The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to hear you were rejected :frown: was it post interview?
Original post by 96305
Thanks so much, hadn't realised that the questionnaire was still being used, more scared for that rather than the interview.
Appreciate the link!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't stress about the questionnaire - it has hardly any weighting and is only used in borderline cases :smile:
Original post by Sugarpuffx
Sorry to hear you were rejected :frown: was it post interview?

Yep :frown: was gutted - thought my interview went alright
Original post by Jaska

You've got another offer though - yes?
Original post by Dr Gin
You've got another offer though - yes?

yeah but I really liked Exeter, but I guess I should be grateful with my offer.
Original post by Jaska

Oh that's a shame :frown: when was your interview?
Reply 1926
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Don't stress about the questionnaire - it has hardly any weighting and is only used in borderline cases :smile:

Aw thanks for the reassurance. My interviews a reserve interview though that might come under borderline I'm not too sure. Doesn't matter anyway, just have to get on with it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone confirm for me whether Exeter uses PBL as it's teaching method for Medicine? I am under the impression that it does but just want to make doubly sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saxandthecity
Could anyone confirm for me whether Exeter uses PBL as it's teaching method for Medicine? I am under the impression that it does but just want to make doubly sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% yes, totally...
Hey guys at Plymouth I was told at the interview day that for the SSUs you can either do Biomedical sciences or medical humanities but they choose them for you based on your surname. Does anyone know if this is the same for Exeter coz the courses are very similar and it's quite likely that I'll be deciding between Exeter and Plymouth.
Original post by Haider302
Hey guys at Plymouth I was told at the interview day that for the SSUs you can either do Biomedical sciences or medical humanities but they choose them for you based on your surname. Does anyone know if this is the same for Exeter coz the courses are very similar and it's quite likely that I'll be deciding between Exeter and Plymouth.

Hey, I'm a medical student at exeter atm. In the first year we do 3 ssu's. The first one is a practice one, so the grade you get doesn't influence how you do in the year. For this one you can pick whichever theme you want. The themes are: Biomedical sciences, Healthcare, and medical humanities.

In SSU2, the students with the early surnames are given biomedical sciences, and later surnames are given healthcare, and the ones right at the end are given medical humanities. However they make sure that each student has done all the themes So if you do biomed and healthcare for SSU2 and SSU3 in the first year, then u will have to do medical humanities in the second, and vice versa, so basically all your surname is deciding is what order u do them in.

Also they say you get to choose your topic, and that's correct to an extent, but you have to pick 4 topics from a list for each ssu, and they allocate one of them. However when they allocate the topics, u have complete power over what u want to write about, as long as it is relevant to the selected topic. Hope that makes sense. Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by kashc94
Hey, I'm a medical student at exeter atm. In the first year we do 3 ssu's. The first one is a practice one, so the grade you get doesn't influence how you do in the year. For this one you can pick whichever theme you want. The themes are: Biomedical sciences, Healthcare, and medical humanities.

In SSU2, the students with the early surnames are given biomedical sciences, and later surnames are given healthcare, and the ones right at the end are given medical humanities. However they make sure that each student has done all the themes So if you do biomed and healthcare for SSU2 and SSU3 in the first year, then u will have to do medical humanities in the second, and vice versa, so basically all your surname is deciding is what order u do them in.

Also they say you get to choose your topic, and that's correct to an extent, but you have to pick 4 topics from a list for each ssu, and they allocate one of them. However when they allocate the topics, u have complete power over what u want to write about, as long as it is relevant to the selected topic. Hope that makes sense. Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you very much you just cleared everything up for me! Looks like I'll be picking Exeter over Plymouth if Cardiff doesn't work out then.
What does everyone think about the possibility of going to Truro following year 2?
Original post by ralphshack
What does everyone think about the possibility of going to Truro following year 2?

Everyone has to go at some point and tbh in my mind it's no Big deal! At pretty much all med schools you will be located elsewhere at some point during clinical years, and other students/friends will be moving with you so I don't think it will be much of an issue
Original post by ralphshack

The Exeter students I spoke to suggested that just as many students fight for it as try to avoid it: it's very popular and a much-loved placement with clinicians who really appreciate the novelty of teaching you (no massive number overload) so most people who are reluctant to go can avoid it if they desperately want to as someone else will more than likely swap with them…
Just firmed! :biggrin:
Any feb interviewees heard?
Nothing! Driving me mad!
So guys looks like I'm gonna firm on the 30th after I get rejected by Cardiff. Anyone know which halls are good to apply for in terms of accommodation?
Original post by Haider302
So guys looks like I'm gonna firm on the 30th after I get rejected by Cardiff. Anyone know which halls are good to apply for in terms of accommodation?

For medicine as we're on a different campus it's pretty much either Rowancroft or Rowancroft Mews. Both are self catered, Rowancroft is ensuite and more modern (but obvs more expensive!!) and mews is more basic and shared bathroom. Pretty much all med freshers live in one of these!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending