewhere else in September or not; I think my experience has put me off! I'm going to stay at my boyfriend's place for a few days as I really need to get away for a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's awful. You poor thing! Take this time to get yourself rested and try not to think about anything for the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I think I'm definitely hitting the pgce wall of self doubt and worry. I wake up thinking of lessons to do because I'm so worried that pupils will hate me and my classes.

Oh that's awful. You poor thing! Take this time to get yourself rested and try not to think about anything for the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope she still doesn't make me go to that meeting. Its with her and another tutor and I have a feeling its going to be an ambush (as the same happened to another student after she made a complaint about the course) and I don't feel mentally strong enough for that atm. I'm more worried about whats going to happen in regards to finding a job more than anything tbh but I feel liberated now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm definitely hitting the pgce wall of self doubt and worry. I wake up thinking of lessons to do because I'm so worried that pupils will hate me and my classes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree, think i have cried at some point every day this week, just feeling so overwhelmed and useless. The Nqt in my dept is lovely and keeps telling me to stop dwelling on the screw up lessons and focus on the good lessons ive done but at the moment i just dont know how i can face the nqt year in september!
Original post by gemmam
I hope she still doesn't make me go to that meeting. Its with her and another tutor and I have a feeling its going to be an ambush (as the same happened to another student after she made a complaint about the course) and I don't feel mentally strong enough for that atm. I'm more worried about whats going to happen in regards to finding a job more than anything tbh but I feel liberated now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've been signed off. You can tell them where to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've been signed off. You can tell them where to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. I guess if I've been signed off I'm not really suppose to go in anyway due to insurance reasons. I realise there's probably going to be forms for me to complete but I'd rather do that via post or the admin staff rather than deal with them. I was worried about what would happen to my student fiance and bursary but I've discovered that I'd only have to pay back part of my maintenance grant straight away (although apparently if leave due to illness this isn't the case) and keep the bursary I have been paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have another trainee at their school in their department? We have eight trainees at my school, but we are all in different subjects, however my subject mentor told me we are getting someone else in my subject. I don't know how common it is, but it has annoyed me. My mentor only has two frees a week and I struggle to catch her for feedback as it is, without having another trainee to balance that with. I also feel that it will make things competitive.
Original post by gemmam
True. I guess if I've been signed off I'm not really suppose to go in anyway due to insurance reasons. I realise there's probably going to be forms for me to complete but I'd rather do that via post or the admin staff rather than deal with them. I was worried about what would happen to my student fiance and bursary but I've discovered that I'd only have to pay back part of my maintenance grant straight away (although apparently if leave due to illness this isn't the case) and keep the bursary I have been paid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've been signed off you can't go in, so they have no right to require you to, and they should know that. Don't worry, just relax now - you've been signed off, and you have a nice amount of time to do some thinking about what you want to do come September. Sorry that you've been messed around so much, I really feel for you. I hope that you have a better experience if you choose to start afresh!
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear this but can't help feeling it may be for the best in the long run. After a long time of not knowing what to do next, it may be quite a relief to have matters taken out of your hands by someone else, just to give you time to get your breath back. This will give you time to think clearly without being in the middle of the very situation that is making you ill.
I'm sorry to hear this but can't help feeling it may be for the best in the long run. After a long time of not knowing what to do next, it may be quite a relief to have matters taken out of your hands by someone else, just to give you time to get your breath back. This will give you time to think clearly without being in the middle of the very situation that is making you ill.

Yeah I also think its maybe for the best; I really annoyed its due to their mistake though.
Original post by gemmam
Yeah I also think its maybe for the best; I really annoyed its due to their mistake though.

I don't think anyone can blame you for that.
Original post by Airfairy
Does anyone have another trainee at their school in their department? We have eight trainees at my school, but we are all in different subjects, however my subject mentor told me we are getting someone else in my subject. I don't know how common it is, but it has annoyed me. My mentor only has two frees a week and I struggle to catch her for feedback as it is, without having another trainee to balance that with. I also feel that it will make things competitive.

If you've been signed off you can't go in, so they have no right to require you to, and they should know that. Don't worry, just relax now - you've been signed off, and you have a nice amount of time to do some thinking about what you want to do come September. Sorry that you've been messed around so much, I really feel for you. I hope that you have a better experience if you choose to start afresh!

I had another trainee and it was brilliant to have him for support and we bounced ideas off each other and suggested interesting things to be getting on with but then he left and I was quite heartbroken.

I was told yesterday that I'm getting a new lady trainee and now I'm like a child waiting for her baby sister to be born. It means I have to share my office again but ill take less space for somebody in the same position as me any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending