The Student Room Group

RAF RPAS Pilot

Hello all,

Here's a quick one for you:

What are the eyesight requirements to enter as a drone pilot? I know pilot is excellent vision, and I wear glasses so that's out.
But I'm hoping I can become an RPAS pilot.
My prescription is -2.00 in both eyes if that helps.
Reply 1
Original post by django5
Hello all,

Here's a quick one for you:

What are the eyesight requirements to enter as a drone pilot? I know pilot is excellent vision, and I wear glasses so that's out.
But I'm hoping I can become an RPAS pilot.
My prescription is -2.00 in both eyes if that helps.

Django, from the RAF careers health eligibility tab:

2) Eyesight requirements vary for different roles.

For any medical related questions, speak to the AFCO in the first instance, the official line is what you need, not someone's opinion on here. Everyone's circumstances are unique so just bite the bullet and find out if your personal ocular status is acceptable for RPAS Pilot.

Best of luck with your application, I have a few pals who do the sensor role on Reaper, and I know there's a lot of banter between them and the virtual stick monkeys and also with 'proper' pilots.

Ikky
Reply 2
You're probably right.

I called up the RAF careers phone number and was told that the eyesight requirements were the same for drone pilots as flying pilots. Though this was from a guy who said he didn't know what dioptres are.
Reply 3
Original post by django5
Though this was from a guy who said he didn't know what dioptres are.

So that makes him unqualified to say what the standards are?

His knowledge of dioptres only matters if he's an optician. You don't need to be an optician to be able to read out a line saying "standards are the same for all pilots".

Fwiw, the RPAS pilots are expected to fly during their training on an EFT-like course, so having those requirements is not a ridiculous thing.
Reply 4
I saw that. but the flying done is only basics of flight. Stuff you'd do in a PPL, which you can wear glasses for.

But they can choose to be picky; so there's no point getting upset over it.
Reply 5
Original post by django5
I saw that. but the flying done is only basics of flight. Stuff you'd do in a PPL, which you can wear glasses for.

But they can choose to be picky; so there's no point getting upset over it.

It's military flight training. Nobody else can get in with sub standard eyesight.

And it's not that similar to a PPL, otherwise you wouldn't get pilots here saying that a PPL is actually a hindrance to RAF training.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
It's military flight training. Nobody else can get in with sub standard eyesight.

And it's not that similar to a PPL, otherwise you wouldn't get pilots here saying that a PPL is actually a hindrance to RAF training.

What does it consist of?
Reply 7
Original post by django5
What does it consist of?

As I said, it's along the lines of EFT, but with some differences. I've only read what's available on open source, so I'm sure you'd be able to find the same things.

But to suggest EFT is "the stuff you'd do in a PPL" is incorrect, but I shall let the two-winged master race deal with the specifics, I was only ever a blunty.
Essentially I expect it'll be EFT minus the bits that RPAS won't/can't do, with maybe a bit more time consolidating the remaining skills. A fair few hours less than EFT I'd wager.

Quick Reply

Latest